X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The device has a value equal to" being ignored by event

I have created an event with:
    IF This event is manually triggered
    AND IF This device has a value equal to... MYLIGHT is On.
    Then...

However despite the value of MYLIGHT it always runs the event. Am I misunderstanding the logic here?

Any help is appreciated.

How are you triggering the event?
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
      How are you triggering the event?
      I've tried triggering the event manually through the Android app and from the View > Events page on the web interface.

Comment

Yes, in both those ways conditions are ignored. You need a second event that triggers the original event and you need to check the checkbox in the new event that only runs the other event if the conditions are true.
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

HOMESEER STAFF: I see so many posts like this. I would not suggest changing how a Event is triggered, but maybe a warning message in the Log or a temporary pop-up warning message: "Advisory: When triggering Events manually, ALL Event Conditions are IGNORED!" Call it self instruction on the use of HS.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the help! After a bit of tinkering I was able to get this to work. However, when you have a condition that says "IF This event is manually triggered" and then you completely ignore that, then it not straight forward at all.

I must say that it creates a really convoluted mess of "nested" events. I can see the value of ignoring conditions as a troubleshooting feature, but the simplest thing to do would be to add a check box that says "Follow conditions when manually triggered"

Comment

FWIW, in my case, the use of 'if manually triggered' is useful for building events with functions that are needed in other different events. I think of them as a subroutine called by other functions.

An example - I have a simple alert that is called 'lightup outside'. It turns on all outside lights if it is evening and sets a timer for them to be on. It is called by several other events. No sense duplicating the logic and I like that it is all self contained so that I can change it in only one place.

Comment

Originally posted by Aldohr View Post
                Ok, thanks for the help! After a bit of tinkering I was able to get this to work. However, when you have a condition that says "IF This event is manually triggered" and then you completely ignore that, then it not straight forward at all.

I must say that it creates a really convoluted mess of "nested" events. I can see the value of ignoring conditions as a troubleshooting feature, but the simplest thing to do would be to add a check box that says "Follow conditions when manually triggered"
                It might make more sense to read it as "This Event is ONLY Manually triggered" When an Event is manually run from the Event Management page, from another Event, Google or Amazon voice or HSTouch, the trigger will ALWAYS be ignored.

Conditions are ignored in all of the above circumstances except when the event is called from another Event with "Run Only if other Event Conditions are TRUE" is checked.

A valid argument could be made that Conditions should be ignored when an Event is run from the Event Management page, but I would prefer that they are automatically honored when called from another Event unless specifically stipulated to be ignored. When an Event is run from HSTouch, Google or Echo, it would make more sense for the Conditions to be honored by default, then another Event could be used to run it if they were to be ignored.
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Prime example of how I use Manual Triggered Events (BTW, I agree that there should be some kinda warning to let new users know that conditions are ignored when an event is manually triggered). This one event will trigger another event, depending if conditions are met for that particular event.

May not be what you are looking for, but it does give some ideas on how the event engine can be twisted to do your bidding. I call this event from a script based off a few other perimeters (house being reset after coming out of cleaning mode where all the lights are turned on and fans turned off is the primary reason this event gets called)

Comment

Working...
                  X