event timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

event timing

I'm pondering the structure of an event that will turn on garage lights when motion is sensed through a zwave sensor. I'd like to ACTIVATE the motion sensor(s) at any time AFTER ONE HOUR BEFORE sunset. This seems like a tough one, but maybe another user can come up with a good solution.
    The only "options" that I can find inside HS3 will trigger an event at an EXACT time before sunset, not a moving timeline as the sun sets later in the day. My garage lights are needed before sunset, but I don't want to continually update trigger plan with motion sensed "after a set time" as the sun goes down later in the day.
    Thanks for any ideas,
    Peter

EasyTrigger will allow you to define time periods like that very easy. Otherwise you are limited to using the native "night time" option in HS (no before or after sunset/sunrise) or creating a bit more complex conditions. HS time starts at midnight and ends at 11:59 pm. So you cannot do it in one easy step (e.g. one hour before sunset till one hour after sunrise).

Comment

Use EasyTrigger to set up a time range and then use the time range in your If condition.

Edit: Yeah what he said

HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
      Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
      Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

Comment

EasyTrigger is a very powerful plug-in and well worth the cost, but if you do not want to do it that way you can create a virtual device that you turn on at the beginning of your desired time span and turn off at the end of it. Then use the status of that device as a condition on your event to turn on the lights.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

If you had the HomeSeer Floodlight Sensor or something similar you could use luminance as an input instead of a set time before sunset.

Comment

+1 for the HS Flood Light Sensors.

Without a Luminance sensor (like the ones built into the $40 HS Flood Light Sensors) I think your only options are to use the existing 'is night time' value, which does not meet your requirement for being able to activate the light(s) based on motion up to an hour before sunset. Or as others have suggested, create an event that runs an hour before sunset to turn on a virtual device which you can then check against.

If time is 1 hour before sunset
            Then turn on virtual device 'fakelux sensor'

If motion detected
            And if fakelux sensor is on
            And if light is not on
            Then clear delayed events
            Then turn on light
            Then turn off light in 5 minutes

If time is 1 hour after sunrise
            Then turn off virtual device 'fakelux sensor'

Or, with the installation of a Luminance sensor

If motion detected
            And if LuxFromSomeSensor is less than 50
            And if light is not on
            Then clear delayed events
            Then turn on light
            Then turn off light in 5 minutes

I think the advantage of a true Luminance sensor is that lights could be triggered when dark storm clouds roll in during the middle of the afternoon.

I've edited this post like three times.....

Comment

You could also use the hs.DisableEvent and hs.enableevent script commands Turn on the event at one time and turn off at another time. And if it only runs once you could also disableevent when it is triggered. I turn on a mailbox notifcation which speaks when a motion in the house (near a speaker) is triggered, and it then disables it until the next time.

Stuart

Comment

Thanks all for these solutions. The sensor tracking outside light level would be the simplest option I'm sure. I already use one coupled with a virtual device and sunset offset for regular indoor lights (sunset offset ensures indoor lights don't come on when thunderstorm passes overhead at 2pm). I'm not familiar with EasyTrigger but will take a look.

--Peter--
                Portsmouth, NH

Comment

Originally posted by P Dawson View Post
                  I'm pondering the structure of an event that will turn on garage lights when motion is sensed through a zwave sensor. I'd like to ACTIVATE the motion sensor(s) at any time AFTER ONE HOUR BEFORE sunset. This seems like a tough one, but maybe another user can come up with a good solution.
                  The only "options" that I can find inside HS3 will trigger an event at an EXACT time before sunset, not a moving timeline as the sun sets later in the day. My garage lights are needed before sunset, but I don't want to continually update trigger plan with motion sensed "after a set time" as the sun goes down later in the day.
                  Thanks for any ideas,
                  Peter
                  This is actually quite easy to do, but requires a virtual device and 3 events. Create virtual device (e.g., "Dusk"). Create events: 1) If time is 60 minutes before sunset, then turn Dusk on; 2) Create motion sensor activation event with the condition that Dusk is on; and 3) Create event to turn off Dusk, e.g., at sunrise.
                  "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
                  "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Now why did'n't I think of that???
                    Absoutely perfect!
                    --Peter--
                    New Hampshire

Comment

Easy Trigger offers two options - using a schedule or one of Easy Triggers Conditions. It is important to remember that your Trigger will be motion and you will use time as a Condition. If you have Easy Trigger, things lie this are EASY. Here is an example using an Easy Trigger schedule with a single Event. The Easy Trigger schedule is active from 1 hour before Sunset until 1 hour after sunrise and it is used as a Condition to restrict the Trigger. The driveway lights will turn on by motion and stay on as long as there is motion. They will turn off after motion has stopped for 15 minutes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	1 Size:	47.6 KB ID:	1293156
                      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
                      X