Motion lights off routine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion lights off routine

Wondering if someone can give me some insight as to how to get this event to trigger properly

I have an event to trigger the lights on when I enter a room - the sensor is located outside the room.
    I would like to have the lights turn off after (a set amount of time) when I leave the room. There is a second motion sensor in the room.

The on event works flawlessly.
    The problem I seem to have is that the lights are triggered (usually by pets/kids) and then the off event never triggers. The room is never actually entered (the sensor is in the hallway).

Any suggestions as to what I seem to be doing wrong.

I do not see any error in your logic, and it "should" work as you intend. There may be a subtle problem with the trigger in the off event if the motion sensor has been off for an extended period of time, but that is just a guess. As an alternative, you could change to a recurring trigger with two conditions: that the motion sensor has been off for more than 5 minutes and the light is on.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

You also need to check actual status of your devices when you have issues like that. I am now dealing with some motion sensors that stay OPEN occasionally after detecting movement. It doesn't happen all the time so it can be tricky to identify. Once someone walks by it will get back to normal operation. Unfortunately that can cause two issues.

1. Not turning light OFF.
      2. Not registering movement when you walk in.

Just something to keep an eye on..

Comment

The status indicator is functioning - will will change to motion (with motion) and eventually change back to the no motion status

- I guess the problem I am having with the event - is when no one actually enters the room
        - the lights on sensor is outside the room - I liked the timing of having the lights turned on before I entered - therefore no delay
        - the sensor that tracks further motion is in the room - when motion status turns to no motion - it should turn off
        - However, if no one enters the room - the sensor in the room remains in the no motion status. I thought that this should trigger the lights to turn off in 30 seconds - because the no motion status has been in place for longer than 5 minutes.

- I know there is something missing with my logic.

Comment

- The routine works flawlessly when I approach the room - lights turn on
          - I enter the room - move around for period of time and then leave
          - the lights turn off after set period of time

Comment

Originally posted by bills.hancock@gmail.com View Post
            I know there is something missing with my logic.
            I don't think so. I think it is an operational problem related to a hardware-software interaction. Did you try my suggestion?

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I think that's how it is currently set up...I have it set up so that if the status is no motion for five minutes and the light is on. I have also tried reversing things. If the light is on and the motion sensor is no motion for five minutes to have the event to trigger to lights off. Neither scenario seems to work.

But you are right...it seems to fail to trigger whenever the sensor in the room (not the hallway) is inactive for prolonged periods.

Comment

Originally posted by bills.hancock@gmail.com View Post
                I think that's how it is currently set up...
                Yes, I agree. That is how it LOOKS like it's set up, but it clearly isn't working that way. What I'm suggesting is to try the setup explicitly. (The 'condition' trigger of a device being off for more than... is a hold-over from HS2. I'm not sure why it was left in, but I'm suspicious that it may have some quirks.)

I don't have devices named the same as yours, but what I'm suggesting is to structure the event like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Recurring.PNG
Views:	290
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	1301601

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion...that seems to have worked perfectly.

Changed the event...to your recs and working like a charm

Comment

Interesting. Glad the alternative worked.

It'd be interesting to understand why your original event didn't work. I frequently use the same structure you were using, but am always wondering if it will work reliably. This is the first solid example I've encountered where it doesn't though.

Comment

Working...
                    X