Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion/ LUX based event not working

Hi everyone,

I can not figure out why this event is not working as expected. Essentially, I have two different motion events. One fires if the LUX level is below a certain amount, the other fires if it is above a certain amount. Please see below:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 12.14.12 PM.png
Views:	195
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	1313616
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 12.13.43 PM.png
Views:	216
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	1313615

For some reason, the "dark" event works (if I cover the LUX sensor) but the "bright" event never fires (obviously when the LUX level should have it fire). I tested just sending an email to eliminate a possible problem with the light I am trying to control but it never seems to fire.

Nothing jumps out in the logs but my logs are pretty noisy so it is possible I am missing something.

I am using the Aeotec Multisensor 6 as a LUX sensor and I have attached part of the status graphics setup if that makes any difference.

Thank you for your help!
    Attached Files

Some of what I noticed that could be problems.

Cancel event is cancelling the same event. Should it be the same?
    One is jowihue kitchen and the other is jowihue 14. Is this correct?

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, please see answers below:

Cancel event is canceling the same event. Should it be the same?
      Yes, this is correct. The event being canceled is the one that will turn the lights off after inactivity. The light 14 is a member of the Kitchen group, so turning the kitchen group off will also turn light 14 off as well.

One is jowihue kitchen and the other is jowihue 14. Is this correct?
      Yes, also correct. Kitchen is made up of several lights (including 14). The idea is when the LUX sensor indicates it is dark to turn on all the kitchen lights with motion but when the LUX sensor indicates it is bright in the room, only one light in a dark area of the kitchen will turn on with motion. I just never went to the trouble of moving every single Hue bulb into the correct room/ floor organization because I rarely call out a single bulb. Instead, I control the various Hue groups which are properly organized.

Thank you!

Comment

Is the Aeotec MultiSensor running on battery or powered? If it's on battery then it will report Lux based on the change interval it's configured for or with motion trigger but not Lux increase/decrease alone. Most multisensors that are battery do no report Lux changes automatically. The exception is the Hue motion sensor but there's a delay of the JowiHue plugin updating the values from the Hue bridge. Do you have a Hubitat hub? If so the Hue motion sensor can be paired direct to that hub and then the Lux is updated in realtime.

Comment

Hi,

Thank you. The sensor is actually USB powered, not on battery. It seems to report the LUX changes frequently enough when I look at the device view.

Attached is a photo of my settings of the Aeotec sensor.

I do have a Hue motion sensor I could test with but I am using the Hue bridge so the delay you mention would still be an issue.

That said, the events seem to read the LUX value correctly, it is just not doing what I expect it to. Meaning, when the LUX value is high, it is not triggering the full kitchen lights on event but it is also not triggering the single light. When it is dark, it is triggering the full kitchen as expected.

Thank you!
          Attached Files

Comment

Looking through the event I would start by simplifying it to the bare minimum to verify basic on/off then build it up from there.

Comment

Hi,

So rebuilding a stripped down version of the event, when the event has
              AND IF Room Sensors Kitchen Kitchen LUX has a value that is less than 40
              it works fine. When I switch it to:
              AND IF Room Sensors Kitchen Kitchen LUX has a value that is greater than 40
              it does not fire (of course, adjusting the light level to make sure it would fire). So, I am thinking it either (i) a glitch in HS evaluating the values or (ii) more likely, maybe something wrong with how I set up the status graphics of the device? I did not change anything when the device was created so don't think it is being caused by that but I am totally stumped.

Comment

Originally posted by fx12002 View Post
                Hi,

So rebuilding a stripped down version of the event, when the event has
                AND IF Room Sensors Kitchen Kitchen LUX has a value that is less than 40
                it works fine. When I switch it to:
                AND IF Room Sensors Kitchen Kitchen LUX has a value that is greater than 40
                it does not fire (of course, adjusting the light level to make sure it would fire). So, I am thinking it either (i) a glitch in HS evaluating the values or (ii) more likely, maybe something wrong with how I set up the status graphics of the device? I did not change anything when the device was created so don't think it is being caused by that but I am totally stumped.
                Why are they "AND IF" what is the trigger in this case? How are you changing the Lux in the room for testing?

Comment

Hi,

Sorry, I clipped the condition preceding the AND IF which was just if the motion sensor has motion ...

I am using a powerful flashlight and waiting to confirm the LUX value has changed in the Devices view before testing. Again, what is odd is one of the two events fires (if less than 40 lux) but the other one (greater than 40 lux) never would fire.

BUT, an update to this on my end:
                  I switched to using EasyTrigger's AND IF This Expression is True to evaluate the LUX value (eg my LUX device is device 1448 so this expression "IF $$DVR:1448: > 45") it works.

So, I am still using two events but instead of the stock HS3 device's is value is, I am using EasyTrigger and that is working exactly as expected.
                  IF Any device in group KitchenAreaMotions changes and becomes 8
                  AND IF Motion Sensors Global_Lighting_Modes Global Motion Inhibit has a value equal to Normal Motion
                  AND IF $$DVR:1448: < 45 is true
                  Then Set Device Hue Group Kitchen Kitchen to Device Global Global_TOD_Related TOD_Level

And my other event is:
                  IF Any device in group KitchenAreaMotions changes and becomes 8
                  AND IF Motion Sensors Global_Lighting_Modes Global Motion Inhibit has a value equal to Normal Motion
                  AND IF $$DVR:1448: > 45 is true
                  Then Set Device JowiHue JowiHue 14 (CT) to Device Global Global_TOD_Related TOD_Color + 75
                  So, I am glad to have it working but totally stumped why this is working and the stock HS3 evaluation was not working. All I did was modify the existing events so I didn't even have to start totally fresh. The only change that made a difference was the switch to EasyTrigger from stock HS3.

Thank you, would still love any insights on what is going on!

Comment

Now that is interesting...perhaps rjh would have some insight into this...

Comment

Working...
                    X