Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Event to trigger motion on-off coexist with manual on-off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event to trigger motion on-off coexist with manual on-off?

I would like to use a motion sensor to trigger a light switch to go on, then off after a certain period. No problems there. However, I would also want to be able to turn on the same light manually and have it stay on until i manually turn it off. In other words, when the light is triggered by motion, the timer event will turn off the light. If the light was turned on manually, I don't want the event timer to internven.

Here is the rub: If I manually turn on the light and enter the motion area, the event will activate and turn off the light after a period.

Question: Is it possible to detect when the light was turned on manually and disable the motion event until the light is turned off manually again?

It would be even better if during a motion event and the light is triggered on, when I manually press the on switch, the light will just stay on.

Any idea how to accomplish this? Thanks.

We use HomeSeer switches for this. With the central scene device it is easy to detect local control. Our methodology is the light is turned on by motion, then turned off 5 minutes after the last motion. If the top paddle is held down for a couple of seconds, the light is turned on and motion control is disabled via a virtual device. The light will remain on until manually turned off. Additionally if the bottom paddle is held for a couple of seconds the motion control is disabled with the lights off. If the light is turned on or off by a single tap, motion control is restored.
    Randy Prade
    Aurora, CO
    Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

I learn a lot by reading other people's posts. I had not previously noticed that "paddle held down" and "paddle released" are scene selection options. Thanks, rprade!

Comment

I am curious on how to get this to work also. My scenario is that I have lights being controlled with motion and luminence. However, sometimes if someone is reading in the room and wants the lights on but they don't meet the luminence trigger, then if we ask Alexa to turn on the lights they will come on but then they will turn off after the time with no motion and the luminence is too high. How would I keep the lights on once we ask them to go on and it isn't in the event triggers.

Comment

Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post
          I am curious on how to get this to work also. My scenario is that I have lights being controlled with motion and luminence. However, sometimes if someone is reading in the room and wants the lights on but they don't meet the luminence trigger, then if we ask Alexa to turn on the lights they will come on but then they will turn off after the time with no motion and the luminence is too high. How would I keep the lights on once we ask them to go on and it isn't in the event triggers.
          Create a virtual device for the room override that is turned on when you use Alexa to turn on the room light. In your auto-off event make that virtual device's value a condition so the light won't go off it the VD is on. You'll have to decide on a strategy for turning the VD off...an alexa command, timer, central scene activation, etc.
          -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by snovvman View Post
            I would like to use a motion sensor to trigger a light switch to go on, then off after a certain period. No problems there. However, I would also want to be able to turn on the same light manually and have it stay on until i manually turn it off. In other words, when the light is triggered by motion, the timer event will turn off the light. If the light was turned on manually, I don't want the event timer to internven.

Here is the rub: If I manually turn on the light and enter the motion area, the event will activate and turn off the light after a period.

Question: Is it possible to detect when the light was turned on manually and disable the motion event until the light is turned off manually again?

It would be even better if during a motion event and the light is triggered on, when I manually press the on switch, the light will just stay on.

Any idea how to accomplish this? Thanks.
            Indeed the virtual device is the way to go.

- create a virtual device, call it something like "Livingroom light manual trigger". It can be hidden from view, or stuffed into a "Virtual Devices" Floor (that's what I do) so that it's out of the way.
            - Create Event that says "If central scene has been turned on, then turn the virtual device on"
            - Create Event that says "If central scene has been turned off, then turn the virtual device off"
            - Change your Event that says "If light has been on for 5 minutes, turn off" so that it has an additional condition that says "AND if "Livingroom light manual trigger is OFF". In other words, the event that turns the light off automatically only triggers if the Virtual device is ALSO off.

That's it. So now, if you walk in, motion can turn it on as normal. You walk out, after 5 min it turns off. If you tap the switch on, it goes on and stays on until you tap the switch off. after that, regular motion control resumes.

There are variations on this that could be implemented depending on your specific devices.

regards,

Paul

Comment

I am just using a "ABCZoneMotionEnable" virtual device. Motion is enabled or disabled as needed (night/day etc) and voice commands to work with the objects in those zones turn off or on the associated MotionEnable device. If there is no Alexa in a given zone (outside) then a simple scene controller is used and if the lights/objects are activated by it, MotionEnable is turned off.

I find this is really only needed where people "sit"...deck and living room areas. In active areas such as a shop or kitchen, I don't bother. So, voice commands such as "Deck Time" will set the lights as needed and turn off motion monitoring. I don't bother resetting them as they will be reset with the end of day clean up.

Yes this is a small pain as you want to enter a space and have that space set up for you, but if you park your rear end in a chair for ten minutes it will assume you have left. Since we don't have another way, if you plan to camp in a somewhat immobile way, they you need to trigger it. That said one way I have addressed it is to make 90% of the space automatic (four of five lights in a given room) so if I go into a room all lights but one will trigger and If I am going to stay in the room I will turn the other on (voice/phone/paddle) and if that light is on, then the no motion event will not fire. Another way of phrasing this is that motion enabled lighting is simply safety and illumination, but if I want a room for occupancy, I still trigger something. Example...my deck has four lighting elements. Three come on with motion and will go off after a bit. If the fourth is on, then motion cancelled.

Use your imagination and pick one path.

Comment

Working...
              X