Email Event Repeats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Event Repeats

What does Remove Event After Triggering do? I have a few 'Text Me' events, and they continuously send text at flood level after triggering. I fix this by not allowing the event to run for an hour, or ten minutes, or whatever annoyance is acceptable. But on something that I want to only send one email, what do I do? What does remove event after triggering do? And I use'Changes and Becomes' as the Trigger, so I thought that will/would only trigger the one time. Where am I going wrong?

Remove after triggering will delete the event, so probably not what you're looking for.

Post a screenshot of an example event that's giving problems. Changes and becomes sounds right.
    -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
      What does Remove Event After Triggering do? I have a few 'Text Me' events, and they continuously send text at flood level after triggering. I fix this by not allowing the event to run for an hour, or ten minutes, or whatever annoyance is acceptable. But on something that I want to only send one email, what do I do? What does remove event after triggering do? And I use'Changes and Becomes' as the Trigger, so I thought that will/would only trigger the one time. Where am I going wrong?
      "Remove Event After Triggering" will permanently delete your event after it triggers. Its meant for something you want to run once and only once and then want to forget about.

If you have the "Easy Trigger" plugin, there is a similar function called "Disable Event" which turns off the event but doesn't delete it and, thus, you can re-enable it at some point. For example, you could have another event that re-enables disabled events at midnight.

"Changes and Becomes" should only trigger on a change (and not when the device re-sends the same value multiple times), but what might be happening is that your device is going from the triggered value, back to the "normal" value, then changes back to the triggered value, then back to normal, etc. etc., each of those would register a "change" and re-trigger your event. This might happen, e.g., with a sensor that is hovering right about its trigger value, bouncing back / forth between triggered and untriggered values.

Comment

I have three techniques that I use to control the sending of alert messages.
        • As jvm noted, if I can use the "changes and becomes" trigger, then the event will only run once when something happens. That is useful for situations where I want to get alerted each time something happens.
        • If I want to be reminded (nagged) about something I set the "cannot re-run for" time.
        • In cases were I want to be notified once for something that has been in an unwanted state for too long, then I add a virtual device that I use as a flag. When the alert is sent, I turn on the device. The event has a condition that the device is off, so it won't resend until I turn off the device, which is typically coupled to "fixing" the condition, like closing a gate that has been open for too long.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
          A picture eliminates 1000 guesses. Can you post a screenshot of the offending Event?

Randy Prade
          Aurora, CO
          Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Alright, so I apparently got you guys all worked up for nothing.
            the Garage door event is an if has been open for 10 mins send an email, so it’s not a changed and becomes.
            The water detected event has other criteria that has been set or something (attached) which is probably he offending condition. I’d probably have to add a virtual device and have this event change the VD, and the VD trigger the email.
            Attached Files

Comment

You can add

AND IF Weather Sensor IRRIGATION Irrigation Rain Delay VD = Off

with each of the 3 triggers (3 separate AND IF conditions) and that should make the event only fire when the device is initially turned on.

edit: If you have EasyTrigger another way would be to change the Set Device action to this

Set Device To Expression [if($DEVICEVALUE = 0, 1, 1)]

and check the box to only send command if expression results in new value.

Note that my expression example assumes 0 = off and 1 = on.
              -Wade

Comment

I have Easy Trigger, but I've never used expressions. I don't really know how to use it. but anyways, so I tried to use Changes and Becomes on all of these, but the first one doesn't really have a changes and becomes, it's a Weather XML Trigger. I'm also not sure both of those weather xml entries with the percentage aren't basically the same device.
                Ohh, and I see what you're saying about the VD already being on. That would prevent firing again. Good catch.
                Attached Files

Comment

No Rain
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X