Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Event only working when manually run, not from external trigger (eg switch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Event only working when manually run, not from external trigger (eg switch)

Hi, this question involves a number of plug-ins but I don't think the issue is specific to any of them. Below, first is a TLDR of the problem, followed with more detail:

TLDR: Using RadioRA2 plugin, I have a keypad button for shade control. The event uses EasyTrigger to toggle the shade between Up & Down. For the shade control, I am using the Somfy RTS to Z-Wave device. If I run the event directly in HS, it works as expected. If I use the keypad, the event will not run.

TLDR Troubleshooting I already performed: To confirm the keypad press was working as expected, I swapped the device I am trying to control. Instead of the shade, it is just a normal light. When I press the button, it toggles the light on and off, as expected. It is only the event that involves the shade device that does not seem to be working.

Possible cause: I am wondering if the issue relates to how the device status is setup? I don't see anything obviously wrong, but pictures are below. I am totally stumped with this issue, it is driving me nuts so hope someone can help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 2.22.39 PM.png
Views:	289
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1329353
    Listing of devices associated with the shade motor. Devices #1171 & 1172 seem to be somewhat redundant. I have tried using both devices, same result.

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 2.22.57 PM.png
Views:	277
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1329351
    Details of the device status for #1171

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 2.23.07 PM.png
Views:	311
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	1329352
    Advanced info on the device, if that helps

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 2.24.25 PM.png
Views:	342
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1329350
    Event that does NOT work when run by the keypad (it does work when manually run)

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 2.24.55 PM.png
Views:	394
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1329349
    This event DOES work when run by the keypad, proving that the keypad presses are being heard by the system.

Hope this post makes sense, please let me know if there are questions. I am so stumped by this problem, I have no idea why this is not working.

Thank you!

There is a special call in the ICAP Handler for turning things on or turning things off. You actually specify which of the control values is on, and which is off, by using the Control Use field (which you have specified).

Which explains why it is working for on and off, but not up and down.

Comment

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply. I am not sure if I follow what my fix should be though. Do I need to change something in the status setup?

To be clear, the On/ Off event is just turning a lamp on/ off. I wanted to confirm the actual button press was being sent.

If I manually run the shade event (that uses Up, Down), it works fine. Meaning if I click the button below:

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 4.30.08 PM.png
Views:	279
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	1329373
      .. the shade responds as expected. It just doesn't work when triggered by the keypad.

Thank you again!

Comment

Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
        There is a special call in the ICAP Handler for turning things on or turning things off. You actually specify which of the control values is on, and which is off, by using the Control Use field (which you have specified).

Which explains why it is working for on and off, but not up and down.
        ”Control Use” has only to do with voice commands, not normal CAPI controls. On and Off or Up and Down are Status assigned to values and would be completely valid in an Action.

That being said, I cannot see why the event is not working. Without Conditions, there should be no difference whether triggered by the keypad or manually. The fact that it runs manually proves Easy Trigger is toggling between the two values.

Just for the sake of experimentation, build a manually triggered event that toggles the shades and another event triggered by the keypad button calling the manual event. Then look at the log and see which events run.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Hi,

Thank you, so here is the latest:

Randy's suggestion: I did what you suggested, created a manually run event for toggling the shades up/ down and then another event that will trigger said manual event on button press. In the log, the event is being run as expected but the shades are still not responding.

If I manually run the event from the browser, the shades operate as expected.

Additional Observations:
          With more testing, the event will sometimes work. There is no obvious consistency or pattern to figure out why the event will sometimes fire. Perhaps this is a problem with the ZRTSI Somfy device, BUT, why would it be able to work perfectly when controlled from the web browser?

Sometimes a very long press on the Lutron keypad will fire the event but again, this is not at all consistent and any other event I have made tied to the same keypad runs instantly via a short press.

EDIT/ Update: I created an event to raise the shade at a specific time. This event worked exactly as expected. Below is the event that worked:

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 5.56.50 PM.png
Views:	355
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1329384

Additional things I have tried:
          - Mapping the event to a Z-Wave central scene button - This is working slightly better than the Lutron keypad but is still very inconsistent.
          - Using EasyTrigger to define an explicit expression rather than the "Up" or "Down" options (shouldn't matter, but figured I'd try). Again, no difference.

This is one of the most perplexing home automation issues I have encountered. The first instinct would be to blame the Somfy device but that can't explain why it works perfectly when manually operated via the browser HS3 interface. The wife may murder me as we designed the entire shade system around being able to operate it via the keypads, etc. and I just can't figure out what is going on with this.

Thank you all for your help, happy to test any ideas!

Comment

OK. Another experiment. Create a new event group call it “test” build the event triggered by the keypad and with the Easy Trigger toggle from scratch and put it in the new group. See if that works.
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Hi,

Thank you - so I tried a fresh start in a new event group but same results.

That said, I think I finally found a pattern of behavior. Rather than a quick press of the button, I must hold the keypad button and then the shade events run more or less as expected. This is odd because other devices linked to the keypad don't require this long press ...

This could be related to the Lutron plugin but I suspect it has to do with the Somfy device specifically, for a few reasons. First, as I mentioned above, other devices on my system respond instantly to a quick, normal single press. Second, when I tried this with Z-Wave scene devices, I had inconsistent responses as well.

To me, it seems almost like the Somfy device needs the command to "last" longer if that makes sense. Open to any suggestions. Next, I am going to try an event where the command is repeated twice to see if that matters (obviously, can't be a toggle at that point).

Thank you all again!

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what happens to the value of the device "LUTRONRA2 Living Room Living Keypad" when you press and release the keypad button for Shades? Does it remain at the value assigned to "Shades" or does it revert to another value when you release the button?
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Sorry for the late reply - you may be on to something - I need to test this when I get back home.

A workaround that I figured basically was just to duplicate the keypress event so it would run twice. This seems to work reliably (though with some delay). Perhaps this relates to what you are asking me about?

Another way I could approach the event is to use the button LED as the trigger for the event (eg IF shade button LED is on, THEN ...).

Are you thinking that there are different press and release values and thus if the key press is too short, it does not register as a press in Homeseer?

Thank you!

Comment

I don't have much of a theory, mostly because I am not familiar with the hardware you are using. I'm just wondering if the keypad button is acting as a "momentary" signal that is being misinterpreted by the event (or plug-in) in some way.
                    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I'm not an expert, but have you tried putting "0, 255" instead of "Up, Down"?

Comment

Thank you, yes, I did try using the values as well as via EasyTrigger as a string. Same results.

Comment

Not sure if this is your issue, if you are running Somfy motors via Somfy Z-Wave to RTS interface (model 1811265), I found out that code 0 and code 99 works best for closing and opening the shades. The preconfigured code 255 is what my scene sends, it does not work with it, and I cannot change it when programming via scenes no matter what the device configuration says. But if I update z-wave device for the shade in HS with 99 instead 255 all works manually and from an event as well. Here are the values I ended up tweaking.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 7.07.01 PM.png
Views:	222
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	1360873

Comment

Working...
                          X