Where did I go wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where did I go wrong?

Scratching my head on this one, and the hamster inside is getting annoyed by the scratching noise.

Each bedroom has a minimote. When the occupant goes to bed, they push the minimote, which turns off the lights and occupancy sensing for that room. It also decrements a counter. Once the counter reaches zero (meaning everyone has gone to bed), several housekeeping chores kick off, i.e. lock all the doors, make sure the garage doors are closed, set the hallway lights so they are dimmed down to 15%, etc. The event logic was:

If Awake Count value becomes this :0
    Then blah, blah, blah.

If I decremented the Awake Count using the timers/counters/ screen, it runs fine. If I decrement it as part of another event, nada.

While trying to figure out why it wasn't triggering, I realized I did have a logic error, namely that if it had been triggering, it would trigger continuously. Changed the logic so the event above turns on a virtual device, while a second event uses the "device changes and becomes" logic to kick off the housekeeping event a single time.

I'm still stuck with the original problem, namely why is the counter = 0 not being recognized when it's changed as part of an event?
    My system is described in my profile.

JLehnert, I tried several variants of what I think you are doing, and I was unable to recreate the failure. Do you see the counter value decrementing to 0 on the Device List page? And could you post the event that won't trigger, as well as one of the events that decrements the counter?

Comment

Originally posted by JLehnert View Post
      I'm still stuck with the original problem, namely why is the counter = 0 not being recognized when it's changed as part of an event?
      It might help if you posted a screen shot of the events that do not appear to be working properly.

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sleep Status Capture.PNG
Views:	178
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1333280
        Here you go.

At noon, the system sets the Awake Count to zero, and then increments it upwards based on how many bedrooms are occupied. The check for nighttime above was a quick and dirty was to prevent the event from triggering when the count is zeroed at noon.

Comment

And here's one of the events that decrements the counter

Name:	MBR Sleeping Capture.PNG
Views:	197
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1333286

Comment

Did you verify that the "Awake Count" increases correct? That seems to be an event you forgot to show screenshot on. Because if you end up with a much higher number than expected you will never reach '0' when decrementing it by a lower number of occupants.

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post
              Did you verify that the "Awake Count" increases correct? . . .if you end up with a much higher number than expected you will never reach '0' when decrementing it by a lower number of occupants.
              That does seem like a possible source of error. It might be informative to add a WriteLog event to record the Awake Count each time it changes.

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I've been testing with the event screen on one tab, and the counters on a second. Can verify that the counter was at 1 prior to the event, and 0 afterward.

Comment

This event works fine, so another indicator that the counter is zero.

Name:	Balcony Evening Capture.PNG
Views:	206
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1333304

Comment

JLehnert in programming 0 is also often FALSE and can lead to unexpected issues when doing comparison logic on it, so can you adjust your events to reset at '100' on noon, and then trigger on '100'? Should not require any modifications to the other events for increment/decrement. Feel free to start at '1', but figured '100' gives you a start of '0' and don't think you live in a castle with more than 99 bedrooms

Comment

The balcony motion event is interesting.
                      I can think of only two possibilities.
                      1. Using "the counter becomes 0" as a trigger is not working correctly.
                      2. The event is corrupted. Have you tried recreating the event from scratch to see if the behavior changes?

If it is the first, then you might try changing the event to a recurring time event with three conditions:
                      And If Awake Count is 0
                      And If the time is nighttime
                      and If Sleep Status is Off

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                        The balcony motion event is interesting.
                        Interesting in what way? In that it works but the other doesn't?

In effect, I did recreate it from scratch when I moved the comparison against the counter to a new event to prevent multiple execution of the housekeeping tasks.

I'm going to go with #1, namely that the "Counter becomes 0" is not working, or that type of comparison can't be used as a trigger. I give it a try as a recurring event later this afternoon.

Comment

Interesting because the counter set to zero appears to work as a condition, but not as a trigger.

Comment

A-A-N-D your suggestion to convert it into a recurring event did the trick. I was about to start throwing things when I made the change and it still didn't work, until I noticed that I hadn't turned the event back on after disabling it. Turned it back on and it worked like a charm. Now to see if it works "outside the lab" when I go to bed tonight.

Comment

JLehnert , your screenshots show that your events are invoking Options, but you don't say what they are. Is it possible that any of your selected options may be relevant to your problem?

Comment

Working...
                              X