Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to set gradual brighten "wake up lights"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to set gradual brighten "wake up lights"?

Winter is coming and the sun is going to be up later. I'd like to set the bedroom lights to gradually brighten over a period of time. What's the best way to have this set up? Say start at 10% and gradually brighten to 100% over 15-30 minutes.

I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that there ought to be several ways to do this easily, but most of them I have not been able to make work. The good news is that the following approach (assuming you have EasyTrigger) will work:

Assume your bedroom light is off. You start the lighting process by triggering an event something like this (substituting your bedroom light device for what I call Office Ceiling Lights):

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-10-14_10-37-53.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	1332953
    When your bedroom light comes on at the dim level, it will trigger an event that looks like this:

Name:	2019-10-14_10-39-21.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1332951

Here you are starting at a dim level of 10%. The brightening event increments brightness by 1% at 20 second intervals, so you should get to full brightness in about a half-hour. You can play with the trigger rate to change the brightening rate.

I don't know why the drop down list stops at 98%, but it doesn't really matter.

I ran into major difficulty when I tried to implement the IF condition as a change in the detected device value. So I'm unhappy to have unresolved issues, but what I offered above will work.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dannieboiz View Post
      Winter is coming and the sun is going to be up later. I'd like to set the bedroom lights to gradually brighten over a period of time. What's the best way to have this set up? Say start at 10% and gradually brighten to 100% over 15-30 minutes.

Insteon lights can do this natively. Brighten over 9 minutes is one of the ramp up options and have used it in the past.

Otherwise, you will have to create multiple events over desired time. I suppose you could even do a recurring event over a period of time.

What lighting system do you have?
      HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

If you don't have the EasyTrigger plugin, you can do so with scripting too: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...hten-over-time
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

A script could also do what is needed. You could write one which accepts passed parameters such as the unit to change, a start and end level (0 and 100% or even 25 to 75%) and then a time. Of course, if it is always the same device and the time and ramp rate are the same, then you could hard code all of that to make it easier. S=Would be something like:

Code:
          Sub Main(Parm As Object)
             Dim DevRef As Integer
             Dim rampDelay As Integer
             Dim rampLevel As Integer
             Dim currLevel As Integer
             DevRef = hs.GetDeviceRefByName("Fireplace Inside Lights")
             rampDelay = 30
             rampLevel = 20
             currLevel = 0

Do
                currLevel = currLevel + rampLevel
                hs.CAPIControlHandler(hs.CAPIGetSingleControl(DevRef,false,currLevel ,false,true))
                hs.WaitSecs(rampDelay)
             Loop Until currLevel > (99 - rampLevel)

hs.CAPIControlHandler(hs.CAPIGetSingleControl(DevRef,false,"On" ,false,true))

End Sub
          Passing values to Parm and using them to define the _Level variables and the device name would make this generic
          Karl S
          HS4Pro on Windows 10
          1070 Devices
          56 Z-Wave Nodes
          104 Events
          HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
          Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

As a further refinement of ericg's suggestion in post #2, you might also include a mechanism that will override the dimming effect if the light switch is manually operated.
            One way to do it:
            Set up a "virtual device" - i.e., a simple on/off switch. Include it as an "and" in the "Office Slowly Brighten" conditions. If off, then don't run the dimming effect. If on, then the dimming effect event can be run.
            At the start of your event, i.e., in the "Office Set Dim" event, turn the switch "On"

Have another event whereby, if the Central Scene device associated with your light switch is changed (indicating someone manually touched the switch) turn the virtual switch "off" which then overrides / stops your dimming effect event.

Comment

See this thread for a script which uses passed parameters to do what you are asking if you are interested in that option.
              Discussions related to the creation of HS3 Automation Events
              Karl S
              HS4Pro on Windows 10
              1070 Devices
              56 Z-Wave Nodes
              104 Events

Comment

Using Z-Wave for lights?
                /ZWaveScenes

Name:	scene.PNG
Views:	659
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1333292
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                  Using Z-Wave for lights?
                  /ZWaveScenes

I think this is exactly what I need. However, under the device selection, there are only half of my zwave devices. Any idea?

Comment

I believe the device needs to be scene capable.
                    Karl S
                    HS4Pro on Windows 10
                    1070 Devices
                    56 Z-Wave Nodes
                    104 Events

Comment

So here's what I discovered, all of my Linear and Zooz wall switches shows up. Hell even my Zwave locks show up but none of my light module mainly gocontrol this is a pretty generic module, schlage and some other company rebadge them. This is a big blow if I can't make it work cause testing it on what's available allows it to work really nicely.

Comment

Those z-wave scenes work great until you have to rebuild your z-wave database. My experience is that the scenes disappear at that point. I prefer the script approach.
                        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I test using the provided script but all it does is delay the lights from coming on for 30

NVM I'm an idiot... vamp level is how much at a time. duh! Thanks you for this!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Set the initial rampLevel to a value less than 100 to get them to ramp up and the rampDelay to a value in seconds for the time between each change in brightness. I had rampLevel at 20 and rampDelay at 30 so they came on at 20%, it waited 30 seconds and added another 20%, looping in this until it reached a point higher than 98 minus the ramp level. The it exits the loop and sets the device to On for a full brightness. My units would not accept a value of 99 or higher so they stopped at 80% Your modification will set it at 1% then 30 seconds later bring it up bright. 1% may not show any light.

I also linked an older post with what is probably a better script by, I believe sparkman, which takes input.
                            Karl S
                            HS4Pro on Windows 10
                            1070 Devices
                            56 Z-Wave Nodes
                            104 Events

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                              Using Z-Wave for lights?
                              /ZWaveScenes

Where can I find this dialog?
                              My system is described in my profile.

Comment