Need help with Run command from e-mail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Run command from e-mail

Looking for a good starting point on how to use Events from e-mail with embedded commands. The help file is a bit thin on that subject. I tried simply adding and &hs,xxx command in the e-mail body with no luck.

Can you post additional detail about what you are trying to do?

In the interim, one thing I’ve had success with, in events, is testing relatively simple things like turn on a light using the email-received trigger with various parameters (e.g., email received containing specific text). Once I had the triggers down, the “then” part of the event - the action HS does when a specific email is received - was easy to change/update.

I use a specific phrase in an email to force a reboot, for example, as an additional way to regain control should HS appear to be locked up. Sometimes it’s just the interface that’s hung up, so that beats “pulling the plug” with a hard reset. But in my experience, it’s the trigger (the “if”) that takes a little bit of practice.

Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

Thanks Madcodger.

This winter, I will receive an e-mail from my electrical utility, shall there be a need to engage a saving mode and get an incentive rebate on energy saved, during does peak periods. My initial taught was to have a Rule on my regular account to forward these e-mail to my Gmail account while adding an HS command like
      • &hs.SetDeviceValueByRef(1103, 100, True)"
      My presumption was that HS was parsing the body for known HS commands.

Between my initial post and now, I realized that my free e-mail account does have the same rules capability that I was used to work with in an Exchange set-up, I can forward an e-mail based on some conditions but cannot add text to it. So it looks like I'll end-up putting togeter a script to parse the forwarded, incoming e-mail. Getting the Event to trigger was not an issue and like you said, was able to simply turn a light on to start with.

Even if I'm taking a different path, I'd still be curious to know how embedded commands works.

Comment

Originally posted by Michel View Post
        Thanks Madcodger.

...So it looks like I'll end-up putting together a script to parse the forwarded, incoming e-mail. Getting the Event to trigger was not an issue and like you said, was able to simply turn a light on to start with.
        On second taught I may be to parse directly in the If section. I'll need to see what they send exactly. Now wondering what is the "Regular expression" check box in the If section?

Comment

Did you see this in the help file? The available commands and syntax are under the section "Run Commands from a Received Email".
          https://help.homeseer.com/help/HS3/s....event_actions

I've never used these, so can't say for sure it's as simple as it appears.
          -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
            Did you see this in the help file? The available commands and syntax are under the section "Run Commands from a Received Email".
            https://help.homeseer.com/help/HS3/s....event_actions
            I was looking at the Trigger portion of the help file and did not realize there was an Action one. Dho! Now I see that there is a specific syntax.

Thanks cc4005

Comment

Working...
            X