Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should be a simple event but can't figure out

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should be a simple event but can't figure out

    I am new to HS3 event, not sure what I missed on a simple event.

    I'd like to do the following: during night time, if a door is opened, turn a light on. (If door is left open, do nothing).

    First when I select a time condition, "is nigh time" is not available.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	conditon1.png
Views:	93
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	1346492

    ok, no problem, I will select "time is before sunrise" then and if time is after sunset.... but after I select the first time condition "time is night time" becomes available.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	conditon2.png
Views:	79
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1346493

    It's not a problem, but I am confused why the system is setup this way.

    Now moving on to the door sensor, for some reason "device is changed and becomes..." option isn't available on this screen. (although I used it many times in other events)

    Click image for larger version

Name:	condition3.png
Views:	77
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1346494

    I am sure HS3 is capable of doing this, but can't figure out how to set it up.

  • #2
    Originally posted by cjin View Post
    I am new to HS3 event, not sure what I missed on a simple event.

    I'd like to do the following: during night time, if a door is opened, turn a light on. (If door is left open, do nothing).

    First when I select a time condition, "is nigh time" is not available.



    ok, no problem, I will select "time is before sunrise" then and if time is after sunset.... but after I select the first time condition "time is night time" becomes available.



    It's not a problem, but I am confused why the system is setup this way.

    Now moving on to the door sensor, for some reason "device is changed and becomes..." option isn't available on this screen. (although I used it many times in other events)


    I am sure HS3 is capable of doing this, but can't figure out how to set it up.
    First of all, you you need to think about the Trigger. The IF is a trigger. It is designed to be the point at which an Event is started. The Trigger is not a certain time, it is when the door is opened. When the door is opened you want the light to come on. Now you want to limit it with a Condition of Nighttime, so that the light will come on when the door is opened and if it is nighttime.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	capture.png Views:	0 Size:	29.7 KB ID:	1346496
    Randy Prade
    Aurora, CO
    Prades.net

    PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

    Comment


    • #3
      You really need to read rprade's sticky note(index is at https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...tents?t=172984).
      This will explain a lot about the Homeseer Event system and it' peculiarities. You are mixing up "Triggers"(If statements and OrIf statements) and "Conditions"(AndIf statements). If it's not clear from his write up come back and post.

      Comment


      • #4
        Got it. Thank you both! I was confused and didn't distinguish between "trigger" and "condition".

        Will go ready Randy's note... just another quick question: i know I can do the following with 2 events, just wondering if I can do it in one?

        when a trigger happens, if a condition is satisfied, then do something, else, do something else. Not sure what "NEVER" in the drop down menu does...

        Thanks again. In the middle of HS2->HS3 migration. WAF is at lowest for a while, trying to get system running again...

        Comment


        • #5
          The first “IF” is called the Trigger and the rest of the “And If” are called conditions. So your trigger will be the door opening and then the conditions under which you want the light to turn on are if it’s night time.

          IF door sensor changes and becomes Open
          AND IF the time is night time
          THEN turn the light on for X minutes

          You should check out the Event Clinic thread that rprade created, it goes into a lot of examples and detail that is extremely helpful to people who are new to creating events.

          Sorry....guess I was a bit late to getting this posted....you’re in good hands already...

          Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          HS3 3.0.0.548 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.71 with 996 Devices, 547 Events
          Plugin's:
          BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
          EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
          weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave 3.0.1.252

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by cjin View Post
            Got it. Thank you both! I was confused and didn't distinguish between "trigger" and "condition".

            Will go ready Randy's note... just another quick question: i know I can do the following with 2 events, just wondering if I can do it in one?

            when a trigger happens, if a condition is satisfied, then do something, else, do something else. Not sure what "NEVER" in the drop down menu does...

            Thanks again. In the middle of HS2->HS3 migration. WAF is at lowest for a while, trying to get system running again...
            NEVER is only a tool to disable an action when you are troubleshooting an event. If you have several actions, you can disable one or more by changing from THEN to NEVER. You will need two Events to accomplish different Actions . An Event has common Actions, there is no Conditional branching to different Actions.

            Randy Prade
            Aurora, CO
            Prades.net

            PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by The Profit View Post

              Sorry....guess I was a bit late to getting this posted....you’re in good hands already...

              Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              Thank you for the help. Appreciate it.

              Comment

              Working...
              X