• Show
Clear All

• pcgirl65
    replied
    Seems to be working ok now. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• richardfj
    replied
    Did you guys figure this one out? I think it's a function of event logic, which I'm happy to give some best-practice guidance on ... at least the best-practice I have developed for myself after using HS for about 12 years :-)

Leave a comment:

• pcgirl65
    replied
    Yes, it seems to be working ok yesterday and today and prior. Very strange. Is there something in the system that would cause a hiccup?

Leave a comment:

• rprade
    replied
    Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post
    It looks like the motion was triggered but then there wasn't a no motion detected action.

Click image for larger version

Name:	screencapture-192-168-1-15-8000-EventLog-2019-12-24-09_35_04.png
Views:	59
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	1349419
    Is the detector still showing Motion? If so, it has quit reporting or something else is wrong. Your original Event should have run as soon as the detector went to "No Event" and the Event above would do the same. Unfortunately if the sensor fails to go back to No Event, neither version of the Off Event would work. I still think the Event I posted above will give more consistent results, as long as the sensor is reporting reliably.

Leave a comment:

• rprade
    replied
    Here is how I would structure the Event. This will turn the lights off if motion has ceased for 2 minutes, the TV is Off and if either of the lights is anything other than Off. It should account for any possibility.

Name:	capture.png
Views:	57
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1349434

Leave a comment:

• pcgirl65
    replied
    It looks like the motion was triggered but then there wasn't a no motion detected action.

Name:	screencapture-192-168-1-15-8000-EventLog-2019-12-24-09_35_04.png
Views:	59
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	1349419

Leave a comment:

• rprade
    replied
    OK, that rules out the Trigger. It is behaving as I expect it to and will be a reliable and repeated trigger. Is there a possibility that one of the two lights was not On? The Event is structured such that both must be On. If either is less than On (Off or dimmed) the Event won’t run. We can change the structure of the Event to accommodate for that. Do you have the Easy Trigger plug-in-in?

As far as a strain on the system, IMO every 120 seconds is ideal. It is frequent enough to be useful, but not so frequent as to significantly impact the Z-Wave network.

Leave a comment:

• pcgirl65
    replied
    It looks like the wattage is updating a lot. Seems to update about every 2 minutes and it is always changing slightly. See in the logs.

Name:	screencapture-192-168-1-15-8000-EventLog-2019-12-24-08_39_59.png
Views:	85
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	1349408

I actually went in yesterday and changed some of the parameters so that it wouldn't update so much. Don't know if the constant updating puts a strain on the system.

Leave a comment:

• rprade
    replied
    I misunderstood. Then the first Event should have turned them Off. If both lights were on (not at some dim level) and if the TV was consuming less than 10 watts, the event should have run and turned them off. There are several things that could cause that event to not run. 1) if either light was not On or 2) the wattage device is no longer updating when the TV is Off. I suspect the latter. Most energy devices will continually update and would trigger that event, but yours may not change at all when the TV is off. Later this morning, when I am at my computer I will create a better event that can account for that as well.

You can identify if that is the problem by looking at the value and time stamp on the TV wattage device. If it stops being updated or if the value remains constant, it will not trigger the Event.

Leave a comment:

• pcgirl65
    replied
    Well that is the thing. None of them ran at 2:20am. The lights were on all night. They didn't turn off until my hubby came down at 2:20am and turned them off using Alexa. Nobody was watching TV that day so it was just lights on with motion and off when no motion.

Leave a comment:

• rprade
    replied
    Which of the last 3 events ran at 2:20AM? The first one turns the lights Off, the next two set the lights to On and the last one sets them to about 1/2.

Leave a comment:

• pcgirl65
    replied
    Here you go.....

Name:	screencapture-192-168-1-15-8000-Events-2019-12-23-14_18_11.png
Views:	97
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	1349231

Leave a comment:

• rprade
    replied
    Can you post screenshots of your Events?

Leave a comment:

• pcgirl65
    replied
    So this seemed to be working well until last night. For some reason the lights were on at 2:20 am. It looks like they didn't go off after there was motion detected at around 9:17pm. The TV was off all night and nobody was up after this time. Doesn't seem to be any indication of the motion being detected as off in the logs.

Leave a comment:

• rprade
    replied
    Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post
    Wow! I am having a hard time understanding using virtual devices instead of just using the actual triggers that you have set in events to set the virtual devices?
    I understand that it might be difficult to wrap your mind around the logic, but once you understand it, things become a lot easier. While you can certainly use the wattage of your TV as a Trigger or Condition, the Occupancy of a room becomes a little more problematic. Personally I find it easier to have a Status Virtual Device for our TVs and appliances and use it various Events as needed. The Occupancy Virtual Device lets you set up rules for what determines Occupancy. While a Motion sensor may be at No Motion for a period of time, the room may still be occupied. Using a Virtual Device gives you the logic in an Event such as your TV lighting to determine whether someone is in the room or not, where a Motion sensor has essentially 3 states
    :
    1. Motion detected
    2. Motion ended, but not long enough ago to deem the room vacant
    3. Motion ended long enough ago to determine the room is vacant
    That 2nd state is something that is difficult to account for in an Event, but much easier with a Virtual Device.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X