No announcement yet.

Run a script periodicaly as long as a devices value is set to a certain value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Run a script periodicaly as long as a devices value is set to a certain value

I would like to do the following:

When a device changes its value and becomes=1, then run a script once every minute as long as the device's value is a 1, but when the device's value changes and becomes = 0, then I need to stop running the script every minute. I have not found a way to stop the event from running once it starts.

Is this an immediate script in an event? And is it a script that runs quickly and completes/terminates, or does it continue for more than a minute?
    -Wade

Comment

There may be more to this than I'm reading from your description, but it sounds like you simply need to use the device as a condition in the event that calls the script.

IF the event will trigger every 1 minute
      AND IF device value = 1
      THEN run script

If you don't want it to evaluate every minute when unneeded, you could use use Easy Trigger plugin to enable/disable the event via additional events.

IF device has its value set and value <> 1
      THEN EasyTrigger Disable Event [event name]

IF device value changes and becomes 1
      THEN EasyTrigger Enable Event [event name]
      -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
        AND IF device value = 1
        THEN run script
        +1

If you don't want it to evaluate every minute when unneeded, you could use use Easy Trigger plugin to enable/disable the event via additional events.
        Aside from satisfying latent OCD tendencies, I suspect that disabling the event and re-enabling it is more effort than it's worth - and might even use more resources than letting HS simply not run it when the condition isn't satisfied.

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I will disagree with that. I suspect little overhead when enabling/disabling an event. I suppose one factor though would be how often you enabled and disbled, and how long the enabled time lasts.

But I approached this in a different way. I created a timer that expires at 1 minute. The event that fires at the one minute mark stops/resets the timer, then if the conditions are still true, does whatever needs to be done, and then starts the timer over again.

Comment

A different approach...Assuming it is a straight action script like do A,B,C and we're done.

This will run only if your device value is 1 and will not re-run for 1 minute. When your value goes back to 0 the event trigger will not be true anymore. It offers lots of timing flexibility with the has been for... and do not Re-run For...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1349571

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
              There may be more to this than I'm reading from your description, but it sounds like you simply need to use the device as a condition in the event that calls the script.

AND IF device value = 1
              THEN run script
              I vote for this one. Compact, clean and low resources.

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

As always, many ways to get the fur off a kitten. Great community here.
                -Wade

Comment

Thanks for all the responses, I am looking at all of them. The post from cc4005 looks good to me
                  I appreciate the help

Comment

Working...
                  X