Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Little Help creating a scene/event

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    A Little Help creating a scene/event

    Hello beloved ones!

    I come here humbly asking, again, for help. I am sorry for bringing "my" issue here, but I have been scratching my head a lot lately to figure out how to solve this and have my wife not blaming home automation for my lack of skills.

    Here is the scenario: I have two bathrooms where my kids take a shower. I installed a internal light switch and a water valve in each bathroom and there is a gas heater that feeds them both. My automation (don't laugh) goes like this: as one hits the light switch, shower area light goes on, heater goes on and water valve opens for the shower. When the bath is done, one turns the light switch off and everything turns off. It works. But... When, eventually, I decide to give my baby a bath and my wife decides to bath my 3 year old son at the same time, when I finish the baby's bath first and turns the light switch off so the shower is off, the heater turns off too and the water becomes cold in my other kid's shower and I get a lot of complaints from my wife and my cold soaking son.

    Is there a way I make a condition like if one scene/event is running, then the heater does not turn off until the other light switch turns off?

    What I have thought now as a "fix" is to wait for like 5 minutes and then turn the heater off. This way, there would be enough time to the other kid finishes his bath. But I don't learn and don't step up my "skills"... 😊. And it is a crappy solution.

    Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance for any help/time spent on my issue.


    Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower Automation Event Doubt.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	1426606

    #2
    As the heater is the only common thing between the two rooms you might be able to control it with another event.

    How about something like,

    If Kids Switch has been off for at least 2 minutes
    And if Social Switch has been off for at least 2 minutes
    Then turn gas heater off

    This way you can remove the gas heater off in all the events and only control the valves and lights.

    It would be another single event that triggers when both switches have gone into a off state.
    Haven't tested it but I have a laundry room event that sort of works the same way.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by George View Post
      As the heater is the only common thing between the two rooms you might be able to control it with another event.

      How about something like,

      If Kids Switch has been off for at least 2 minutes
      And if Social Switch has been off for at least 2 minutes
      Then turn gas heater off

      This way you can remove the gas heater off in all the events and only control the valves and lights.

      It would be another single event that triggers when both switches have gone into a off state.
      Haven't tested it but I have a laundry room event that sort of works the same way.
      Hi, George , I don't think you want to do "at least" literally because, once the conditions are satisfied, the Heater Off event will run every second thereafter.

      But, I think you are on the right track. Suppose you create (as you say) a single event to turn the heater off. But make the trigger look like this:

      IF Light A changes and becomes OFF
      AND IF Light B is OFF

      OR IF Light B changes and becomes OFF
      AND IF Light A is OFF

      THEN Turn off the heater

      Would that meet your needs?

      ​​​​​​​-Eric

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by George View Post
        As the heater is the only common thing between the two rooms you might be able to control it with another event.

        How about something like,

        If Kids Switch has been off for at least 2 minutes
        And if Social Switch has been off for at least 2 minutes
        Then turn gas heater off

        This way you can remove the gas heater off in all the events and only control the valves and lights.

        It would be another single event that triggers when both switches have gone into a off state.
        Haven't tested it but I have a laundry room event that sort of works the same way.
        Great approach. I will try that. I have another event that turns the heater on between 20hs and 21hs for the housekeeper take a warm bath. Will this new event keep the heater always off or will only turn it off once the two minutes have passed after being on?

        Anyway, thank you so much for your insight!

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by ericg View Post

          Hi, George , I don't think you want to do "at least" literally because, once the conditions are satisfied, the Heater Off event will run every second thereafter.

          But, I think you are on the right track. Suppose you create (as you say) a single event to turn the heater off. But make the trigger look like this:

          IF Light A changes and becomes OFF
          AND IF Light B is OFF

          OR IF Light B changes and becomes OFF
          AND IF Light A is OFF

          THEN Turn off the heater

          Would that meet your needs?

          -Eric
          Ops, I have just read your comment. In fact, that was my doubt... It seems reasonable this approach too. I mean, I really need to understand each variable and what in the field it will cause in the automation. I really thank you for this discussion. It is increasing my perspective about how to solve problems like this. To think in an different manner.
          Again, thank you for your contribution. Both ideas complement themselves.
          I am going to implement them right away.

          ​​​​​​​Again, I can't thank you guys enough.

          Comment


            #6
            Yup, sorry, ericg 's solution is better. I'm used to using device conditions with events.

            Like
            If Hallway Wall Sconce has been on for at least 5 minutes
            Then Turn Hallway Wall Sconce off.

            That will keep the event from firing every second.

            Comment


              #7
              After gnawing on the problem for shits and giggles, how about this for a little less logic?

              If Kids Switch has been off for at least 2 minutes
              And if Social Switch has been off for at least 2 minutes
              And if Gas Heater is On
              Then turn gas heater Off

              This way if the Gas Heater is off the event won't fire and as long as either switch is on the event also won't fire.

              Just shows there are multiple ways to skin this cat. LOL

              Comment


                #8
                I can't test it right now as the baby is asleep at the room that resides the bathroom... But I think it is something like this?

                Click image for larger version  Name:	Shower Automation Event Solution.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.8 KB ID:	1426645

                Sorry, I fixed my mistake "light switches become"

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by George View Post
                  After gnawing on the problem for shits and giggles, how about this for a little less logic?

                  If Kids Switch has been off for at least 2 minutes
                  And if Social Switch has been off for at least 2 minutes
                  And if Gas Heater is On
                  Then turn gas heater Off

                  This way if the Gas Heater is off the event won't fire and as long as either switch is on the event also won't fire.

                  Just shows there are multiple ways to skin this cat. LOL
                  Thank you again, George , Indeed, this is the point here for me: learn different approaches to the same problem as this will open up my mind and make me think a little more about these solutions.

                  At night, I will test.

                  Much appreciated your fast responses, guys. πŸ˜˜πŸ‘

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Sorry for not getting back, but to just let you guys know it is working flawlessly. I would not have made it without your help. Thanks again!!!!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X