Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Event "door sensor value changed to NORMAL but was ALERT for at least 10 seconds"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Event "door sensor value changed to NORMAL but was ALERT for at least 10 seconds"

Then I tried to put this in a Homeseer event. Result: my brain hurts.

SCENARIOS:
    1. Garage_door changes and becomes "ALERT" --> turn on garage light
    2. Garage_door changes and becomes "NORMAL" AND garage_door has been "ALERT" for at least 10 seconds
    Scenario 2: someone opened the door --> light ON but left the door open for (say) 20 seconds. Now the door closes and the light needs to be switched off.

What would be the best way to do this?

I would do it with two events and a virtual device.
    Event 1:
    If a recurring event happens every second
    And If the garage door is Alert
    And If the garage door has not changed for 10 seconds
    And If the virtual device is Off
    Then turn the virtual device On

Event 2:
    If the garage door changes and becomes Normal
    And If the virtual device is On
    Then turn the garage light Off
    Then turn the virtual device Off

Question: Why not just turn off the light when the door is closed, regardless of how long the door has been open?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

If I understand the problem correctly, here's another approach that uses two events, but doesn't require a virtual device:

Event 1:
      IF Garage_door changes and becomes ALERT
      THEN turn garage light ON

Event 2:
      IF garage light has been ON for exactly 10 seconds
      AND IF Garage_door is NORMAL

OR IF Garage_door changes and becomes NORMAL
      AND IF garage light has been ON for at least 10 seconds

THEN turn garage light OFF

Comment

I must be missing something. Both of these events can be setup just as you described. See attached. For some reason I can't add images inline.

Ken

"if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

kenm When the door closes, I don't think the condition that the door has been open for at least 10 seconds will be true.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
            kenm When the door closes, I don't think the condition that the door has been open for at least 10 seconds will be true.
            That's the part I was missing. Even worse, it could be a race that works sometimes but not other times.
            "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by ericg View Post
              If I understand the problem correctly, here's another approach that uses two events, but doesn't require a virtual device:
              Event 1:
              IF Garage_door changes and becomes ALERT
              THEN turn garage light ON

Event 2:
              IF garage light has been ON for exactly 10 seconds
              AND IF Garage_door is NORMAL
              OR IF Garage_door changes and becomes NORMAL
              AND IF garage light has been ON for at least 10 seconds

THEN turn garage light OFF

Uncle Michael Thanks for your suggestion. I was hoping to solve it without events running every second..

ericg Now there's an interesting thought. My focus was on the DOOR
              my idea:
              • DOOR changes to NORMAL AND
              • DOOR was open >10s
              Where - as you showed - I could also detect if the LIGHT was on for >10s
              • DOOR changes to NORMAL AND
              • LIGHT was ON >10s
              This could work. Will test it tonight and share results.

We're getting closer to 'hands-free' lights in the garage! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by DJF3 View Post
                Uncle Michael Thanks for your suggestion. I was hoping to solve it without events running every second.
                As long as there are appropriate conditions, the event will only run once and only if the door is open longer than 10 seconds, but I agree, if testing the state of the light works, that is the way to go.

I'm still puzzled, though, why you don't want to just turn the light off when the door closes.

Comment

I'm still puzzled, though, why you don't want to just turn the light off when the door closes.
                  Sometimes I'm in the garage longer than 10-30 seconds, then I want to close the door.

pick up something* from the garage -->
                  1. door open (light on) - leave door open
                  2. find something*
                  3. walk out and close door (light off)
                  Do something in the garage -->
                  1. door open (light on) and close door
                    now the door closes but the light can be switched off
                  2. inside the garage: do something
                  3. when finished, open door (light off), walk out and close door.

* = something is a nice craftbeer

Comment

Originally posted by DJF3 View Post
                    Sometimes I'm in the garage longer than 10-30 seconds, then I want to close the door.
                    I understand. If your protocol works for you that's all that really matters, but it does require some consistency in the way you use the garage.

Have you considered adding a motion sensor in the garage to help decide if someone inside needs the light on? (I actually do this with our garage - and our walk-in closet - using a standard motion sensing light switch. Not only does it work reliably, but it is also relatively inexpensive and works independent of HS.)

Comment

Have you considered adding a motion sensor in the garage to help decide if someone inside needs the light on? (I actually do this with our garage - and our walk-in closet - using a standard motion sensing light switch. Not only does it work reliably, but it is also relatively inexpensive and works independent of HS.)
                      Why fix a problem in an easy/logic way if you can solve it in a highly technical difficult way?

:-)

I'm currently 'in between' motion sensors but it is on my list to include in the event-logic!

Comment

Working...
                      X