Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Event runs, it should not be since the only trigger device is not changing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Event runs, it should not be since the only trigger device is not changing?

The attached event is triggering frequently and it should not be. The value is not changing. Yet, the event triggered a dozen times in the last 4 hours even though the device has not value changed - or set from any other event or manually. The 'last changed' day/time is the same.
    Attached Files

On the device configuration tab, is "Do not update device last change time if device value does not change:" checked?

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post
      On the device configuration tab, is "Do not update device last change time if device value does not change:" checked?
      Yes, it is checked.

Comment

I had a similar problem with a device from Jon00's bluetooth plugin. My workaround was to create a virtual device that shadowed the plugin device. That worked for me.
        I set the linked device on the plugin device tab to the virtual device I created as a shadow device.

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post
          I had a similar problem with a device from Jon00's bluetooth plugin. My workaround was to create a virtual device that shadowed the plugin device. That worked for me.
          I set the linked device on the plugin device tab to the virtual device I created as a shadow device.
          Sounds like a Bug

Comment

Originally posted by Ltek View Post

Sounds like a Bug
            Perhaps, but I don't have the source code, so I can't try to hunt and fix it. Instead, I came up with a working work-around.

Comment

Yes, it is checked.
              With that checked, if the Last Change time is updating, it is likely the plug-in is for an instant changing the value then returning it back. This could be so fast you might not see it. You might let the plug-in author know what you’re seeing.

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                With that checked, if the Last Change time is updating, it is likely the plug-in is for an instant changing the value then returning it back. This could be so fast you might not see it. You might let the plug-in author know what you’re seeing.
                The issue happened checked or not. I suspect its an HS bug since when I changed the event from a native HS trigger to an EasyTrigger trigger, there are now zero false events running. New event using EasyTrigger in attached screenshot
                Attached Files

Comment

I understand. The real test would be if the Last Change date is updating. If the date is changing, something is setting the device to a new value, if even fore a microsecond. Your Easy Trigger trigger are now limiting it one of two values 1 or 2. It is entirely possible the plug-in could be setting it to another value for a split second.

Is the Last Date updating regularly, even though Easy Trigger is not triggering?

The reason I ask is I had the problem with another plug-in years ago and it was fixed with a subsequent update. I was able to find it by writing out to the log any time the device's value changed. It would change to a value and back all within milliseconds but I would never see the device change, only the Last Date updated. Looking at the log I would see nearly simultaneous changes. That is why Joe's solution above cures the problem. The changes are too fast to affect the value of the shadow device.

Comment

I understand. The real test would be if the Last Change date is updating. If the date is changing, something is setting the device to a new value, if even fore a microsecond. Your Easy Trigger trigger are now limiting it one of two values 1 or 2. It is entirely possible the plug-in could be setting it to another value for a split second.

Is the Last Date updating regularly, even though Easy Trigger is not triggering?

The reason I ask is I had the problem with another plug-in years ago and it was fixed with a subsequent update. I was able to find it by writing out to the log any time the device's value changed. It would change to a value and back all within milliseconds but I would never see the device change, only the Last Date updated. Looking at the log I would see nearly simultaneous changes. That is why Joe's solution above cures the problem. The changes are too fast to affect the value of the shadow device.
                    The problem was the Event was triggering (every 5 to 10 minutes) and the 'last changed' day/time did not change (and it should not have - the value wasn't changing). The device value, and 'last changed' day/time, only changes twice a day - appropriately.

I doubt the PI would change the device value to something new, then back to the prior value - so fast that HS would not change the 'Last Date' ... if that is what is happening then that is a bug in HS for not capturing the change date while registering 2 changes.

Comment

The problem was the Event was triggering (every 5 to 10 minutes) and the 'last changed' day/time did not change (and it should not have - the value wasn't changing). The device value, and 'last changed' day/time, only changes twice a day - appropriately.

I doubt the PI would change the device value to something new, then back to the prior value - so fast that HS would not change the 'Last Date' ... if that is what is happening then that is a bug in HS for not capturing the change date while registering 2 changes.
                      You are correct. If the date is not changing the value is not either. That is why in both my prior posts I was trying to find out if the date was changing. You never wrote one way or the other in your prior posts.

Comment

You are correct. If the date is not changing the value is not either. That is why in both my prior posts I was trying to find out if the date was changing. You never wrote one way or the other in your prior posts.
                        You might have missed my first post; ended with.. " The 'last changed' day/time is the same." I'll try to be more clear next time.

Bug in HS3 for sure - one way or another.

Comment

I'll try to be more clear next time.
                          Nah, I just missed it. I'm a year into a new job as a Manager for a big box home improvement store,. By the end of a 11-12 hour long day, I'm a little punchy

Comment

i know I'm a bit late to the party here, but I'm in agreement that it's a bug. I've run into this before in various incarnations. One way in which I found it to hit is by Polling Cycle. What's the polling cycle for the device? I've found that some triggers will trigger on some device types, every time the device is polled, regardless on if the value has changed or updated, or not. I have an event that I wanted to use to inform me whenever my deadbolt was locked/unlocked. But no matter what I did, it would trigger every hour (polling cycle was set to 1h). If I changed the polling cycle for the device, the frequency of the event changed with it. I was using "Had a value that was just set or changed". When I changed it to "Had a value that just changed", the problem went away. the "was just set" portion seems to trigger on polling - my assumption is that polling sets the value, regardless of whether the value changed or not.....

Comment

Working...
                            X