Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Controlling Event execution : Disabling Events vs vDevices (kill switches)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlling Event execution : Disabling Events vs vDevices (kill switches)

Curious what people are using, in what situations, and why (what benefits / issues they see using each method)

I have a LOT of events using "run event" delays and disable/enable actions for 'event series' (needed to recheck status before executing - wish this was built-into HS!).

I see two main way of doing this:

1. Disabling events for a given period of time
    -- More Streamlined : no need for multiple HS devices just for kill switches, or complexity of keeping track of vDevices.
    -- Doesn't allow for a much control / flexibility or visibility.

2. Using a vDevice(s) in events as a condition, as a 'kill switch' for that event to run/not.
    -- much more much control, flexibility, visibility into what is happening at a given time (good for troubleshooting or leveraging across multiple events)

Hope people have thoughts / use cases to add!

I use both enable/disable of events and virtual devices as "modes" or conditions.

I have events that do something, then enable another event, and finally disable itself. Then the other event will do something when triggered, re-enable the other event, and finally disable itself. These are usually for specific tasks like monitoring soil moisture and starting/stopping irrigation.

I have several house and room mode devices that get turned on or off based on various conditions throughout the day or night. I then use these along with AND IF conditions in events to control event behavior. This makes the events relatively low maintenance. I prefer this type of "gating" over enable/disable of events.
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

I use Disable/Enable of Event as well and it even built into EasyTrigger :

Click image for larger version  Name:	Disable Event.png Views:	0 Size:	95.4 KB ID:	1489500
      So in case of complex events you can even sequence them by adding a "Wait Some Time" to add another or do something else...

Eman.
      TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post
        I use Disable/Enable of Event as well and it even built into EasyTrigger :
        I should have specified that I also use EasyTrigger Disable/Enable Event for this.
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post

I should have specified that I also use EasyTrigger Disable/Enable Event for this.
          True and I could not have guessed it because in HS2 and HS3 we used a script &hsDisableEvent: ... But I remember tying it out with HS4 and I couldn't get it working. And you guessed it...am not any good at scripting, so I don't know what I was doing wrong

Eman.
          TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Working...
          X