Group conditions vs Event Conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Group conditions vs Event Conditions

I’m a little confused as to the difference between group conditions and event conditions.

I first set up event with just the group conditions defined, and the events did not execute.
    When I added event conditions, they executed.

If I want my lights to shut off at 11:30 PM every night, do I set that only as the event condition?

What’s the purpose of the group condition?

If I want a light to turn on at a certain time on a certain day of the week, do I make the group condition the day of the week, and the event condition the time of the day?

Sorry for my ignorance…. I already consulted with docs.homeseer.com but I’m still confused….

Originally posted by ariholland View Post
    I’m a little confused as to the difference between group conditions and event conditions.

I first set up event with just the group conditions defined, and the events did not execute.
    When I added event conditions, they executed.

If I want my lights to shut off at 11:30 PM every night, do I set that only as the event condition?

What’s the purpose of the group condition?

If I want a light to turn on at a certain time on a certain day of the week, do I make the group condition the day of the week, and the event condition the time of the day?

Sorry for my ignorance…. I already consulted with docs.homeseer.com but I’m still confused….
    Group Conditions have their uses but they aren't necessary and, if you are starting out, are best ignored for now. They can be useful if you have events that need a common set of a large number of Conditions in which case they can be invoked in an event using a Condition such as AND IF All the Group Conditions are True. They don't do anything unless they are invoked in an event.

If you are starting out search the forum for the Event Clinic which is a great source of examples and explanations. You will soon get the hang of it.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...3-event-clinichttps://forums.homeseer.com/forum/homeseer-products-services/system-software-controllers/hs3-hs3pro-software/hs3-event-clinic/86299-event-management-table-of-contents

Steve

PS You are already in the Event Clinic😊

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post

Group Conditions have their uses but they aren't necessary and, if you are starting out, are best ignored for now. They can be useful if you have events that need a common set of a large number of Conditions in which case they can be invoked in an event using a Condition such as AND IF All the Group Conditions are True. They don't do anything unless they are invoked in an event.

If you are starting out search the forum for the Event Clinic which is a great source of examples and explanations. You will soon get the hang of it.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...3-event-clinic

Steve
      PS You are already in the event clinic😊

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

There is a post in this forum covering them.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I've been using HomeSeer for 20+ years and I've never found a need for Group Conditions. In fact, I find them confusing in that they are global to an event group and can easily be missed when setting up a new event in that group. I prefer to have the event trigger conditions right in front of me in the individual event definition itself. For those events that have the same or similar conditions, I duplicate the event and modify the copy as needed.
            "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
              I've been using HomeSeer for 20+ years and I've never found a need for Group Conditions. In fact, I find them confusing in that they are global to an event group and can easily be missed when setting up a new event in that group. I prefer to have the event trigger conditions right in front of me in the individual event definition itself. For those events that have the same or similar conditions, I duplicate the event and modify the copy as needed.
              I completely agree. It is important to note, that even though they are globally available within a Group, they are only run if specifically called from an Event within that Group.

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                I completely agree. It is important to note, that even though they are globally available within a Group, they are only run if specifically called from an Event within that Group.
                Even MORE CONFUSING.
                "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post

Even MORE CONFUSING.
                  Possibly, but required if you want to select which Events run Group Actions vs every Event in the group running them.

It still goes back to what I wrote when I described their function in the Event Clinic and to your point, they would only be useful in very limited circumstances. I never have found a need for them as it is less confusing and no more difficult to enumerate an Event's Actions within each Event.

Comment

Working...
                  X