Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weclome to the new HS3 Event Clinic forum!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very good and helpful indeed.
    I can't thank Randy enough for his patience and help already with my arduino trouble.

Comment

Good news indeed. Thanks for your help Randy, it's much appreciated
      Win 11 Pro | HS4 Pro | Z wave plug in with UZB1 | BLUSBUIRT 2.0.11.0 | RFXtrx433 | Blue Iris CCTV | VU+ 4k with motorised dish | Emby | Hi-Phone HS2 | ESP32 with WLED |

Comment

Super... will love to get past my events that "sorta" work !
        Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

@ Randy,

Suggestion here.

It might be helpful if you broke the threads up into smaller ones with concise names. The reason I'm bringing this up is that the new counters/timers posts are important (as the others are!) but if someone is looking for an answer to their counter/timer question they might get drowned in the preceding posts, and eventually the trailing posts.

None the less, thanks for doing this. I know I for one don't have the gumption to make this kind of thing happen and it's sorely needed. I often wonder how many HS3 users aren't fulfilling their HA fantasies because they haven't taken the time to fully explore the event creation engine with discipline.
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
            @ Randy,

Suggestion here.

It might be helpful if you broke the threads up into smaller ones with concise names. The reason I'm bringing this up is that the new counters/timers posts are important (as the others are!) but if someone is looking for an answer to their counter/timer question they might get drowned in the preceding posts, and eventually the trailing posts.

None the less, thanks for doing this. I know I for one don't have the gumption to make this kind of thing happen and it's sorely needed. I often wonder how many HS3 users aren't fulfilling their HA fantasies because they haven't taken the time to fully explore the event creation engine with discipline.
            That is a VERY good idea. I'll get to work on revising the structure.
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks for implementing SFs idea, this makes it much easier to quickly find the areas of interest while creating an event, now more useful as a reference lookup.

Comment

@ Randy,

I know it was my suggestion to break up the posts into individual threads but I'm second guessing this a little bit now. My fear is that this forum could become so crowded with threads that no one will be ale to make sense of them. So I have a new suggestion. Make a single intro post with an index of and links to all the other threads organized by category. They have such posts on a car forum I frequent listing all of the different how-to threads and they are organized by category; such as drive train, breaks, etc.

Thanks again for doing this!

Comment

@ Randy,

I know it was my suggestion to break up the posts into individual threads but I'm second guessing this a little bit now. My fear is that this forum could become so crowded with threads that no one will be ale to make sense of them. So I have a new suggestion. Make a single intro post with an index of and links to all the other threads organized by category. They have such posts on a car forum I frequent listing all of the different how-to threads and they are organized by category; such as drive train, breaks, etc.

Thanks again for doing this!
                  Thanks again for another good suggestion. I will create an outline post with links to the individual posts. This outline will serve as a table of contents for all of the threads and I will grow it as I add posts. I will make that post sticky and unstick all the rest. I think I will still leave every topic in a separate thread and leave it open for additional comments. I have reserved a spot for future videos in each thread as well. I'll attempt to get the table of contents post started very soon.

This is a work in progress, so I very much appreciate any suggestions as this project grows.

Just a reminder, this is a project I volunteered for and HomeSeer has been kind enough to provide the forum for this, I do and will appreciate any suggestions and or criticism the members may offer.

Comment

Nice! It's all looking good to my eyes. The official How-To forum here is simply a nightmare. It's pages of unorganized threads (many even locked!) and finding information there is like being a part of the Louis And Clark Expedition.

I'm thinking we need to revamp the How-To forum quite a bit. I'm more than willing to participate, but, my ability seems to fall short somewhere between pushing the power button on my PC and getting dinner. So I'm not sure how much I can contribute.

One thing is certain though; we need much better documentation for the lay person. I would be willing to actively participate in maintaining a wiki. I imagine many of the other regulars would as well. Finding your answers via a Google search through a forum sucks! HomeSeer appears to be Absolutely the most capable HA software out there and we as avid proponents need to make it available to the masses!

Comment

Nice! It's all looking good to my eyes. The official How-To forum here is simply a nightmare. It's pages of unorganized threads (many even locked!) and finding information there is like being a part of the Louis And Clark Expedition.

I'm thinking we need to revamp the How-To forum quite a bit. I'm more than willing to participate, but, my ability seems to fall short somewhere between pushing the power button on my PC and getting dinner. So I'm not sure how much I can contribute.

One thing is certain though; we need much better documentation for the lay person. I would be willing to actively participate in maintaining a wiki. I imagine many of the other regulars would as well. Finding your answers via a Google search through a forum sucks! HomeSeer appears to be Absolutely the most capable HA software out there and we as avid proponents need to make it available to the masses!
                      I think I like the way the Event Clinic forum is evolving. I intend to stay with it to the conclusion of the original objectives spelled out int the opening post and possibly beyond.

That said, I would not be opposed to helping with a Wiki either. If Mark wants to hunt down and install some Wiki software and add a tab to the top navigation bar, we could start working on it. There are several good choices that tightly integrate with vBulletin. My past experience with Wikis is that they frequently lack for meaningful contributions and organization. Another possibility would be to have one of us given moderation rights to the How-to forum so that we could clean it up and organize it. Why don't you send Mark a email and broach the subject?

Comment

Not sure if you are aware but there was a wiki some years ago that fell into disrepair (taken over by spammers?) and was removed, a shame because it is a nice idea. One of my frustrations is that there is information everywhere, you have the SDK and the help file (that IMHO could be merged, there is a bit that overlaps and it is annoying to have to navigate between), then you have the help desk that has a knowledge base (albeit with only a single article), then you have information in some bugzilla posts that could do with being in the help file and then you finally have the forum with bits of knowledge that should be in the help file. Then you have the fact that there is no HSTouch help for HS3 but there is for HS2 and that help is in a standalone help file rather than on the web. Then you have info in several webinars but it is not too clear what is for HS2 and what is for HS3.

Then you have the fact that individual plugins can also register there own documentation web pages with hs.RegisterHelpLink! You can literally have information anywhere (it is often that the information about a problem is out there - just a question of where) and it would just be great for some consolidation.

Bit off tangent though and you should be commended for your efforts in this forum!

Comment

The only thing I wanted to do with this forum was to thoroughly explain how the Event Management system works in HS3. While it is only part of the puzzle it was clear to me that it generated the lions share of questions and confusion as represented by posts in this community.

By no means do I think the efforts should end there. I have heard of the Wiki that was around before and of the problems that were had with it. While it defeats the theory of what a Wiki is all about, I think if one was started again, access should be limited to a handful of volunteers. Any member could ask for access, but the access would be granted only to verified contributing members of this community. That would minimize or eliminate spamming. Some of the Wiki tools that integrate well with vBulletin have very good moderation tools.

If Mark wants to try something, I am certainly willing to be one of the participants. I know there are others as well. The biggest problem I have had with Wikis on other forums I created/managed in the past was that it usually boiled down to one or two members who were persistent in contributing. If it could be made to work it would be an asset to owners of the software and by extension to HST.

Comment

Hey guys, I got forwarded here by a HS support rep.

I'm looking for a way to enable or disable events via the HSTouch App.

I did a quick test:

- Created a virtual device with just 2 states (on/off) (I want to have the status of the event displayed on screen, that's why I'm creating this virtual device).
                            - Created 3 separate events:

The first one: the event I want disabled or enabled
                            The second one: an event that executes/runs the first event when the virtual device is set to "on".
                            The third one cancels the first event when the virtual device is set to "off"

That test did not enable or disable the event. The event's status did not change in HS3.

This icon wasn't changing states:

What's the proper way to achieve this?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by dchramcow View Post
                              There are two strategies that people typically use. One adds a virtual device that you can turn on or off, and then use it's status to determine if an event runs. The other, which I think is what you are after, actually disables the event - although, surprisingly, that still does not prevent it from running if it is triggered by another event.

See if this thread addresses your question:
                              https://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=185727
                              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by dchramcow View Post
                                Hey guys, I got forwarded here by a HS support rep.

I did a quick test:

- Created a virtual device with just 2 states (on/off) (I want to have the status of the event displayed on screen, that's why I'm creating this virtual device).
                                - Created 3 separate events:

The first one: the event I want disabled or enabled
                                The second one: an event that executes/runs the first event when the virtual device is set to "on".
                                The third one cancels the first event when the virtual device is set to "off"

That test did not enable or disable the event. The event's status did not change in HS3.

This icon wasn't changing states:

What's the proper way to achieve this?

Thanks.
                                I got a little lost in your description, but the preferred method of using a virtual device to disable an event is to use the device as a condition in the event(s) you want it to disable. Create the virtual device "Event Enabled" then create the event.

IF The time is 8:00PM
                                AND IF The device Event Enabled has a value equal to On
                                THEN Action

This event will run at 8:00 every night, unless the Event Enabled device is Off.

Comment

Working...
                                X