Conditions - A Device's Value Is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conditions - A Device's Value Is...

The next group of standard conditions are based upon device values. Remember that that these are conditions and as such a specific trigger must be TRUE before the conditions are evaluated. For the purposes of these examples we are using a time based trigger of midnight. That means that this event will attempt to run once a day at midnight, then it it will evaluate every condition, all of which must also be true before the event will run.

As you can see there are five different choices relating to a device's value. We'll go into the first one with a little detail. It is a condition "This device has been/for at least...". This allows you pick a device and set a value that it would be set to and finally a time setting. The values you are able to pick are determined by the value settings the device supports. Below is a light control that supports dimming and the value drop down has been populated by the values this device supports. This condition is designed to be true if the device meets the value you determine for at least the time set. An example would be to turn a light "Off" if it has been "On" for at least 10m, 0s. Remembering that this is a condition, the trigger must also be met. If you look at the example below the bathroom light will be turned off, if it has been on for 10 minutes (or more) but only if that condition is met exactly at midnight (the trigger). If you turn the light on at 12:01 AM, it will stay on until the next trigger - 23 hours and 59 minutes later.

As was stated above the choices of value are determined by the values the device supports. Below we are using a dimmable light control as an example.

If you choose Off, On, or On Last Level you are done.

if you choose a Dim (value)% you will be given another drop down allowing you to choose a dim value.

The last four choices have to do with a device being set to an exact value, any value other than an exact value, a value greater than an exact value or a value less than an exact value. A dimmable light condition of "not equal to Off" would be true at any dim level (including On). A condition of "greater than Off" would give the same result. A condition of "less than Off" or " Greater than On" would never be true. Below are three examples showing how the value choices change based upon the values supported by a specific type of device. First is a dimmable light control.

Then a temperature reporting device.

Or a device that measures luminance. You will note that the choice is "greater than a value in the range...", this is a little misleading. A range is not allowed, you will be prompted for a specific value.

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Recurring trigger during condition

I am fairly new to HS so maybe this is an easy one but I am trying to set up an event that continues to fire (with 3 second delays between firing) for say 5 minutes. I can make my tablet "beep" with an event but I want it to continuously beep as long as a condition exists (entry delay or alarm etc). I have tried a few different things with little success.

Thanks,

Comment

As with most tasks, there are likely to be several ways to accomplish this with HS. Here's one idea.

Create a virtual device. I'll call it 'Beep'.
      Create an event with a recurring trigger, every 3 seconds, and a condition that 'Beep' is On.
      The event action will be to play a beep sound.

Now, when your condition becomes active, turn the 'Beep' device on. When it is no longer active, turn it off.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Perfect, works great. Thanks. Is there any concern about having a recurring event running 24/7 every 3 seconds? (assuming I ended up with numerous such types of events over time as I build my system)

Comment

Originally posted by jterfehr2000 View Post
          Is there any concern about having a recurring event running 24/7 every 3 seconds?
          Some people have raised that concern, but I've seen no one offer any evidence that it has any effect. As far as I can tell, if the device condition is not met, there is no detectable overhead from what I'll term a 'potential' event. My supposition is that the HS event engine is quite efficient in the way it handles event conditions. (I'm pretty sure that HS monitors the state of every device in your system all the time, regardless of whether it's part of an event or not.) It is primarily the event actions that create overhead, so if the event does not actually run, it does not appear to take much effort to monitor it.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Looking to change thermostat at 5 am if outside temp is less than X. Can figure out how to do it. I have to pick a specific value. Picking a range seems to only be allowed if you choose device has changed to less than x or has been x for exactly y. These don't work for my problem

Comment

Why not:
              IF the time is 5:00AM
              AND IF The temperature is less than X
              THEN set thermostat to X

Click image for larger version

Name:	4619A691-B225-4E51-8EFF-2E6A242F6E03.jpeg
Views:	509
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	1346628

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                Why not:
                IF the time is 5:00AM
                AND IF The temperature is less than X
                THEN set thermostat to X

Click image for larger version

Name:	4619A691-B225-4E51-8EFF-2E6A242F6E03.jpeg
Views:	509
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	1346628
                I don't see any way to choose "has a value that is less than 60 F"

Comment

Then I would need to see the Status Graphics tab for your outside temperature device. What type of device is it?

Comment

Originally posted by jrjmpls7 View Post

I don't see any way to choose "has a value that is less than 60 F"
                    The wording is incorrect in the drop down box. The one you need to select is "This device had it's value set and is less than..." Once you finish selecting and then collapsing the condition, the wording changes to "has a value that is less than". Just one of HS3's maddening UI "peculiarities"

Comment

What if I want to have the output of the rule be variable?

For example:

If the outside temperature is below 50

then increase the interior temperature by 5 degrees.

Is that possilble?

Or, even just dynamic dimming:

When lightning switches to ON

Dim Living Room Overheard 10%.

Not set it to 10%, but simply dim it by 10%. As in, subtract 10%. If my wife had it at 100, it should now be at 90. If I had it at 80, it should now be at 70. If it was off, leave it off.

Can HS3 do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Saladman View Post
                        Not set it to 10%, but simply dim it by 10%. As in, subtract 10%. If my wife had it at 100, it should now be at 90. If I had it at 80, it should now be at 70. If it was off, leave it off.

Can HS3 do that?
                        I'm thinking you could possibly achieve this via EasyTrigger's "Set Device to Variable" maybe.........

Comment

Use Easy Trigger’s “Set device to another device”. This allows you to add or subtract from the value. So you would set a thermostat to itself +5 or set a light to itself -10. Without Easy Trigger, an immediate script using CAPI control would be required.

This is one of many ways Easy Trigger makes Event configuration much easier.

Comment

Working...
                          X