Conditions - The Moon Phase Is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conditions - The Moon Phase Is

This condition is built upon the Phases of the moon. You have eight choices:

These conditions are fairly straight forward, but it is important to remember that that each one is true for just short of 4 days. The Condition of a Full Moon will not be true only at the point where the moon is full, but will be true for the entire phase - almost two days before and almost two days after the point where it is actually full. The best explanation is that the conditions transition immediately from one phase to the next, so one of the phases is ALWAYS true. Since the full lunar cycle is approximately 29.5 days, each phase will last 29.5/8 days or approximately 3.69 days.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

This is neat. But someone provide a use for this? (I'm newer at HA, so maybe just not thinking of a use).

As a side, is there a condition to look at the outside temperature, beside using a z-wave temp sensor? Such as local weather service?

Comment

Originally posted by CinBRandon View Post
      . . .is there a condition to look at the outside temperature, beside using a z-wave temp sensor? Such as local weather service?
      Yes, but you'll need a plug-in. I am very happy with the WeatherXML plug in.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

This is neat. But someone provide a use for this? (I'm newer at HA, so maybe just not thinking of a use).

As a side, is there a condition to look at the outside temperature, beside using a z-wave temp sensor? Such as local weather service?
        There is really no HA use for a moon phase that I can think of. We do have a virtual device that displays an icon of the moon phase and the text. The virtual device can be used in HSTouch or as the text for announcements.

Like Uncle Michael said, temperatures, other conditions and forecasts can be retrieved from weather services through plug-ins. I also use Jeff's very powerful WeatherXML. We also have a personal weather station that posts to Weatherbug giving us measurements specific to our house.

Comment

A little exploring and I found how to create an IFTTT applet that looks at changes in temp from Weather Underground and can then control a HomeSeer device.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
            We also have a personal weather station that posts to Weatherbug giving us measurements specific to our house.
            Is that a link to your station? That's pretty cool. I like the historical data. Never really explored WeatherUnderground. Looks like a bunch of PWS's. This opens up all kinds of curiosity.

What station do you have?

Is it linked directly to Homeseer, or does WeatherXML look at your Weatherunderground page?
            Last edited by CinBRandon; October 14, 2017, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Is that a link to your station? That's pretty cool. I like the historical data. Never really explored WeatherUnderground. Looks like a bunch of PWS's. This opens up all kinds of curiosity.

What station do you have?

Is it linked directly to Homeseer, or does WeatherXML look at your Weatherunderground page?
              It is an Ambient WS-1001. The current model is WS-1002. It posts to Wunderground, then WeatherXML gets a feed from Wunderground and populates HS devices with the values. Wunderground provides feeds for PWS, military bases, airports, etc.

Comment

When the sun sets and it's a full moon I have HS play a sound clip of a wolf howling and I get informed that it's a full moon and the sun has just set. Just a reminder to batten down the hatches in case the creatures of the night are on the prowl.
                Originally posted by rprade
                There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Personally have had a display of moon phases in Homeseer (1-2-3). I have though not used the phases to drive triggers for events.

That said in "work" endeavors relating to entities of change management (private and public sector) have seen a moon phase being a no go go deciding factor. Night moonlight for example. I have seen (weird as it sounds) folks doing yard work during a moonlit night.

Personally here in to photography and over the years always have taken pictures of the moon.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

There is also a scripting call of hs.moon, that will return populate variables for New Moon, Full Moon, Moon Cycle as an integer and the name of the current moon.

hs.moon

It works fairly well, but unfortunately it does not return the correct time and date of the next full moon. The date is usually correct, but the time is incorrect. The function is probably not using the correct geographical location from the HomeSeer configuration. The next Full Moon in Denver is November 3, 11:22PM. The hs.moon function returns:

Full moon on 11/3/2017 8:16:03 AM

This function may have worked in HS2, but has not worked in HS3 since I started in 2014.

The Event conditions cover about 3 days for each phase and are generally correct, but appear to suffer from the same time inconsistency.

The only reason I know this is because (for fun) we send an email with this text the day before a full moon:

Warning: tomorrow is a full moon (@05:27MT); please take the necessary precautions

The hs.moon function does not return the correct time, so we had to create a manual kludge to have the script know the correct date and time of the full moon.

Comment

I never knew that function to exist. Here used to do a screen scrape from a moon site which I think called the moon calculations via PHP.

Currently just utilize WeatherXML which provides the following status. I am guessing that it is correct.
                      Looking it is configured to utilize NOAA and WeatherUnderground (API). Plus my weather station stuff.

Moon Cycle: 27
                      Moon Phase: Waning Crescent
                      Moon Illumination: 11%.
                      New Moon Date: 10/19/2017
                      Full Moon Date: 11/03/2017

and an image of the moon look.

Well too you can just go here ==> hxxp://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/MoonPhase.php

and do this today: hxxp://api.usno.navy.mil/<web_service>?<parameters> to get your stuff.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                      X