Randomize When Events Run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Randomize When Events Run?

I seem to remember something about being able to randomize when events run. Security Offset? I don't know how this works. Could someone either give me or point me to a crash course on it?

Having company this evening and I want the house to spout random nonsense at random intervals throughout the night.

I'm using Jeff's random plugin. So far I've got it ready to say "I'm too funky for my own damn booty". Any other ideas? Maybe some Hemingway quotes about the virtues of [strike]copious alcohol consumption[/strike]... Ummmm, I mean responsible parenting.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Originally posted by S-F View Post
    I seem to remember something about being able to randomize when events run. Security Offset? I don't know how this works. Could someone either give me or point me to a crash course on it?

Having company this evening and I want the house to spout random nonsense at random intervals throughout the night.

I'm using Jeff's random plugin. So far I've got it ready to say "I'm too funky for my own damn booty". Any other ideas? Maybe some Hemingway quotes about the virtues of [strike]copious alcohol consumption[/strike]... Ummmm, I mean responsible parenting.
    It is enabled in setup as wekl as in each event you want to be affected, but as I understand it only applies to time based triggers. The description below is a little ambiguous, but I assume the "random number of minutes would be between 1 and the setting in setup.
    Attached Files
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I see.

Well, maybe I don't see.

Let me see if I have this all straight. So I could create a recurring event that will run, say, every 20 minutes and have a security offset of 5 minutes. Then the event will run every 15 - 25 minutes? Or no?

Comment

So I could create a recurring event that will run, say, every 20 minutes and have a security offset of 5 minutes. Then the event will run every 15 - 25 minutes? Or no?

Well that's not working. I created an event which runs every 6 minutes, set the security offset to 3 minutes, selected to use the security setting, or whatever it's called, in the event and it still runs every 6 minutes. So is this feature broken or am I using it improperly?

Comment

I see.

Well, maybe I don't see.

Let me see if I have this all straight. So I could create a recurring event that will run, say, every 20 minutes and have a security offset of 5 minutes. Then the event will run every 15 - 25 minutes? Or no?
          I don't think so, the way it reads is that it only affects time triggers such as The time is 7:30 PM.

Comment

Yes I think you're right. Too bad really. This is a sorely needed feature.

Comment

Yes I think you're right. Too bad really. This is a sorely needed feature.
              It can be added to the list of enhancements we would like to see.

Comment

Working...
              X