Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help limiting how many times an event occurs

So here's my situation.

I have a friend who is nuts. He's really wound up. For example, he just spent three weeks in a local psychiatric facility because he called SWAT on himself and then held himself hostage once they arrived.

He's a great guy with a huge heart and he's full of understanding. He has a way of making people feel understood. So I want to continue to be in contact with him. I just can't handle his energy too frequently. He calls me multiple times a day.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to have the house only announce that he's calling no more than three times a in a seven day period and not more than once in any three days. And I have no clue how to accomplish this, but I assume it can be done with counters.

Does anyone have any ideas?

On a completely unrelated note, I got my dog a brontosaurus femur.
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Originally posted by S-F View Post
    So here's my situation.

I have a friend who is nuts. He's really wound up. For example, he just spent three weeks in a local psychiatric facility because he called SWAT on himself and then held himself hostage once they arrived.

He's a great guy with a huge heart and he's full of understanding. He has a way of making people feel understood. So I want to continue to be in contact with him. I just can't handle his energy too frequently. He calls me multiple times a day.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to have the house only announce that he's calling no more than three times a in a seven day period and not more than once in any three days. And I have no clue how to accomplish this, but I assume it can be done with counters.

Does anyone have any ideas?

On a completely unrelated note, I got my dog a brontosaurus femur.
    You would need one or two timers. A timer that would resume whenever he called. A condition on the announcement that would only announce if the timer was less than 1 second. Use an event to reset and stop the timer at three days.

The seven day timer would likely be unnecessary because the first rule would prevent him from calling more than three times in a nine day period. If you want him to be able to call a fourth time after seven days, then use a second timer. Resume it when he calls. When it reaches 7 days reset and stop both timers.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Brilliant! And simple! I got myself overwhelmed by imagining all manner of timers and counters.

Thanks for the ideas!

Comment

personally i would hit your friend over the head with the brontosaurus femur. this would accomplish several things. one he would stop calling because he will be unconscious, two, you would be happy because the phone stopped ringing and three, you avoid jail time because the dog eventually eats the evidence. win-win.

Comment

Originally posted by redthebartender View Post
          personally i would hit your friend over the head with the brontosaurus femur. this would accomplish several things. one he would stop calling because he will be unconscious, two, you would be happy because the phone stopped ringing and three, you avoid jail time because the dog eventually eats the evidence. win-win.

I like the way you think friend!

There is a catch though. This guy is pretty big. I don't think my dog can "eat the evidence". He has a big appetite but I don't know about 230 Lbs.

See attached:
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X