No announcement yet.

Logic of constructing motion controlled events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been using this setup for awhile. Something that I noticed is at the stairway when we're walking around alot or if we re-enter the room at a certain time once the event is trigger, the event doesn't trigger again so there will be moments of darkness until the event gets triggered again.

Did I messed up somewhere or is this how it is? Any way to have the lights stay on while there's still motion or have it retrigger regardless of the delay?

Comment

Originally posted by dannieboiz View Post
      I've been using this setup for awhile. Something that I noticed is at the stairway when we're walking around alot or if we re-enter the room at a certain time once the event is trigger, the event doesn't trigger again so there will be moments of darkness until the event gets triggered again.

Did I messed up somewhere or is this how it is? Any way to have the lights stay on while there's still motion or have it retrigger regardless of the delay?
      Can you post screenshot(s) of your Event(s)?
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
        Can you post screenshot(s) of your Event(s)?
        below is everything that's related to this one event.

Comment

Originally posted by dannieboiz View Post
          below is everything that's related to this one event.
          The primary problem I see is that you are using a delayed device action to turn the light off after 1 minute in the On Event. You also have that in the Off Event. I do not know what motion sensor you are using, but many of them will not revert to No Motion until all motion has stopped. Most Z-Wave motion sensors have a motion timeout of at least one minute. This could mean that the light will turn off after a minute because the sensor has not changed status to No Motion. Remove the delayed device action from the On Event and your problem should be solved. You will also need to add a Remove Delayed Device action for the lights to the On Event. This will cancel any pending Off actions generated by the Off Event. You really don't need that action in the Off Event. The lights will still turn off when there is No Motion for a minute. If motion is detected before the minute is up, the Remove Delayed Device Action in the On Event will delete the Off Action. The reason you don't need it in the Off Event is that an Off Event will naturally follow an On Event which has deleted the Delayed Action.

The flow is:

Motion is detected
          Any Delayed Device Actions from previous Off Events are deleted
          Light is turned On

Motion is stopped
          Light is scheduled to turn Off after a minute
          Last edited by randy; March 6, 2018, 04:07 PM.

Comment

You will also need to add a Remove Delayed Device action for the lights to the On Event. This will cancel any pending Off actions generated by the Off Event.

Do I create another even or do I add it o the on event?

Code:
            IF	Sensors Stairway Stairway Motion Sensor changes and becomes On-Open-Motion	Submit  Submit  Make changes to this trigger or condition.  Delete this trigger.  Submit
                AND IF	Events and scenes Event Triggers Exercise Stairway Motion Control has a value equal to Activate	Submit  Submit  Make changes to this trigger or condition.  Delete this trigger.  Add a trigger or condition.
            Then	
            Set Device	Lightings Stairway Stairway Lights Mains to Dim 40%
            Submit  Submit  Make changes to this event action.  Delete this action.  Submit
            Then	Remove Delayed Execution of Event Stairway Motion Lighting Excercise Lights ON by Motion	Submit
            as I'm writing this, I went to to the stairway to set the lights off, 5 minutes later it's still on. All I did at this point was removed the delay action as noted and add the remove delay action as above.

NVM lights turn off, issue was with my off action, had it set to "on" but my light actually is set to dim @ 40% I'm an idiot. FIxed that an it turns off now but not sure if it will continue to stay on.

btw: I'm using an Enerwave zwnbpc on the ceiling.

Comment

Randy - loving the event clinic. New to HomeSeer about a month ago and was looking for more info. Filed a support ticket and they referred me to the clinic. Huge thanks for providing all the info.

I have constructed motion events a little differently and I am interested in pros/cons of this approach vs using Delayed Device Action to turn off the lights after a period of time. Here's what my off event looks like:

IF Motion Detector has been No Motion for at least 15 minutes
              AND IF Light has a value equal to ON
              THEN Set Light to OFF

Would appreciate your feedback on this approach.

Comment

Originally posted by JoefromBoston View Post
                Randy - loving the event clinic. New to HomeSeer about a month ago and was looking for more info. Filed a support ticket and they referred me to the clinic. Huge thanks for providing all the info.

I have constructed motion events a little differently and I am interested in pros/cons of this approach vs using Delayed Device Action to turn off the lights after a period of time. Here's what my off event looks like:

IF Motion Detector has been No Motion for at least 15 minutes
                AND IF Light has a value equal to ON
                THEN Set Light to OFF

Would appreciate your feedback on this approach.
                I sirt If covered most of the considerations in the first post of this thread. That is actually the way I do them as well. As in all things HomeSeer there are usually several ways to accomplish the same thing. The Delayed Device Action is really the only way to do it with a single Event. Your method requires an On and an Off Event. The choices would also need to take into consideration the motion sensors characteristics. Using a Delayed Device Action with a motion sensor with a long time out can be a problem because the sensor could stay at motion long enough to allow a delayed Off action to complete before the sensor goes to no motion. For that kind of sensor a separate On and Off Event is preferable. My sensors are more or less binary - as soon as motion stops they go to no motion. They would work very well with a single Event with a delayed Off action. I find two events preferable because I employ a bunch of logic to modify the behavior. With HomeSeer scene capable switches and dimmers we can press and hold the top paddle to have the lights come on and stay on (no motion timeout), we press and hold the bottom to have them stay off (defeating motion control). We also might want to delay the motion Off Event in the bathrooms when the door is closed or we might want to disable motion time out when we are watching TV in the basement. We also might not want lights to come on with motion when we are watching TV. Having two separate events gives you much more flexibility.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  It is one f the many inconsistencies in the event engine. When you choose “Cancel Delayed device Action” it becomes “Remove Delayed device Action” when the Action is completed.

The most common method of motion controlled lighting is a single event. Where “Motion” is the motion detector and “ light” is the light, the event is as follows:

IF motion changes and becomes motion
                  Then Set device light to On
                  Then Remove Delayed device Action for light
                  Then Set device light to Off after a delay of 5 minutes

This will turn the light on when motion is detected and set it to turn off after a delay of 5 minutes. The delay is configured under advanced device options. If you see a red square with an airplane in it under the control a device Action, click on it for advanced options. If the event is triggered again before the 5 minutes is up, the previous Delayed device Action is removed and a new one is created for 5 minutes later. This process will continue as long as there is motion, regardless of how long. As soon as motion ends the light will be turned off 5 minutes later.

Removing a Delayed device Action will not error if there is not one.
                  Did this change in HS4? I don't see a Remove Delayed Device Action under Advanced Settings.

Comment

Originally posted by oddjob View Post

Did this change in HS4? I don't see a Remove Delayed Device Action under Advanced Settings.
                    Nevermind, I found it. The UI just changed a little.

Comment

randy , are the screenshots gone in the first posts ?
                      is there another website we can view them ?
                      thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenttor View Post
                        thanks
                        My little hobby website does not have a certificate. Chrome introduced a security feature that disallows viewing insecure content within a secure website. The setting is easily changed in Chrome. Safari and most other browsers do not have this feature.

I still want to put a free certificate on my website, but I haven’t found the time. I’ll try to get it done soon.

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                          My little hobby website does not have a certificate. Chrome introduced a security feature that disallows viewing insecure content within a secure website. The setting is easily changed in Chrome. Safari and most other browsers do not have this feature.

I still want to put a free certificate on my website, but I haven’t found the time. I’ll try to get it done soon.
                          have you looked at cloudfare ? i thought it was free to use their certificate.
                          Thanks for the help/time/reply

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenttor View Post
                            thanks
                            My website is now secure. The images in the how to posts should now resolve without issue.

Comment

Working...
                            X