Logic of constructing motion controlled events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logic of constructing motion controlled events

This post is created with the hope of explaining different approaches to motion control as well as differences in motion control devices.

The first thing to consider is how your motion detector works. Motion detectors use Passive Infrared (IR) technology, usually referred to as PIR. They detect motion by recognizing changes in the infrared energy radiated within their field of view (FOV). IR energy of a human or a pet is going to be different than that of surrounding items, so a motion event will be triggered if an animal or human moves within the FOV of the sensor. For the sensor to report motion, there has to be a change in the IR within the FOV of the sensor. A human entering the FOV will trigger motion detection, but if that human becomes stationary within the FOV, the sensor will no longer detect a change in IR and will no longer report motion detection even though the area is still occupied. The sensitivity adjustment of the sensor determines the amount of change in IR energy required to trigger motion detection. This will usually affect how close to the device a human or pet has to be in order to trigger motion. This setting can be via a physical control on the device or with a parameter change within the device in HomeSeer.

All sensors use the same method of detection and will report motion as soon as a human or pet creates sufficient change in the IR "signature" to trigger it. The way they change to "no motion" varies substantially among devices. Most hardwired devices tied into a security panel will report motion as soon as they are triggered and no motion as soon as there are no longer changes detected within their FOV. Many wireless devices have an adjustment for motion timeout. This setting determines how long after there is no longer a change detected by the sensor that it reports no motion. If this setting is 60 seconds and you walk through the FOV of the sensor it will report motion, the 60 seconds later it will report no motion. If you move within the FOV of the sensor it will report motion and you stay within its range and continue to move it will not report no motion until 60 seconds after all motion within range of the sensor has ceased. If you walk through the FOV of the sensor, then 58 seconds later walk through again, the no motion report will be 60 seconds after the second time you pass through. In other words any motion that occurs within the timeout window set for the device will start the timeout clock over.

The way your motion detector behaves needs to be understood and taken into account as you design your motion events. If you're not sure how they work, open up a browser and monitor the device in the HS3 Device Manager and see how it behaves. Create motion then leave the area and see how long it takes to go to no motion. That will tell you the delay. After that you can decide which of the different approaches below are best for your use. To begin with, below is a basic ON by motion event.

Event 1

This event will turn the light on as soon as motion is detected. Using the condition AND IF First Floor Kitchen Kitchen Overhead Light has a value equal to off is just a practice to keep an event from triggering if the light (or other device) is already on.

If you are using a Z-Wave or other motion detector that has a programmable time out you can set this delay to determine how long the lights stay on after all motion has ceased. Below is an event that will turn the light back off when there is no motion reported. With this event you set the timeout on the motion detector to determine how long after motion ceases before the device sends a no motion report. If you set the timeout to 5 minutes, the lights will go out as soon as you leave the room. If you are continually moving in the room the light will stay on. If you are in the room but are not moving enough to trigger the PIR sensor, the lights will go out at the end of the motion timeout you have programmed.

Event 2

The above event will not work with wired PIRs or devices that do not allow you to set an motion off delay.

If you don't want to or cannot set the delay for the lights to turn off in the device itself, another way to have the lights go off after a set period of time is to add a delayed action to turn the lights off in the "On by Motion" event. Below adds a simple delayed action to turn the lights off 5 minutes after they are turned on by trigger.

Event 3

The problem with the above event is that even if you continue to trigger motion by moving within the range of the sensor, the lights will still turn off 5 minutes after the first motion was detected. They will turn back on if you move around, but only after they first turn off.

Below is an event that will start the 5 minute timer over each time motion is detected. You will note that the condition of the light being off had to be removed because it would keep this event from working as planned. With that condition the event would not re-trigger until the light was off.

Event 4

The above event will work perfectly with wired motion detectors or if you are able to set the timeout on your motion detector to 0. Most Z-Wave devices will set as low as 1 second, but they still are often unable to send a motion detected command for up to a minute. This approach can present two different problems
    1. If you have a long timeout on your motion detector, it becomes problematic. Let's say you have the timeout set for 2 minutes and the off delay at 5 minutes, you must trigger motion again AFTER 2 minutes and BEFORE 5 minutes or the lights will go off with you in the room. If your motion doesn't fall within those narrow constraints the lights may go out while you are in the room.
    2. This event is also problematic if you are continually moving in the room and you have any timeout at all on the motion sensor. It may never go to no motion, which means it will never re-trigger the event, resetting the delayed off timer. The end result is that the lights will go off on you while you are moving around in the room.

One solution is to move the OFF control to a second event that will trigger whenever the motion detector sends a no motion command.

Event 5

The above simple OFF event will work just fine, except it provides no means of resetting the delayed off action if it is triggered again. Just like the ON event above in Event 4 we can add a an action to cancel the delayed device action each time the event runs, then create a fresh delayed device action for 5 minutes later. You would couple it with a simple ON event triggered by motion. The ON event also removes any Delayed Device actions in case you manually turn the light off and reenter the room before a delayed OFF action has triggered. The two events below are practically universal. They will work regardless of the type of motion detector, with or without delayed off setting. Each event will re-trigger with a change in value of the motion detector. Fresh motion in the room will remove the delayed Off action. Re-triggering the "OFF by Motion" sets a fresh delayed device action to turn the light off.

Event 6a & b

Any of the ON events can be set to only trigger at night by adding a condition "IF The Time is Nighttime". There is no need to add that condition to the OFF events. The reason you wouldn't want to add the condition to the OFF event is that in all likelihood you want the lights to go out as soon as the room is vacant regardless of the time of day. Additionally it is possible that the light may be triggered on at nighttime and the off trigger could come at daytime, if you triggered motion early in the morning.

Event 1
    [b]

The above descriptions have presented three different approaches to automatically control lights by motion. The goal is to get you to think about the best approach based upon the type of motion detector you use and what your goals are for the type of motion that will take place in the zone.

The sad thing is there is nothing you can do to have the lights stay on if the room is occupied, but there is not enough motion to keep resetting the delay timer. As a means of remedying that problem I put together a post using Events 6a & 6b along with some other events to illustrate a motion controlled lighting system that can be defeated for times when you want the lights to stay on or not be triggered on by motion. That thread is here.
    Last edited by randy; May 16, 2015, 02:04 AM.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

remove delayed device action?

I'm hoping for a bit more clarity here... as a newbie.

Can you go into more detail on what "remove delayed device action" does?

My family is not big on lights coming on automatically, so I allow manual turning of light scenes on via wall mounted tablets. However, I do want lights to go off if no motion is detected in a room (turn off the scene).

So.... I was just looking for motion, and if no motion, turning off the lights. What does this added line do? Still confused?

thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
      I'm hoping for a bit more clarity here... as a newbie.

Can you go into more detail on what "remove delayed device action" does?

My family is not big on lights coming on automatically, so I allow manual turning of light scenes on via wall mounted tablets. However, I do want lights to go off if no motion is detected in a room (turn off the scene).

So.... I was just looking for motion, and if no motion, turning off the lights. What does this added line do? Still confused?

thanks.
      If you set "Master Bedroom Ceiling Light" to turn off after 15 minutes, HS will create a one shot event to turn the light off at a time 15 minutes in the future. This event is stored in "Delayed Actions" and will trigger at the time set 15 minutes in the future. If you want to cancel that event and prevent the light from turning off, you use an action "Remove Delayed Device Action for Master Bedroom Ceiling Light". This action will remove all delayed device actions pertaining to that one specific device, if there are any queued in the Delayed Actions" group.

The reason most of us use it is to restart an OFF timer for a light. If motion turns the light on and a delayed device action will turn it off after 15 minutes, repeated motion in that room will delete the old delayed device action and create a new one 15 minutes later. In effect preventing the light from turning off until there has been no motion for at least 15 minutes.
      Last edited by randy; December 28, 2016, 06:22 PM.

Comment

My family is not big on lights coming on automatically, so I allow manual turning of light scenes on via wall mounted tablets. However, I do want lights to go off if no motion is detected in a room (turn off the scene). So.... I was just looking for motion, and if no motion, turning off the lights.
        I have the same situation in several rooms in my house.

I've tried a number of strategies for turning lights off when they are turned on manually. The one I have adopted as my standard can get a bit complex, but is pretty reliable.

For each room I have two virtual devices. One represents 'motion' and the other represents 'occupancy'. Every 30 seconds I query all my motion detectors. If one is on, the corresponding 'motion' device is incremented and the motion detector is set to off. I also define the value of the 'motion' device to define 'occupied'. That is, just waking through does not mean the room is occupied. When the 'motion' value reaches the threshold for occupancy, I turn the 'occupancy' device on for that room. If the motion detector has been off for more than one minute, I decrement the 'motion' device.

If the light is turned on manually, I turn the 'occupancy' device on for that room and set the 'motion' device to the minimum for 'occupancy'. Otherwise, I let the 'motion' device increase or decrease in response to motion detection. [I've attached a graphic of the 'motion' device values for the rooms I monitor.]

If the 'motion' device reaches zero and the 'occupancy' device is on, I turn it off. If the lights are on, I issue an audible warning and then, after a short time, the lights go off using a delayed event action. If any motion is detected in the warning period, the delayed action is deleted and lights remain on.
        Attached Files
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

thanks guys... i was hoping that this would be simpler. :-) (one of the only things i liked about my old Vera system).

so I've created "lights off" event for a room with three lights.

If no motion for 15 min
          And if - light One has a value not equal to OFF
          Or if - light two has a value not equal to OFF
          Or if - light three has a value not equal to OFF

then Set Devices
          Light One to off
          Light Two to off
          Light Three to off

My motion sensor will reset status in 10 seconds... meaning, if i go into room and then leave, it will switch from motion to no motion in about 10 seconds.

This seems to work if i only turn light one ON. clearly... my logic is messed up with lights two and three... which will turn everything off if one of them is turned on manually.

Do i need three separate events for each light?

Or, can i just kill the And If and just have run the event if there is no motion, even if the lights are already off? Do i really care if it fires off the zwave command to turn off the lights if they are already off?

Comment

I'd recommend that you change the logic to include the no motion trigger for each Or if,

If no motion for 15 min

Or if no motion for 15 min
            And if - light two has a value not equal to OFF

Or if no motion for 15 min
            And if - light three has a value not equal to OFF

As you've sketched it, your Of if's aren't really triggers, and you probably can't set up an event with those conditions as triggers (unless there's a bug in HS that lets you do so).
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post

I've tried a number of strategies for turning lights off when they are turned on manually. The one I have adopted as my standard can get a bit complex, but is pretty reliable.

For each room I have two virtual devices. One represents 'motion' and the other represents 'occupancy'. Every 30 seconds I query all my motion detectors. If one is on, the corresponding 'motion' device is incremented and the motion detector is set to off. I also define the value of the 'motion' device to define 'occupied'. That is, just waking through does not mean the room is occupied. When the 'motion' value reaches the threshold for occupancy, I turn the 'occupancy' device on for that room. If the motion detector has been off for more than one minute, I decrement the 'motion' device.

If the light is turned on manually, I turn the 'occupancy' device on for that room and set the 'motion' device to the minimum for 'occupancy'. Otherwise, I let the 'motion' device increase or decrease in response to motion detection. [I've attached a graphic of the 'motion' device values for the rooms I monitor.]

If the 'motion' device reaches zero and the 'occupancy' device is on, I turn it off. If the lights are on, I issue an audible warning and then, after a short time, the lights go off using a delayed event action. If any motion is detected in the warning period, the delayed action is deleted and lights remain on.

Mike are you forcing the motion off by changing the value of the motion device? I am intrigued by your logic here.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                Mike are you forcing the motion off by changing the value of the motion device? I am intrigued by your logic here.
                I'm not sure I understand your question, so if this doesn't answer it, please ask again.

I use wireless X10 motion sensors with the RFXCOM plug-in. Each PIR has a corresponding virtual device (created manually, not by the plug-in). The PIR should send an off about a minute after it turns on, but wireless signals can get missed, and there is no handshake to help with reliability. (If the off command is missed, the virtual device will stay in the on state until the next motion is detected, so HS will miss that event.) To overcome that annoyance, I simply turn off the virtual device for the PIR when my monitoring script detects that it is on.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand your question, so if this doesn't answer it, please ask again.

I use wireless X10 motion sensors with the RFXCOM plug-in. Each PIR has a corresponding virtual device (created manually, not by the plug-in). The PIR should send an off about a minute after it turns on, but wireless signals can get missed, and there is no handshake to help with reliability. (If the off command is missed, the virtual device will stay in the on state until the next motion is detected, so HS will miss that event.) To overcome that annoyance, I simply turn off the virtual device for the PIR when my monitoring script detects that it is on.

Ok that makes sense. I was thinking that you were changing the value of the physical device to no motion by running a quick script command to change the value.

I will have to think about this in my head for a bit.

Comment

I do something similar. I group my motion sensors together by floors using a virtual device and 2 events for each floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

thanks guys... i was hoping that this would be simpler. :-) (one of the only things i liked about my old Vera system).

so I've created "lights off" event for a room with three lights.

If no motion for 15 min
                      Or if - light two has a value not equal to OFF
                      Or if - light three has a value not equal to OFF

then Set Devices
                      Light One to off
                      Light Two to off
                      Light Three to off

My motion sensor will reset status in 10 seconds... meaning, if i go into room and then leave, it will switch from motion to no motion in about 10 seconds.

This seems to work if i only turn light one ON. clearly... my logic is messed up with lights two and three... which will turn everything off if one of them is turned on manually.

Do i need three separate events for each light?

Or, can i just kill the And If and just have run the event if there is no motion, even if the lights are already off? Do i really care if it fires off the zwave command to turn off the lights if they are already off?

@Tomgru, it took me a bit to appreciate this challenge (you'll "get it" faster than I did, I'm sure): the "or if" statements are separate elements of how to trigger, so... in the case of three unique elements where each one might be the trigger (and the state of the other two matters), there must be three groups of three where the item ONE is the trigger (on change) and the other two are and-if, then the next OR-IF starts with item TWO as the trigger (on change) and 1 and 3 are the and-if elements, etc. I hope that helps. I suspect there's some fancier way to do this with a script, but this is how it seems to work with triggers since one element is the actual "trigger" and the other two are evaluated when that one element creates the trigger. So... three triggers with two add-on (and-if) each. HTH.

Comment

Do you have a script you use for this? If yes, please share. BTW - would make a cool plugin!

Comment

Originally posted by Ltek View Post
                          Do you have a script you use for this? If yes, please share. BTW - would make a cool plugin!
                          I may have posted this before, but am posting here again. Occupancy and lighting control are done with events using the device value of intMotion() devices as input. I've also attached an image of my motion graphics, based on the the values of intMotion() for each defined area. I use Jon00's VDGraphing script to create them.

Disclaimer: I am an amateur. The script is written for my situation, originally with HS2, and has grown and evolved over time. It is not well crafted for general use. If you are conversant with vb.net it may provide some insight into how I am approaching the problem, but it is probably not a good model to use if you want to learn how to program.

Code:
                              Sub Main(ByVal Params As Object)

'      List of the Device Ref#s for all X10 motion sensors to monitor 

'Occupancy 
                                  Dim intSensor_Ref() As Integer = {669, 671, 675, 677, 679, 687, 691, 689, 695, 697}

'Non occupancy
                                  Dim intSensor2_Ref() As Integer = {665, 667, 673, 685, 693, 394}

'      List of the Device Ref#s for motion graphing
                                  Dim intGraphic_Ref() As Integer = {902, 903, 905, 906, 907, 910, 909, 911, 912, 913, 904, 908, 915, 914}
                              '        sofa,  chair, toilet, tub,  shower,  DR,  Ndesk,  Mdesk, sink,  table,  LR,  Bath, Office, Kitchen

Dim intMotion() As Integer = {491, 492, 493, 494}           ' Area motion devices: LR, MBath, Office, Kitchen

Dim intLimit_I() As Integer = {41, 41, 41, 41, 41, 21, 41, 41, 41, 41, 41, 41}      ' Limits for incrementing motion count
                                  Dim intLimit_J() As Integer = {31, 7, 41, 21}

Dim I As Integer
                                  Dim J As Integer
                                  Dim intLast As Integer
                                  Dim intRef As Integer
                                  Dim intRef1 As Integer
                                  Dim intRef2 As Integer
                                  Dim intRef3 As Integer

' Check each motion sensor
                                  For I = 0 To 9

intRef = intSensor_Ref(I)
                                      intRef1 = intGraphic_Ref(I)
                                      J = 0

'Identify area motion
                                      If I < 2 Then J = 1                                         ' Living Room area
                                      If I > 1 And I < 5 Then J = 2                                     ' Master Bath
                                  If I = 5 And hs.DeviceValue(intRef) = 100 Then hs.SetDeviceValueByRef(495, 100, True)        ' Dining Room
                                      If I > 5 And I < 8 Then J = 3                                     ' Office
                                      If I > 7 Then J = 4                                         ' Kitchen

If hs.DeviceValue(intRef) = 100 Then

hs.SetDeviceValueByRef(intRef, 0, True)         ' Be sure motion sense turns off
                                          intLast = hs.DeviceValue(intRef1) + 1           ' Increment count each time motion is on
                                          If intLast < intLimit_I(I) Then hs.SetDeviceValueByRef(intRef1, intLast, True)     ' Stop incrementing at a predefined limit

If J > 0 Then                   ' Motion sensor is a member of an area group
                                              intRef2 = intGraphic_Ref(9 + J)
                                              intRef3 = intMotion(J - 1)
                                              hs.SetDeviceValueByRef(intRef3, 100, True)         ' Turn on area motion device
                                              intLast = hs.DeviceValue(intRef2) + 1              ' Increment the area graphic device
                                              If intLast < intLimit_J(J - 1) Then hs.SetDeviceValueByRef(intRef2, intLast, True) 'limit total
                                          End If

ElseIf hs.DeviceTime(intRef) > 1 Then          ' Decrement count if motion sensor has been off for more than 1 minute

intLast = hs.DeviceValue(intRef1) - 2
                                          If hs.DeviceValue(intRef1) = 1 Then intLast = 0
                                          If intLast > -1 Then hs.SetDeviceValueByRef(intRef1, intLast, True)

End If

Next 'I

For J = 1 To 4

intRef2 = intGraphic_Ref(9 + J)
                                      intRef3 = intMotion(J - 1)

If hs.DeviceValue(intRef3) = 0 And hs.DeviceTime(intRef3) > 1 Then  ' The area motion device has been off more than 1 minute

intLast = hs.DeviceValue(intRef2) - 1           ' Decrement the area graphic device
                                          If intLast > -1 Then hs.SetDeviceValueByRef(intRef2, intLast, True)

End If

hs.SetDeviceValueByRef(intRef3, 0, False)                ' Turn off all area motion devices

Next 'J

hs.SetDeviceValueByRef(495, 0, False)                    ' Turn off DR motion

' Check each non occupancy motion sensor to be sure it turns off
                                  For I = 0 To 5

intRef = intSensor2_Ref(I)
                                      If hs.DeviceValue(intRef) = 100 Then hs.SetDeviceValueByRef(intRef, 0, True)

Next 'I

End Sub
                          Attached Files

Comment

question about the remove/cancel delay action. Exactly which device are we cancelling delay action for?

I have 2 VD as suggested One that is a day/night device
                            the other is a Bypass/Activate which is affected by the day/night device

I've gotten the on trigger to turn on the lights but I'm a little confused of the remove delay action. Mine says cancel delay action which I assume is the same but exactly what device am I selecting here?

Comment

Originally posted by dannieboiz View Post
                              question about the remove/cancel delay action. Exactly which device are we cancelling delay action for?

I have 2 VD as suggested One that is a day/night device
                              the other is a Bypass/Activate which is affected by the day/night device

I've gotten the on trigger to turn on the lights but I'm a little confused of the remove delay action. Mine says cancel delay action which I assume is the same but exactly what device am I selecting here?
                              It is one f the many inconsistencies in the event engine. When you choose “Cancel Delayed device Action” it becomes “Remove Delayed device Action” when the Action is completed.

The most common method of motion controlled lighting is a single event. Where “Motion” is the motion detector and “ light” is the light, the event is as follows:

IF motion changes and becomes motion
                              Then Set device light to On
                              Then Remove Delayed device Action for light
                              Then Set device light to Off after a delay of 5 minutes

This will turn the light on when motion is detected and set it to turn off after a delay of 5 minutes. The delay is configured under advanced device options. If you see a red square with an airplane in it under the control a device Action, click on it for advanced options. If the event is triggered again before the 5 minutes is up, the previous Delayed device Action is removed and a new one is created for 5 minutes later. This process will continue as long as there is motion, regardless of how long. As soon as motion ends the light will be turned off 5 minutes later.

Removing a Delayed device Action will not error if there is not one.

Comment

Working...
                              X