Tutorial: setting up a virtual device to track HVAC filter life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tutorial: setting up a virtual device to track HVAC filter life

We have a Honeywell thermostat, which reports everything via Z-Wave except for when it's time to change the filter. I therefore disabled that functionality at the thermostat, and instead am doing it through HS3. Here's what I did.

(1) Create a new timer. I called mine filter.
    (2) Create a virtual device. I called mind "HVAC filter."
    (3) Under the configuration tab for the new virtual device, assign a code to the device. I used the code F1. See screenshot.
    (4) Under the status tab, you want at least three status values: change filter now, filter OK, and reset. I added a couple of other filter OK status values to give me a graphical sense of how much life is left in the filter, and also a change filter soon status. The actual numeric values you assign doesn't really matter, so long as you keep track of which you assigned to which status. You can then assign appropriate status graphics for each value.

Importantly, the reset status is both, and all the other statuses are status only.

(5) Next, create events. At least two. One event is filter reset. When you select the reset value from the device management page, you want to execute the command as indicated in the screenshot to set the filter to the "OK" value (highest OK value if you have more than one), and then restart the timer you created.

The second event you have to have is Filter change. When the timer reaches the end of the filter life (I said 89 days), you execute a command to set the filter to the change filter now value. I also have it send me an email.

If you want to graphically depict how much filter life is left, you can add other events -- I added filter 1/2, filter 3/4, and filter low per the screen shot.

So, on the device management page, you can see how much life is left in your air filter. After you change the filter, you click reset.

The reason you have to do the script commands is that the various values are status only, so you can't directly control them via events in the normal way. However, you don't want them to be control values (or "both" values), because then that would show up as an option on the device management page -- that is, the only option you want on the device management page is to click reset.

There are obviously many other ways to do this, but hopefully this helps someone.
    Attached Files

I use Jon00 uptime to track my filters for my HVAC and Wine Cellar: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=133568
    Mike

Comment

Nice work Mike, thanks for posting your work!

Sent from my iPhone
      Tom
      baby steps...starting again with HS3
      HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
      HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
      Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
      In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
      System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Working...
      X