On for Exactly trigger help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On for Exactly trigger help

I'm trying to create an event that automatically closes my garage door if it's nighttime, the outside lights are off and the door has been open for exactly "x" minutes. In the example below I have it set to 1m2sec for testing but I plan to set to 30mins. This trigger is not working. Shouldn't this trigger hit after 1m2s?

Thanks
    Attached Files

For exactly triggers rarely work due to the timing of events. I would change it to the Device has been /for at least
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I actually started with on for at least and that didn't work so I changed it to exactly. I read Randy's post on on for at least can cause a run away trigger since every second it will trigger until the condition is no longer met. I'll try it again. I'd like to avoid a timer for this

Edit: Actually, on for at least is working. My outside light was off but the HS device said it was still on so the conditions were not met. I fixed that and now it work. Thanks Rupp.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        For exactly triggers rarely work due to the timing of events. I would change it to the Device has been /for at least
        I have many like that and they rarely not work.
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by denisl View Post
          I actually started with on for at least and that didn't work so I changed it to exactly. I read Randy's post on on for at least can cause a run away trigger since every second it will trigger until the condition is no longer met. I'll try it again. I'd like to avoid a timer for this.
          You can potentially add additional conditions to make sure the event doesn't trigger over and over again and you can also set the do not retrigger for xxx amount of time to prevent that.

Cheers
          Al
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

That's what I did - works like a charm now. Thanks guys.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by denisl View Post
              That's what I did - works like a charm now. Thanks guys.
              That is exactly it. The cannot re-run for is the ticket to allow the status of the door to change, preventing multiple re-triggers. As long as the trigger or a condition is based upon the status of a device that will change rendering the trigger or condition not true, the event will not run away. It is a good practice to add the cannot re-run parameter for any event that has an ambiguous trigger, even if the status of the device changes instantly.
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Is there some way to utilize this trigger (has been for at least) effectively on a dimmer switch?

The problem I have is when I select Has been.., then select a dimmer, my only choices are specific values (not ranges or > or <). So I can Select On, Off, or a specific Dim level between 1% and 98%.

What I would like to do is say if it has been >0 or between a certain range. What I have done as a workaround is trigger an event every minute and add a secondary condition that the value is >0.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards,
                Vector

Comment

Originally posted by Vector View Post
                  Is there some way to utilize this trigger (has been for at least) effectively on a dimmer switch?

The problem I have is when I select Has been.., then select a dimmer, my only choices are specific values (not ranges or > or <). So I can Select On, Off, or a specific Dim level between 1% and 98%.

What I would like to do is say if it has been >0 or between a certain range. What I have done as a workaround is trigger an event every minute and add a secondary condition that the value is >0.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards,
                  Vector
                  you can do that using the trigger "This device's value has been in range [X,Y] for exactly..." from the EasyTrigger plug-in
                  http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=173836

Comment

Thanks Spud,

I have that plug in and did not think to look for it there!

Regards,
                    Vector

Comment

Working...
                    X