how to define a changable variable to end a timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rprade View Post
    Generally we don't disable the motion control, because the timing is fine for normal activities. This is a multi purpose room and occasionally during exercise the lights may timeout because the motion is too close to the floor.
    Originally posted by jhearty View Post
    . . .motion control remains operational 98% of the time. Only on occasion do we want to disable it to leave it on or leave it off. When we do, the leave it on/off function is reset to normal nightly in case we failed to single click the switch to restore it manually.
    Got it. Thanks.
    I'm guessing that scene lighting isn't as popular as it once was. We use a scene selector rather than a light switch in most rooms, with long press and double press of a light switch as surrogates in small rooms with only a couple of "scenes" to choose from. The chosen scene determines how HS responds to motion (or lack of). It sounds like you are doing something similar, but from a different starting point.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Solution

Firstly let me thank everyone who had ideas and suggestions.
      Please note I am having trouble posting here with the graphics in the proper place so the rest of this is all graphics. It will take 2 posts since the system will not take it in one post
      Attached Files

Comment

Solution Part 2

Here is the 2nd part
        Attached Files

Comment

Wow that's a lot of logic for extending a timer. Wouldn't it be easier to have a simple motion sensor that automatically resets the timer each time it senses motion?
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I must say I'm confused.
            If I understand the problem, this is how I'd approach it.

There are four events (screen shots for the last three attached below). [PS. Sorry, I mixed up lamp names, it should be Entry Sconces in all events.]
            1. Virtual device is set for a short delay unless a switch is double pressed, then it is set for long delay. (Summer / Winter in my example.)
            2. Motion detected, actions: remove delayed actions for lights, turns on lights, run one of two other events depending on the virtual device value.
            3. Short delay. Turn off lights after 3 min
            4. Long dealy. Turn off lights after 15 min

Am I missing something?
            Attached Files
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I'll say I like Mitch's described end result of being able to click on once to add a minute and double click to add 5 minutes. However it is a lot of events, complicated and confusing. When I posted my approach in this thread a few days back I was concerned about the same thing.

There is a lot that can be done with HomeSeer events, but it can easily become complex and require a lot of events to accomplish what on the surface sounds like a fairly simple task. I'm starting to think about a combination of events and scripts to help simplify and streamline the events, yet maintain the ability to tweak the events to adjust how things work. Interested in hearing what others might have done to simplify events.

John

Comment

This would all be so much easier with CountDown timers along with being able to modify their current value by a specified amount.

e.g.
                If Scene 1 pressed twice
                THEN increment CountDown timer "Gym Light Countdown" by 1 minute
                cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
                  This would all be so much easier with CountDown timers along with being able to modify their current value by a specified amount.

e.g.
                  If Scene 1 pressed twice
                  THEN increment CountDown timer "Gym Light Countdown" by 1 minute
                  I really do wish there was a way to alter a timer by variable amount. For instance, I use timers for tracking computer usage, but I have the timeout for "inactivity" set at 3 minutes. That way I'm not constantly starting/stoping the timer for someone who has just stopped typing or moving the mouse for a little while. However, once I hit that 3 minute mark, I would like to stop my "usage" timer and then subject 3 minutes from it, but I can't find a way to do that I think having this would also help with those people that want to extend their automatic lighting timeouts (if they use timers for that).

Comment

Working...
                  X