X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wade
    replied
    Randy,

Do you call DS Bathroom Level event each time the light is triggered on, or do you have it conditioned upon not already being in the currently scheduled default mode to reduce processing load? If the latter, would you mind explaining how you've done it?

Thanks.
    Wade

Originally posted by rprade View Post
    First was a group of events that are based upon schedules and 2 virtual devices. The schedules are basically Day, Twilight and Night. The two virtual devices are Low Light and House asleep. The Low Light virtual device is controlled by a light sensor under the eaves outside on the west side of the house. Its purpose is to provide additional lighting and motion controlled lighting at times when it is so overcast as to provide little ambient light to enter through the windows. The House asleep virtual device is set to asleep when we manually put the house to sleep with MiniMotes in the bedroom. The house wakes up in the mornings by itself, based upon holidays, weekdays, work schedule, etc. There are the events to accommodate the various combinations.

Day

[ATTACH]62199[/ATTACH]

Day Low Light

[ATTACH]62200[/ATTACH]

Twilight

[ATTACH]62201[/ATTACH]

Night - awake

[ATTACH]62202[/ATTACH]

Night - asleep

[ATTACH]62203[/ATTACH]

A single event can be called to set the light levels. This event calls the six level setting events, each of which evaluate schedules and virtual devices.

[ATTACH]62204[/ATTACH]

Next I will dissect one of the level setting events explaining the function. All of them are similar.

Leave a comment:

• TeleFragger
    replied
    ... use three virtual devices for holidays, one for the actual holiday, a second one for work holidays (including compensation for observed date), and a third for a work holiday tomorrow. The work holiday devices are used for scheduling. The virtual device for "holiday tomorrow" is set the day before so we can adjust the "house to sleep", heating and hot water schedules.
    I need to integrate holidays into my events. I see my outside front lights and outlets, during holidays I enable/disable or change times for some events. I need to look into this!. example is right now I have a light at front porch and between garage doors... they come on every day at sunset and off at sunrise but during holidays, they need to be off until 11pm to not drown out say Halloween or xmas lights. Or alternatively put 2 zwave/wifi rgb bulbs in.. hah...

Leave a comment:

• Timon
    replied
    OK, several have asked for this. It will be long and thorough.

I decided to create a new event group for each light to make it easier to manage associated events and controls. There are a lot of events, but there are some unique features to this room. I will cover each of them.
    Lots of good information, gives me a lot of ideas to use.

Wanted to make sure I understand something. If you have multiple lights in a single room do you still, or would you, use a new event group for each light in that room? That would really up the number of event groups.

For me my Kitchen, Dining Room and several others have at least 5 lighting controls. Many others have at least 3. In all cases each room does have a primary light with the other being auxiliary lighting. Currently I only have 15 WD-100+ switches, the rest are Evolve LRM-AS-W pieces of junk and will be replaced over time, and they are all in primary light positions.

So although I like the idea, and I currently do have every room in its own event group, I'm on the fence about splitting up rooms. Boy do I wish you could have event groups within an event group because that would make the decision so much easier.
    Last edited by Timon; March 6, 2018, 07:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jryan15
    replied
    Thanks again for the awesome write ups!

Thought I'd post in on a couple minor tweaks that I'm using. A singe up tap does either of two things. If the lights are dim, they go to max. If the lights are at max, they revert to the dimmer defaults.

Also for a double tap up, I disable the "off by motion" event. Don't really have a closing event after this. They'll stay on until manually shutoff or until a manual group event like "bedtime routine" or "turn off all the upstairs lights".

Leave a comment:

• jryan15
    replied
    Gotcha, thanks. I think that press and hold might get screwy in my house, but still early to tell. I think for now I'm going to try and use a scene 1 double tap to set the mode that disables motion control. I'll stay with Randy's method of light off to reset the dimmer and motion enable's.

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    Originally posted by jryan15 View Post
    Slightly off topic question in regard to the switch scene for top button held on...

How does the HS100 switch determine the difference between someone trying to increase the bulb output (dimming) and someone doing a press and hold?
    If you press and hold there is a second or two before dimming change. It is possible to get a press and hold without changing the level. It is not possible to change the level without triggering a press and hold. It is all a matter of timing.

This is a problem in my events as it will disable motion control with a manual change in level. This is corrected by the event enabling motion control when the light changes and becomes off. That is why I added the double tap top to set the light at full and a double tap bottom to return to default. I don't find myself needing to manually adjust brightness beyond occasionally needing it really bright. With the HS-WS100+ switch it is not a factor.

Leave a comment:

• jmaddox
    replied
    Originally posted by jryan15 View Post
    Slightly off topic question in regard to the switch scene for top button held on...

How does the HS100 switch determine the difference between someone trying to increase the bulb output (dimming) and someone doing a press and hold?
    They are one and the same. Just like you can set and event for a single press of the top or bottom paddle when you turn a switch on or off.

You can think of press and hold as setting an event when you are dimming up or down.

Leave a comment:

• jryan15
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jryan15
    replied
    Fantastic update with awesome information!!! Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    Schedules. These are the Easy Trigger schedules I use. I arbitrarily made Twilight from 30 minutes before sunrise until 1 hour after sunrise and 1 hour before sunset until 30 minutes after. Those schedules seem to be about correct for a normal day.

Day Schedule

Click image for larger version

Name:	DayLevel.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1191565

Twilight Schedule

Name:	TwiLevel.PNG
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	1191566

Night Schedule

Name:	NightLevel.PNG
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	1191567
    Last edited by randy; July 13, 2017, 03:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    The last central scene controls are to turn the Motion Master device on and off. A triple tap of the top paddle turns it On

Name:	dsbtt3.PNG
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1191550

A triple tap of the bottom turns the Motion Master device Off

Name:	dsbbt3.PNG
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1191551

This device is not reset and will remain enabled or disabled until controlled at the switch.

We use the same button combinations in every room as much as possible. A press and hold will temporarily disable motion controls, a triple tap of the top or bottom will completely enable or disable motion control. In any room where there are power management controls, a double tap with power off in that room will turn the power on. If the power is already on and the control is a dimmer a double tap of the top will turn the light On full.

Two more central scene controls are a single tap of the bottom. In addition to turning the light Off, it will enable Motion.

Name:	dsbbt1.PNG
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	1191552

A single top tap will turn the light On to the default level. In addition there is an immediate script to set the motion sensors Last Change to now so that the light will not turn Off immediately if one was to turn it On before motion was detected.

Name:	dsbtt1.PNG
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	1191553
    Last edited by randy; July 12, 2017, 08:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    Motion control. There is one or more PIR detector in any room that has motion controlled lighting. I use the same central scene functions whether for a dimmer or switch, but the dimmers will turn on to the default levels. First is the On by motion event:

Name:	dsbonbymotion.PNG
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1191544

There are two groups of triggers and conditions. The first one is triggered by motion when in the motion control time schedule. The second group is triggered by motion when the "Low Light" virtual device is on. Then each has a condition that the light must have been off for at least 30 seconds. This is to prevent it from triggering again after the light is turned off as there is still motion in the bathroom. The PIRs I use are almost instant, wired through my DSC security panel. There are two motion enabling virtual devices, the Motion Master device will disable motion control for that light. The Motion Enable device is a temporary control to allow override of motion control and is reset when the light is turned off or with certain central scene triggers.

There are two Off by motion events. There is a door sensor that lets me know if the door is open or closed. We leave doors open when bathrooms are empty and they are closed when it is occupied. There is the chance a guest might close the door when it is vacant. The only difference in the two events is that a lot more time is allowed when the door is closed, in case someone camps out in there but doesn't move enough to trigger motion.

Name:	dsbnomotiondooropen.PNG
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1191545

Name:	dsbnomotiondoorclosed.PNG
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1191546

Now there are some central scene functions that affect motion controls. If the top paddle is pressed and held, the light will be turned on and the Motion Enable device turned off. This will allow the lights to stay on, regardless of motion. This is not so useful in the bathroom, but in other basement rooms it is nice if you want the lights to stay on as you might pass through one room to get to another.

Name:	dsbsuspendmotionon.PNG
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1191547

Similarly pressing and holding the bottom paddle will disable motion control with the lights off.

Name:	dsbsuspendmotionoff.PNG
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1191548

There is a cleanup event triggered when the lights are turned off that resets the Motion Enable and Control virtual devices.

Name:	dsbathoff.PNG
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	1191549
    Last edited by randy; July 12, 2017, 07:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    I added a couple of functions to control the light level. A double Tap of the top paddle will turn the lights on to maximum. A double tap of the bottom paddle will set the light back to default, as long as it is not Off. There is a slight wrinkle in the bathroom and in other rooms. For energy management we use certain conditions to control the power to devices that present a vampire load, even when they are nut doing anything. There is a TV in this bathroom connected to a DirecTV Genie client. If the power to the Genie has been cut, a double tap of the top paddle will turn the power to the Genie client on. If it is already on a double tap will set the lights to on.

Name:	dsbtt2dtvoff.PNG
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	1191540

Name:	dsbtt2dtvon.PNG
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1191539

Name:	dsbbt2.PNG
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	1191541

This is also an example of how the "Control" virtual device is used. If the control device is Off the light can be set at a different level than the defaults, if it is On the default overrides are in place. This device is a carryover from when I was using Cooper dimmers and is really not necessary with the HomeSeer scene capable dimmers. I have left it in place until I can make sure there aren't any consequences to its removal.

With the Cooper dimmers there was an event triggered by the device being turned on to any level. That event then called the level set event. Without the Control virtual device the light would always try to set itself back to the default level when manually controlled, so as soon as the level set event ran it would turn Control off. With the HomeSeer dimmers, that is no longer needed since everything is triggered by central scene functions.
    Last edited by randy; July 12, 2017, 06:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    Then I added a function to adjust the light level if the lights are on and a new time zone is entered or a virtual device changes.

Name:	dsbnewtime.PNG
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	1191538

This event looks for a change in schedule or a change in setting of House asleep or Low Light. I did add a condition evaluating Use Defaults, just to stop it from evaluating all six level setting events unnecessarily. each of those events looks for that device to be on, so it would work without the condition being in this event. If a new schedule is entered or one of the virtual devices is changed and as long as the lights are not off, the level set event runs.

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    If we take the Night Awake level for example

Name:	dsbnightawake.PNG
Views:	2
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1191535

It is a manually triggered event and is only called from the level setting event. The level setting event calls all 6 of the levels honoring their conditions.

The first thing the event does is determine if it is in the correct schedule. There are two virtual devices involved, "Use Defaults" and "Control". Use Defaults is a virtual switch I can use to control whether dimmer defaults are employed for this light and the Control device is used so that dim levels can be overridden manually or for other reasons within the controlling events. If we turn Use Defaults off all of the level setting events are disabled. The Control device is used to temporarily disable dimmer defaults when I want to override the preset levels. Then it evaluates the House asleep virtual device. Finally it sets the dimmer to the appropriate virtual device using Easy Trigger's "Set Device to Another Device...".

You can see the control virtual devices are part of the defaults control block.

Name:	dddsbath.PNG
Views:	2
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1191536

The "Last Level" virtual device is unused at this time, but was included for possible future use.

For now if the Use Defaults device is off, the dimmer is set to its last level.

Name:	dsbnodefault.PNG
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1191537

Without this event the light would not be controlled by the level setting event.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X