Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between device value set to and changes and becomes ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between device value set to and changes and becomes ?

I am not sure what the exact difference between

'device value set to' and 'device value changes and becomes'

not sure which I use for what ?

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
    I am not sure what the exact difference between

'device value set to' and 'device value changes and becomes'

not sure which I use for what ?
    If a device is "On" and you use an event to set it to "On" it will trigger 'device value set to' "On". HomeSeer (and manual) control of a device can "set" its value, without actually changing it. A temperature device in a thermostat can be updated or "set" without actually changing the temperature. In order to trigger 'device value changes and becomes' the value (status) of a device must change.

With the new HomeSeer HSWx100+ scene devices you would want to use 'device value set to' because pressing the top paddle a second time will "set" the value, but will not change it.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Set to is good if a device is set to the same value it already was sitting at. This comes in handy for the new HS-Wx100+ switch scenes for example where someone might press the top paddle, then later press the top paddle again. In that case the second press still triggers the event.

Changes and becomes means the device value has to change to a new value. If that was used in the above example, the second top paddle press would not trigger the event.

Comment

There are times you want "changes and becomes", mainly if you only want the event to fire once because of a device change. Namely for me its alerts. I only want alerts if something actually changed.

To add complication to this all. There is also the option on the device itself to not update the last update time unless the value actually did change. This gives you the ability to have A. the device time update when a request is made to the device, whether it changed or not, or B. only update the time if the status actually did change.

Between the four different things there, you can see that the event engine can do some pretty spiffy things if you know how to use them properly.

Comment

Ok the reason I was asking is I want to check if my windows are open before switching on the AC. So in this case i should use 'equal to closed'. I also have a condition to turn the AC off, and then the condition would be 'changes and becomes open'.
          I do not want the AC to turn on if the windows are open. And I want the AC to turn off if the windows are opened. So I think that should work as expected then.

Comment

Thats an easy thing to do, and I do the same as well. I have a virtual device to monitor the doors, and another to monitor the windows. It tracks which ones are open and how many (I use the how many to control my whole house fan speed). If the windows or doors are open for more than 2 minutes, the AC/Heater shuts off until the house is closed up again. I do the delay to deal with someone just walking in or out of the house.

It uses a couple of events, timers, and there is a script I have that tells me when the outside temp is low enough to open the windows up and have the fan start up. Also on the reverse it tells me in the morning to shut down the house if its getting too warm outside.

Use a timer that is controlled off your virtual devices, once the timer reaches two minutes, shut down AC. Once everything is closed and your virtual devices show everything closed, turn the AC back on. In this case I would use device value set to as a safety, vs changes and becomes. This allows multiple fires if one fails for some reason.
            Attached Files

Comment

I do the same with monitoring the outside temperature, just before my Ac should come on I check it, and if its could outside I get a notification to open the windows.

Comment

Working...
              X