Good Night Event taking longer to complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Night Event taking longer to complete

Not really an issue, but more a concern and curiosity. I have a night scene like most that shuts everything down on the house as we go to bed. There is logic in there to keep the main floor lit until its completely unoccupied (i guess not really important).

My question being, I have it to shut lights down that may have been left on, light a path up to the bedroom and turn other things on in the bedroom like the TV and such, lock the house, close the awnings, set the alarm... and on and on. It's growing too. Right now I probably have 20 tasks to complete under the one event. I have never had issues with it, but I am getting concerned that maybe its starting to grow too much and eventually it will start failing. The delays I am not concerned about as the timing isn't mission critical, but what is mission critical part is that I can trust that it will all complete eventually.

Are others seeing something similar with bigger events? Do you split things up to spread the load, or does that even matter? I suspect it's more than likely the zwave aspect of it since I think it send commands linearly, but I guess maybe I am over thinking something here.

Mine also used to take a little while as well and I hated the fact that it was so "linear" (still do). What I did though was create separate events for each room. "Turn off office", "Turn off dining room", etc. Then I call those from the main event OR I have them use the same trigger as the main one. I do however add in delays between each room. I do this because no one is there to see the delays, but it guarantees that 1 room happens at a time and that looks a little better to me.

Like you I also keep the living room on until it's unoccupied. I use the TV to determine this. Once the TV is off for 5 minutes and the house is in "night" mode, it turns it off. At the same time, if the house goes into night mode and the tv is already off, it turns off all the lights immediately instead of waiting (no reason to wait if no one is watching tv).

I've been moving more and more to using a common trigger instead of 1 main event. I have a virtual Device for "Goodnight" which is turned on when I put the house to "sleep" Many of my events look for this to turn on and fire either immediately or after a delay. I have another event that turns "goodnight" back to Off almost immediately (this way you can technically fire the goodnight script again if, for example, your son sets it off early...LOL).

Another benefit of this is that I can reuse those events. For my office, I can have 2 triggers. One when the house goes to sleep and 1 when I leave the office and double tap the off button on my KPL.

Another thing I've started doing since I use Insteon and an ISY is that I set up "scenes" in the ISY for turning off rooms that rely heavily on Insteon (I have a 50/50 mix of that and z-wave). With the Insteon scenes, all devices in that scene react at once instead of in a linear fasion. It's not overly perfect though. For instance I just finished a bathroom and added all Inteon dimmers, switches and outlets. I want HS to handle the "fast of" command (instead of the ISY), so double clicking the off on the main lights turns those off immetiately, then after that the rest of the devices turn of in unison.

Comment

Working...
    X