Repeated Event Trigger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repeated Event Trigger

Over night, I had an event which repeatedly sent messages (+7500!). The event is shown below but basically I was expecting it to send the message once as I do with other events. The log also replicated with thousands of 'event trigger'. The shed door switch is a Fibaro Zwave door/window sensor. Can anyone tell me why this happened? (disabled in the meantime)
    Attached Files

Anytime after its been armed longer than 15 minutes, and the door is open, it will send a message. The event's triggers will get re-evaluated continuously and if it's still true, it will continue to trigger the event. You can either change it to run exactly after 15 minutes, or set the cannot re-run option in the event's settings.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

The 'for at least' will just trigger continuously until the device is changed to another state (apart from Armed) and reset again. Use 'for exactly' rather than 'for at least'.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny_holden View Post
        Over night, I had an event which repeatedly sent messages (+7500!). The event is shown below but basically I was expecting it to send the message once as I do with other events. The log also replicated with thousands of 'event trigger'. The shed door switch is a Fibaro Zwave door/window sensor. Can anyone tell me why this happened? (disabled in the meantime)
        Your first trigger will trigger once a second after the initial 15 minutes pass. Your event would run once a second as long as the shed Door Sw Sensor is Open.

There are two immediate solutions. Change it to "Armed for EXACTLY 15m", but that would mean it would only send one pushover message and only if the door happens to be open at that 15 minute mark.

Assuming you want to be reminded if that door is open any time after the system has been armed for 15m, the easiest solution would be to select "Cannot Re-Run For:" in the advanced event options. If you chose an hour, you will get one pushover message the first time the door is open 15 minutes after arming, then you will get one an hour until the door is closed or the system is no longer armed.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thank you guys. I find some of the english used for triggers throw me out with 'exact' or 'at least' as I'm thinking along the basics of the software completing a single scan of the event sequence when the trigger is met and carries out the action.
          If the event is re-scanned every second for 'at least', why can't you get HS to toggle the state of device on/off based on the state of the trigger.
          If it's continually scanning, shouldn't it be 'state' rather than 'trigger'?
          It's disappointing that HS3 help isn't completed for events with an explanation how the software behaves and what each trigger does. It's just a list.

Comment

Thank you guys. I find some of the english used for triggers throw me out with 'exact' or 'at least' as I'm thinking along the basics of the software completing a single scan of the event sequence when the trigger is met and carries out the action.
            If the event is re-scanned every second for 'at least', why can't you get HS to toggle the state of device on/off based on the state of the trigger.
            If it's continually scanning, shouldn't it be 'state' rather than 'trigger'?
            It's disappointing that HS3 help isn't completed for events with an explanation how the software behaves and what each trigger does. It's just a list.
            You can use a device to stop it. You can create a virtual device, control it by the event and use it as a condition. That device will allow the event to run once. Then use another event to reset the device.

In your case when the door changes and become "Closed", turn the device Off.

You can also use a counter. Only allow the event to run when the counter is 0, then increment the counter when the event runs.

You might look here for posts relating to event construction.

Comment

Cheers Randy. The posts were helpful. However, some of the 'coming soon' would be useful too.
              I tried another sinaro: I tried 'momentary' trigger.. 'changes and becomes' on a motion sensor. If a one shot trigger why did the WAIT timer continue to timeout and switch on my test device?
              Attached Files

Comment

Cheers Randy. The posts were helpful. However, some of the 'coming soon' would be useful too.
                I tried another sinaro: I tried 'momentary' trigger.. 'changes and becomes' on a motion sensor. If a one shot trigger why did the WAIT timer continue to timeout and switch on my test device?
                Sorry about the "coming soon". I still plan on finishing, but it has to be when I find time. I will do my best to get back after it.

Because a "Wait" Action simply suspends further processing of actions for that period of time, an event, once true (a Trigger and Condition set ALL true) will run all actions.

If an event has a "Wait" action it can be cancelled by another event while during the wait period. Another alternative is to delay an action or another event, both of which can also be cancelled by another event before they run.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zone.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	1186189
                Last edited by randy; July 6, 2016, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Cheers. I can see what it's doing now. It's just not clear with the term 'Wait'. I would expect something like 'Triggered Timer'. Us brits are fuss arses now we're coming out of the EU :-)
                  Look forward to updates. It's a shame its not developed in the HS3 help. Not sure why this is incomplete..

Comment

Working...
                  X