Problem with recurring event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with recurring event

I have had the following event working for a long time.

Suddenly it seems not to be triggering at all. I can't figure out why it should not be working.

any suggestions appreciated.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by zsima View Post
    I have had the following event working for a long time.

Suddenly it seems not to be triggering at all. I can't figure out why it should not be working.

any suggestions appreciated.
    Your second condition "AND IF the time is 5 min before sunrise" would only allow the event to run once a day and only if the recurring trigger happened at exactly that time. The first condition is only true for 15 minutes. Both of them can never be true at the same time. I don't see how the event ever ran.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
      Your second condition "AND IF the time is 5 min before sunrise" would only allow the event to run once a day and only if the recurring trigger happened at exactly that time. The first condition is only true for 15 minutes. Both of them can never be true at the same time. I don't see how the event ever ran.
      It would run as sunrise time moved so that 5m before sunrise was also at a 15 min trigger, but would cease running once again when 5m before sunrise wasn't in sync. The 2nd condition is the problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

In between times is a weakness within the HS event engine. I think the easy trigger plugin allows for it easily... Or scripting.

Comment

Originally posted by dzee View Post
          It would run as sunrise time moved so that 5m before sunrise was also at a 15 min trigger, but would cease running once again when 5m before sunrise wasn't in sync. The 2nd condition is the problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
          No, both conditions are problematic, especially when used together. They are both problems as I outlined in my post. The condition "AND IF the Time is after 11:45PM" is only true between 11:45PM and Midnight. Midnight is the beginning and end of "the time is before/after" conditions as outlined in the first post of this thread. The same is true of dates as well as outlined here, the year begins and ends at Midnight on December 31, when using wildcard dates.

The second condition has a very limited chance of ever being true as well. I am not sure what resolution there is to the internal variables for sunrise and sunset, but I will bet that they are only true for a second at most. If the resolution has more accuracy than seconds, the target becomes even smaller. Even on the off chance you could get your recurring trigger at exactly 5 minutes before sunrise, the first condition would not be true at that time, rendering the event unable to ever be true.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
            In between times is a weakness within the HS event engine. I think the easy trigger plugin allows for it easily... Or scripting.
            Easy Trigger would do it well. It could be handled in a standard event, except it would end at sunrise instead of 5 minutes before:

IF The event will automatically trigger every 15m, 0s
            AND IF The time is after 11:45 PM

OR IF The event will automatically trigger every 15m, 0s
            AND IF The time is before sunrise, but after 12:00 AM

Then action
            Then action
            Then action
            Then action

EDIT: This post was altered due to mistakes in my original post, pointed out by Uncle Michael
            Last edited by randy; July 20, 2016, 04:30 PM. Reason: fixed incorrect logic and missspelling

Comment

It could be handled in a standard event, except it would end at sunrise instead of 5 minutes before:
              Randy,
              I think it would be more like this, wouldn't it:

AND IF The time is before sunrise

Then actions
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

zisma,
                What is the reason for the recurring trigger?
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                  Randy,
                  I think it would be more like this, wouldn't it:

AND IF The time is before sunrise

Then actions
                  You're partly correct. The Nighttime condition I used on the first group is redundant, but it would still work. I didn't need to put that in. It was the result of hasty copy and paste.

There is no condition "The time is before sunrise". You could use "The time is before sunrise, but after 12:00 AM", which would be functionally identical to the conditions I used, but doing it all within one condition.

Comment

another option would be to create a "house mode" virtual device that you change the settings of it based off time. Then create your events using it as a condition. Example. Lights on if house mode is evening. I do this and it simplifies a lot of things and opens a lot of doors for other events.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                      another option would be to create a "house mode" virtual device that you change the settings of it based off time. Then create your events using it as a condition. Example. Lights on if house mode is evening. I do this and it simplifies a lot of things and opens a lot of doors for other events.
                      That is also a very good solution. I used virtual devices for the first couple of years.

Easy Trigger is an inexpensive plug-in and I found the scheduling feature to be so much better than virtual devices. Virtual devices can fall out of sync if you happen to restart HomeSeer at a time when a virtual device would be affected. Easy Trigger schedules can survive that. Additionally the schedules are easily changeable, give a graphical representation and facilitate easy global changes to timetables. The feature Spud added to "set a schedule to another schedule" opens up the ability to have dynamic scheduling changes.

In addition to schedules, Easy Trigger adds a number of other very useful Triggers, Conditions and Actions that could otherwise only be done with scripting. Not that there is anything wrong with scripting

Comment

There is no condition "The time is before sunrise". You could use "The time is before sunrise, but after 12:00 AM"
                        Sorry, I didn't include the last part because it's redundant logically, but you're right, it should be there as part of the command.

I think the example you gave also has an error, though, which I was actually trying to address.
                        AND IF The time is after 12:00 AM
                        AND IF The time is nighttime
                        will trigger from midnight to sunrise and after sunset till midnight, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                          Sorry, I didn't include the last part because it's redundant logically, but you're right, it should be there as part of the command.

I think the example you gave also has an error, though, which I was actually trying to address.
                          AND IF The time is after 12:00 AM
                          AND IF The time is nighttime
                          will trigger from midnight to sunrise and after sunset till midnight, I think.
                          You are correct, sir!

Original post corrected.
                          Last edited by randy; July 20, 2016, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies.

I have gotten Easy trigger and am trying it out now.

Comment

Working...
                            X