Questions about Delayed Actions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about Delayed Actions

I have searched the HS's help, the board and this forum's stickies and could not find any detailed information on how the delayed actions work. For the most part the delay is very useful and straightforward but there are a few things that are not clear to me.

1 - Why do some devices that are "controllable" have a delayed option while others do not? Specifically I am trying to delay a Pushover notification for one minute. It would be helpful to have this option.

2 - In an event with two actions, if the first action has a delay set, is the second action also delayed ?

3 - Can an event that is called after a delay also use delayed actions?

Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by Kitar View Post
    I have searched the HS's help, the board and this forum's stickies and could not find any detailed information on how the delayed actions work. For the most part the delay is very useful and straightforward but there are a few things that are not clear to me.

1 - Why do some devices that are "controllable" have a delayed option while others do not? Specifically I am trying to delay a Pushover notification for one minute. It would be helpful to have this option.
    Only Control a device offers a delay, a Pushover notification is not a Device. You could move your pushover action to a manually triggered event and call it with a delay.
    2 - In an event with two actions, if the first action has a delay set, is the second action also delayed ?
    No. The delay is on a device action by device action basis. You can have multiple devices in a single action sharing the same delay, but the next "Then" statement will not have the same delay and can only be assigned a delay if the action is to control a device or run another event. The delays are also independent - your first action can control a device with a 10 minute delay and your second can control a device with a 5 minute delay and the second action will run first. All delayed device actions create a new independent event with a time trigger, which automatically deletes itself after running.
    3 - Can an event that is called after a delay also use delayed actions?
    Yes. All events are equal. A delayed event is simply put in a queue with a time trigger, but it can be constructed the same as any other event.

Thanks for any help.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks for the explanation.

Is there any action types where a delay would not have worked as they do on devices?

Comment

Originally posted by Kitar View Post
        Thanks for the explanation.

Is there any action types where a delay would not have worked as they do on devices?
        I think delays are only available on Control a Device and Run Another Event Actions, so they are not even available on other actions.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
        X