Detecting partly opened windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detecting partly opened windows

I installed a new DSC panel and have my hardwired sensors for my windows going to home seer now. I have events setup to count the amount of windows opened and turn my whole house fan on and set the speed. Been doing this a while (using ardiuno to monitor wired sensors previously) and no issues.

Well now I decided to take it a step further and probably made an impossible situation.

I wanted the main level Windows to still have the ability to be opened, but secured. I put s slide lock on them so they can only open a few inches and added another magnet so the sensor sees the window closed in a "vented" state and keep it secured if someone does decide to mess with it. Well as you can imagine and something I didn't think about, to HS this makes the window look closed and now I ha e an issue with the above mentioned events.

Is there a way to fix this with events (doubting but have to ask) or do I need to add another sensor to the Windows to detect the vented state (not desirable, but will do if only option).

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
    I installed a new DSC panel and have my hardwired sensors for my windows going to home seer now. I have events setup to count the amount of windows opened and turn my whole house fan on and set the speed. Been doing this a while (using ardiuno to monitor wired sensors previously) and no issues.

Well now I decided to take it a step further and probably made an impossible situation.

I wanted the main level Windows to still have the ability to be opened, but secured. I put s slide lock on them so they can only open a few inches and added another magnet so the sensor sees the window closed in a "vented" state and keep it secured if someone does decide to mess with it. Well as you can imagine and something I didn't think about, to HS this makes the window look closed and now I ha e an issue with the above mentioned events.

Is there a way to fix this with events (doubting but have to ask) or do I need to add another sensor to the Windows to detect the vented state (not desirable, but will do if only option).
    You need two contacts and one magnet. Then you need logic for it.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Comment

That's what I was figuring, but wanted to try and take the easy way out.

Comment

Hi Wayne, perhaps you could put one of the wattage sensors on the whole house fan power feed and measure power draw with windows slightly open vs wide open at a given fan speed. Then knowing power draw ranges for free flowing air at each fan speed you can adjust the speed, no window sensors needed.

Comment

Perhaps create a VD for each window with Open, Vent and closed. Logic may be tricky to determine, but a blanket closed command with events to mark all devices could manually reset all.

Going from closed to open to closed could toggle VD state if closed etc

Comment

Depending on the system, you should be able to have both contacts on one wire with different resistors. Many newer systems can report different states depending on resistor ratings. Some can do open, closed, tamper and cut.

Comment

Originally posted by JHughes View Post
              Depending on the system, you should be able to have both contacts on one wire with different resistors. Many newer systems can report different states depending on resistor ratings. Some can do open, closed, tamper and cut.

I thought about this too, but don't think it will work since the alarm itself will still not see the window secured.

I ended up just buying a couple zwave sensors to add to it. This will allow the windows to remain secured for the security system, but allow me to put in logic for HS that the window is open. Not the cleanest (physically), but will work.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                I thought about this too, but don't think it will work since the alarm itself will still not see the window secured.

I ended up just buying a couple zwave sensors to add to it. This will allow the windows to remain secured for the security system, but allow me to put in logic for HS that the window is open. Not the cleanest (physically), but will work.
                I wish they had these in the US frequencies. They are insanely "thin" and I think would be barely noticeable:

http://www.sensative.com/strips.html

I have double hung windows in my house and as it is I would need 2 sensors per window anyways. I would rather have ones that are not as noticeable.

Comment

So this is how I resolved it, again not the cleanest, but the blinds cover it up mostly anyways. The top sensor is a zwave one that gets tripped by the top magnet when open, this tells me it's vented and allows the bottom magnet to think the window is still closed at the security panel so that the alarm can be armed and window secured. I have a slide lock at the top of the window to keep everything aligned.

Comment

Working...
                  X