Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabinet lighting / night light event help

***Solved and working***

I need a little help on this one, its driving me nuts trying to add all the variables in place.

What I want to do is have my cabinet lights turn on with motion, stay on for 10 minutes afterwards. They would also act as night lights when luminance sensor is below 350lux. They would also turn on with the kitchen fan light and stay on until that switch is turned off.

The sensos / switches involved are;
    Motion sensor
    Cabinet light dimmer module
    Kitchen fan light dimmer switch
    Outside 5-in-1 multi-sensor (using the lux reading from this one)

I scaped the whole event I made, it just wasn't working. it kept turning the lights off completely when going from ON state to Dim night light. They would eventually turn on but after a 30 second delay for some reason.

Can someone help me build a event from scratch?

Thanks in advance!!!
    Last edited by Gearhead; September 21, 2016, 11:22 AM.

I think something like this should work for you.

first Create a timer

event 1

if motion sensor is detected
    and if time is before sunset

or if motion sensor is detected
    and if outside 5-in-1 multisensor is above 350 lux

then start timer
    then turn on Cabinet light dimmer module
    then turn on the kitchen fan light

event 2
    If timer is more then 10m
    then reset timer
    then stop timer
    then turn off Cabinet light dimmer module
    then turn off the kitchen fan light
    Preferred -> Jon's Plugins, Pushover, Phlocation, Easy-trigger,
    Rfxcom, Blade Plugins, Pushbullet, homekit, Malosa Scripts

HS3Pro 4.1.14.0 on windows 10 enterprise X64 on hp quadcore laptop 8 GB.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearhead View Post
      I need a little help on this one, its driving me nuts trying to add all the variables in place.

What I want to do is have my cabinet lights turn on with motion, stay on for 10 minutes afterwards. They would also act as night lights when luminance sensor is below 350lux. They would also turn on with the kitchen fan light and stay on until that switch is turned off.

The sensos / switches involved are;
      Motion sensor
      Cabinet light dimmer module
      Kitchen fan light dimmer switch
      Outside 5-in-1 multi-sensor (using the lux reading from this one)

I scaped the whole event I made, it just wasn't working. it kept turning the lights off completely when going from ON state to Dim night light. They would eventually turn on but after a 30 second delay for some reason.

Can someone help me build a event from scratch?

Thanks in advance!!!
      This is a little complex, but ultimately it can be done with events. As always, there are several ways to accomplish this.
      • Do you want your cabinet lights to come on at a higher brightness when triggered by motion than they are for a nightlight?
      • Do you want them to be at a higher brightness when on with the kitchen fan light than when used as a nightlight?
      • Do you want them to come on with motion when the light level is above 350 lux?
      • Do you want the cabinet lights to come on with the kitchen fan lights even if it is above 350 lux?
      For these sorts of events, it is best to establish the exact rules before you build events. If I knew the rules, I could come up with a series of events.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
        This is a little complex, but ultimately it can be done with events. As always, there are several ways to accomplish this.
        • Do you want your cabinet lights to come on at a higher brightness when triggered by motion than they are for a nightlight?
          Yes, The night lights would be set at 15% until an event happens, then go full 100%
        • Do you want them to be at a higher brightness when on with the kitchen fan light than when used as a nightlight? Correct, they would also go 100% whether the motion triggers or fan light on triggers them.
        • Do you want them to come on with motion when the light level is above 350 lux? I've debated on this, and if possible YES, they would come on any time there is movement.
        • Do you want the cabinet lights to come on with the kitchen fan lights even if it is above 350 lux? Yes, any time the fan is on, the cabinet lights will be on as well.
        For these sorts of events, it is best to establish the exact rules before you build events. If I knew the rules, I could come up with a series of events.
        I have managed to come up with something using a timer and a virtual device but for some reason when the lux is below 350 and the cabinet is off, motion will not trigger the lights. This one is just so complex for me.
        I can list what I have built so far, or would you rather start from scratch?

Thanks a TON for helping me on this!!!!

Comment

Randy is the event god, so I don't want to take away from his help, but you have one statement in there that I may see what is happening (post screenshots of your events would help).

You stated:
          for some reason when the lux is below 350 and the cabinet is off, motion will not trigger the lights.

I suspect you may have the event backwards (just guessing) and need to make sure the motion is the trigger, and the lights, lux are the conditions.

So something like the first part of your event should be IF motion is detected (trigger) AND light is off (condition) AND lux is below 350 (condition).

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
            Randy is the event god, so I don't want to take away from his help, but you have one statement in there that I may see what is happening (post screenshots of your events would help).

You stated:
            for some reason when the lux is below 350 and the cabinet is off, motion will not trigger the lights.

I suspect you may have the event backwards (just guessing) and need to make sure the motion is the trigger, and the lights, lux are the conditions.

So something like the first part of your event should be IF motion is detected (trigger) AND light is off (condition) AND lux is below 350 (condition).
            I was thinking wrong there, It should have read "When the lux is below 350 and the cabinet light is at 15%(Night light), motion will not trigger 100%"

Comment

Ok, so if I understand correctly, if the light is at 15 percent (night light) and there is motion, you want to have the light change to 100 percent??

If that is the case, I have an event that is similar for my outside lights. I am looking at the value of the light and if it matches that and the door is opened, it brings the lights up to full power. I am not concerned if its night time or not in the event since the light wouldn't be at the lower level unless it was previously turned on by my evening event.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                Ok, so if I understand correctly, if the light is at 15 percent (night light) and there is motion, you want to have the light change to 100 percent??

If that is the case, I have an event that is similar for my outside lights. I am looking at the value of the light and if it matches that and the door is opened, it brings the lights up to full power. I am not concerned if its night time or not in the event since the light wouldn't be at the lower level unless it was previously turned on by my evening event.
                The complications come in when adding the Fan light switch in,. If it equals ON then cabinet lights ON 100%. The fan light overrides LUX and Motion and starts the Motion timer so that if I turn the fan light off, it waits 10 minutes before turning the cabinet lights down to 15%. If I re-enter the room, motion will be reset and ready to trigger

If LUX becomes 350 or less
                AND IF Fan light equals OFF
                AND IF Motion equals OFF
                THEN cabinet lights 15%

If fan light switch becomes OFF
                AND If Motion OFF
                AND If Lux equals 350 or less
                THEN cabinet lights 15%

I'll post what I have so far in just a minute

Comment

Events as I have so far. Including timers and virtual devices.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Got it! Finally figured it out. What was happening is anytime the night lights were on, motion would not trigger the lights 100%.

I had my "Cabinet lights ON with Timer" set to see "AND IF Kitchen Cabinet Lights has a value of OFF"

That didn't allow anyting to turn the lights on if they were already at 15%...
                    So now I've changed that to "AND IF KItchen Cabinet lights has a value that is less than 15%"
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X