Compiler error?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiler error?

I'm attempting to add a script to check for updates. Using the script posted here:
    http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=41

The log shows the following error:

Code:
    Compiling script C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\scripts\updates.vb: could not find library 'Scheduler.dll'
    The Scheduler.dll file is present in the c:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\html\bin directory.

So why am I getting the error? What's keeping the system from compiling the script?
    Last edited by wkearney99; September 5, 2016, 11:42 AM.

AFAIK scheduler.dll should be in the HS3 root folder. Is there a schrduler.dll.config there? You may want to try stopping hs and then moving the file.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Ok, I think it's related to starting up and wanting to avoid the UAC prompt.

As per:
      http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=165092

If I manually start the hs3.exe program from the file explorer it'll run without the scheduler.dll error in the log.

However, that doesn't do me much good if I want a hands-free automatic start should the machine require rebooting.

I mean, really, WTF is going on here? How is it a SERVER application like this, one that really has no local UI needs, can't be configured to startup automatically without jumping through hoops like this?

Comment

Just ran the script here (with a couple of changes) in Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit / HS3 Pro and it ran fine for me.

Relating to doing HS3 stuff in Windows 10 I modded the rights of the HS3 directories being utilized. Will post a picture of my mods. Everything runs just fine this way. You are circumventing security stuff doing this though. Currently only run plugins in Windows 10 that I cannot run in Ubuntu. IE: Kinect and Alexa and UPB and some others do fine in Windows 10 if the author writes the plugin to work in Linux and Windows. Not difficult to do these days.

Made two changes here.

Code:
        Sep-04 9:26:27 AM 	  	Event 	Event testscript runtestscript triggered by the event page 'Run' button.
        Sep-04 9:26:27 AM 	  	Event 	Event Trigger "testscript runtestscript"
        Sep-04 9:26:27 AM 	  	Event 	Running script in background: /HomeSeer/scripts/updatetest.vb
        Sep-04 9:26:30 AM 	  	UpdateCheck 	Latest HS3 Version: 3.0.0.297
        Sep-04 9:26:30 AM 	  	UpdateCheck 	Installed HS3 Version: 3.0.0.291
        Sep-04 9:26:30 AM 	  	UpdateCheck 	*** New HS3 Version Released: 3.0.0.297 ***
        Changes:
        • created the script called updatetest.vb using nano and made the script executable IE: chmod u+x updatetest.vb
        • changed hs3.exe to HSConsole.exe
          Dim HS3VersionInfo As FileVersionInfo = FileVersionInfo.GetVersionInfo(hs.getapppath & "/HSConsole.exe")
        Last edited by Pete; September 4, 2016, 09:21 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by wkearney99 View Post
          Ok, I think it's related to starting up and wanting to avoid the UAC prompt.

As per:
          http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=165092

If I manually start the hs3.exe program from the file explorer it'll run without the scheduler.dll error in the log.

However, that doesn't do me much good if I want a hands-free automatic start should the machine require rebooting.

I mean, really, WTF is going on here? How is it a SERVER application like this, one that really has no local UI needs, can't be configured to startup automatically without jumping through hoops like this?
          What OS are you running on? I'm running on W7 and start it automatically without a lot of tweaks. Make sure the shortcut you use to automatically start it runs as an administrator and that the startup/working directory is the hs3 directory.

Cheers
          Al

Comment

This is a Windows 10 machine. The account being used is part of the Administrators group.

I checked again and there are two copies of the Scheduler.dll file, one in the HS3 root and the other in the html/bin directory. Both appear to be the same version.

The error goes away if I start HS3.exe manually.

What's the "right way" to set up a Windows 10 box (itself set to auto-login to a given user) so that it'll then automatically start HS3 and NOT show the UAC dialog?

I have no desire to disable UAC. Programs should not have to disable it to run.

Comment

I'll let others comment on how to do it on W10 as I have little experience with it. My opinion on UAC is different, if you have a dedicated box that you are running HS on, then UAC should be disabled as it's intent is to prevent users using the system as a general PC (browsing internet, email, etc.) from running things they should not. IMHO a general PC should not be also used for HS.

Cheers
              Al

Comment

I have let one box update automatically with Windows 10 regular. This box has disabled many of my third party applications.

This is the one I am currently utilizing for testing HS3 stuff. It is lightly modified and working well.

Another box I modded was using W10 Enterprise and removed as much as I could (removed the user desktop experience). I did get it working stripped down to the base.

I started initially using a script called WinLite.

Found a way better way to do this using a similiar script to Winlite. It basically doesn't talk to Microsoft anymore which is what I wanted.

The script / program was on sourceforge.net and gone now. Will look for it.

Are you willing to venture to the dark side?
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                  I'll let others comment on how to do it on W10 as I have little experience with it. My opinion on UAC is different, if you have a dedicated box that you are running HS on, then UAC should be disabled as it's intent is to prevent users using the system as a general PC (browsing internet, email, etc.) from running things they should not. IMHO a general PC should not be also used for HS.

Cheers
                  Al
                  UAC serves just as valid a function on a machine running user-space programs as it would on a desktop. If just to put an additional roadblock in the way of problematic software.

A server-type application such as HS3 has ways to register itself to work with the restrictions UAC requires. Why it doesn't is problematic.

One option to work around software that doesn't use security properly is to avoid installing it in the Program Files directories. I haven't wandered down that road yet as I find it best to allow a program to be installed as per developer settings. Those may not be suitable on a W10 box, apparently.

Comment

Historically here went to using Windows Server for Homeseer 2.

Started testing HS3 using Windows server then went to Linux.

That said I did the following on the Windows 10 desktop to get it to run stuff for HS3.

I also use a third party program that does all of mods to the start up programs such that you do not have to use long hand math.

The Windows 10 desktop experience involves mostly a tablet OS which is cloud connected and very dependant on the Microsoft cloud. There is no way these days to disconnect the OS from the Microsoft cloud. That is just the way it is.

I would entertain using Windows 7 or Windows Server for running Homeseer 3 or maybe run it in Linux. Ubuntu is free. So is Jessie for the RPi3.

The Arm based Pine64/2Gb machine runs a quad core ARM CPU at around 1.2Ghz and has 2Gb of memory and runs Ubuntu 16.04 64bit and HS3 just fine. (BTW runs circles around the RPi3).

I have suggested using r2 Studios startup delayer. Easy peasy stuff and works fine in Windows 10.

It is free and you can find it over here ==> Startup Delayer

Relating to my thinning out of Windows 10 enterprise client of a test client related mostly to it running on an Atom based tablet top with 512Mb of memory. Most of the work it did was talking to the internet and Microsoft. I was able to disable every service that talked to MS and made the tablet only HSTouch / HSSpeaker centric which worked.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Pete; September 4, 2016, 10:26 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                      I have suggested using r2 Studios startup delayer. Easy peasy stuff and works fine in Windows 10.
                      Ah, that works, thanks.

As for W10 and cloud integration, W10 itself isn't really any different than all the other variants of post-Windows 2000 implementations. If you don't use any of the desktop cloud-dependent features it's really not different enough to matter. What you do get is all the incremental improvements of the underlying OS. Whether W10 is sufficiently 'better' than 7 or 8 is debatable. There are a couple of W10 features I wanted to have available and this machine has enough free cycles to run HS3.

At some point in the near future I plan on moving HS3 off this box and onto it's own more 'embedded style' hardware. As in, wall-mountable, fan-less, etc. Fortunately HS3 seems like it'll make that relatively painless.

But this is a discussion deserving of an entirely separate thread. My question here was the somewhat ambiguous error message regarding event scripts failing to compile and the Scheduler.dll error. Using Startup Delayer eliminates this.

(there, hopefully that 'primes the pump' for anyone else searching for this kind of error)

Comment

Good news Bill!

I have made Windows anything these days virtual and do not pay much attention. I just use what I need then shut it off. Windows 10 is much improved over Windows 8.1

The Windows metro applications are nice for a tablet. There are cloud resources built in to the OS. Early editions of W10; you could disable them / remove them. Newer (well enterprise) you cannot.

Curious here about your Windows 10 / HS3 Pro thing running a script and will test it here on my built for functional HS3 Windows 10 client machine.

This client W10 machine isn't running start up delayer and have done everything long math way more to learn about Windows 10.

I am using start up delayer on my embedded HSTouch screens and it works fine. After a bit it gets a convoluted. I am running some 4 pre homeseer client applications (and one script). on boot of the embedded boxes.

More and I will probably start losing track.

Yesterday noticed that I could do MS SAPI VR just fine with Windows 10 using the old and new speaker dot exe. Then I tried the same on a users Homeseer 3 box in the UK and it didn't work.

I mentioned earlier above about using Windows Server. The builds are very tight for these boxes. Also have an embedded Wintel server NAS build that I used to play with which does work just fine.

HS2 to HS3 evolved a bit where there really isn't a desktop GUI required to manage HS3 as all of the management is primarily in the web interface these days. On the Linux boxes here run Webmin for the hardware / OS updating. Bigger box is just a Linux LAMP server with Mono on it. (and Oracle Wintel VB's).
                        Last edited by Pete; September 5, 2016, 02:54 PM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                        X