motion sensor event, what did I miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

motion sensor event, what did I miss

had to completely rebuild my system,, wasn't all bad, works better than ever before... but .. time to make my motion sensors work.
    read the instructions by Randy and missed something

any suggestions.
    Attached Files
    Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Originally posted by gearyt View Post
    had to completely rebuild my system,, wasn't all bad, works better than ever before... but .. time to make my motion sensors work.
    read the instructions by Randy and missed something

any suggestions.
    I guess I don't see what the first event is doing other than to start a timer and increment a counter. The second event will run as long as the virtual device is on (what turns it on?), but is not creating a delayed device action. If you want the lights to go off as soon as your motion sensor stops detecting motion, this is fine. Otherwise put a delay on the off action.

The third event should turn them On as long as the Day/Night and Control virtual devices are on.

If I look at the last screenshot, the virtual device "Misc Perimeter DriveWay Floods - Control" has never been controlled. I'm thinking you want a fourth event to turn that Virtual Device On when the counter exceeds a certain level within a time limit, another event to reset the timer and counter and a final event to turn that control back off. You would trigger the lights coming on with the counter.

Sort of like I do for our bathroom fans.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1186990

You could also forget the timer and counter and remove the "Misc Perimeter DriveWay Floods - Control" device from the second and third events.
    Last edited by randy; September 7, 2016, 04:17 PM.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

hmm, took this from early thread ..
      IF there is an easier way to stop lights from timing out w/ motion
      lay it on !!!!

Need to get one up and running then copy several times for several motion sensors !

Thanks

Geary
      Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

There are many ways to do motion controlled lighting. The simplest is a single event like this:

Name:	motion1.PNG
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1186996

This event is simple, will turn the lights on when there is motion and turn the lights off 10 minutes after the last "Motion" is detected. If Motion is detected again before the delayed action to turn them off, the delayed action is deleted and a new one is created for 10 minutes later. This "reset" can occur indefinitely as long as fresh motion is detected less than 10 minutes since the last motion. This works fine with binary PIRs that do not employ a Motion timeout. For Z-Wave and other devices that have a Motion timeout, this event can be problematic because those detectors will show motion continuously as long as there is motion again before the timeout period. The result can be that if you are moving around for 10 minutes, the lights will be turned off by the initial delayed device action. The lights will be turned on again when motion is detected again.

This pair of events does essentially the same as the one above, but uses two events, one for On and another for Off.

Name:	motion2.PNG
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1186997

The first event turns the light On when Motion is detected. It will only run if the light is On. If the light is Off the event runs, removing any delayed device actions in case the Off event had run within the last 10 minutes, but the light had been turned off manually. This gives it a clean start whenever Motion is detected and the light is off. The Off event runs whenever the detector goes to No Motion. It removes the delayed device action for the light, in case this event has run recently. This is redundant with the On event, but redundant is OK in this case. Then it creates a fresh delayed device action to turn the light off 10 minutes after the last No Motion is generated. If there is motion the light will stay on. This pair will work with any motion sensor, with or without a motion timeout.

I prefer this simple pair that doesn't use delayed device actions. Instead it used the last change time on the motion device and turns the lights off as soon as there has been no motion for "at least" 10 minutes.

Name:	motion3.PNG
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1186998

The On event is just like above. I did add "Nighttime" as a condition because I don't need my driveway lights turning on in the daytime. You can instead use a virtual device, an Easy Trigger schedule or a light sensor to control when this event will run. The Off event will turn the lights Off after there has been No Motion for at least 10 minutes. I prefer this trigger to "This device has been for exactly..." because it will clean up after itself if the exact target is missed for any reason. When this trigger is used there are two things that must be done to keep it from repeat triggering. You must use the controlled device as a condition so that the event will only run when the light is On. Secondly put in a "Cannot Re-Run For:" of 10 seconds, to keep the event from retriggering if there is lag in the device reporting its change in Status.

I also use timers and counters in some of my motion control events like the fan events I posted above. Those are used to make sure the device is turned on only when there is constant motion for a certain period of time. This will only work with fast acting PIRs that have no Off timeout. On Z-Wave and other motion sensors that have a motion timeout there is sometimes the ability to defeat the off timeout or make it short enough where it can really tell you if there is constant motion. I prefer the shortest possible motion timeout on my sensors and use events to control the timing.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
        X