Device controlled by xxx in log does not make sense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device controlled by xxx in log does not make sense

I am manually polling my TRVs with an event. I have noticed this message in my log:

Z-Wave
    Device: Thermostat HVAC Lounge TRV controlled by System Poll Kitchen TRV is being queued to be polled the next time it wakes up.
    and

Z-Wave

Device: Thermostat HVAC Study TRV controlled by System Poll Kitchen TRV is being queued to be polled the next time it wakes up.
    That looks to me as if the event in System, Event Poll Kitchen TRV is controlling Lounge TRV and Study TRV

but it shoudnt, and I cannot see anything in the event why it should...
    Attached Files

I'm no Z-Wave expert but my understanding is that you can't poll a battery device live time, as such when you request to poll it HS will instead the next time it wakes up (which is either at an interval or by some event such as the temperature changing) ask it when the device is awake. If a device had to listen on the radio all of the time for poll requests it would basically eat the battery up so it goes to sleep most of the time.

Comment

Apparently this is the way to send setpoints to StellaZ TRV's. You set a wakeup, then poll and send the setpoint request. It did not work before doing this, its working now (mostly). But this message just looks wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
        I am manually polling my TRVs with an event. I have noticed this message in my log:

Z-Wave
        Device: Thermostat HVAC Lounge TRV controlled by System Poll Kitchen TRV is being queued to be polled the next time it wakes up.
        and

Z-Wave

Device: Thermostat HVAC Study TRV controlled by System Poll Kitchen TRV is being queued to be polled the next time it wakes up.
        That looks to me as if the event in System, Event Poll Kitchen TRV is controlling Lounge TRV and Study TRV

but it shoudnt, and I cannot see anything in the event why it should...
        Do you have other events that poll the Lounge and Study TRVs and did you create the similar events by copying and then modifying the action? I have similar events polling my StellaZs and in the log entries the name of some of the controlling events are mixed up. I had put this down to copying and modifying the events, although mine were created a very long time ago when there were known problems with copying events in HS3. In some cases I have deleted the event that I had copied to create the new event. In these cases the log entry says something like ...controlled by (Invalid evRef).
        In my case the events all work fine and the correct event is triggering at the correct instant. It is just the description in the log that is messed up. I had intended recreating the events to see if it sorted it out but because it all works I have never got round to doing it.
        Steve

Comment

I did create all the events by copying, i only did this a few days ago. I think i might have started with the kitcheb trv poll event. I have more events, polling other trvs in my system, they show the same fault in the log but i thought listing these 2 examples was enough. I think everything is working fine, but will only really see once the heating is on properly and i can feel which rads are on when they should.

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
            I did create all the events by copying, i only did this a few days ago. I think i might have started with the kitcheb trv poll event. I have more events, polling other trvs in my system, they show the same fault in the log but i thought listing these 2 examples was enough. I think everything is working fine, but will only really see once the heating is on properly and i can feel which rads are on when they should.
            I know what this is from a long time ago and I think it is to do with the internals of HS and how it refreshes itself. So from what I remember if you were to make event name changes especially when using copy/edit, they would not be reflected in the Log unless you collapsed/closed the Event(s) Group. I'm sure a bugzilla was raised years ago about this but don't know what happened. I've just got into the habit of closing them when I make any changes.

Comment

Working...
            X