Polling Interval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polling Interval

So I have two lights in one room and want to control them both from one switch.
    I have this working in the living room, and today I copied and set the event for the Master Bath that I just installed switches for. So it wouldn't work, and I troubleshot forever and finally it dawned on me just now that I had this problem in the living room and I changed the Polling Interval to 1 Second, and it started working correctly. Is setting the Polling Interval to 1 second the right thing to do? What is the Polling Interval for? Is there a better way to control both switches by operating the one switch?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
    So I have two lights in one room and want to control them both from one switch.
    I have this working in the living room, and today I copied and set the event for the Master Bath that I just installed switches for. So it wouldn't work, and I troubleshot forever and finally it dawned on me just now that I had this problem in the living room and I changed the Polling Interval to 1 Second, and it started working correctly. Is setting the Polling Interval to 1 second the right thing to do? What is the Polling Interval for? Is there a better way to control both switches by operating the one switch?

You seem to have two images marged into one. But leave the polling stuff to Z-Wave setup. And create yourself groups of lights.
    Read this thead :http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=184698

EDIT :You can have a mixture of lights say Z-wave, X10...... But come on/off. Event ======> (Light A on THEN Light B on THE Light C off ..........)

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

You do not want to set the polling interval to one second. You're creating a lot of unnecessary z-wave chatter on your network, and it can definitely cause instability issues later on. Do a search on this forum and you'll see a lot of posts regarding setting low polling intervals.

The problem you're experiencing is that the switch doesn't report its status to the interface. And therefore HomeSeer is catching the status of the switch only during its polling -- which is meant more to be periodic (every 20 minutes if not higher) just as a verification of the state of the network.

Your only option is to get a different switch. The original instant status reporting switches were Leviton -- they had the patent (which expired in February of this year). HomeSeer does pseudo-instant status with GE switches. My understanding is that when a GE switch is actuated, the HST folks figured out that the GE switch identifies itself in some way, and they programmed HS3 to automatically send a polling to the switch in question. The big limitation on this is that there has to be a direct communication between the GE switch and the Z-Wave interface, without any "hops" in-between.

The *best* option frankly is to buy one of the HST's switches -- the WS100+ or the WD100+. They instantly report status to HST interfaces (at least to the Z-NET and the SmartStick+).

Comment

The problem you're experiencing is that the switch doesn't report its status to the interface. And therefore HomeSeer is catching the status of the switch only during its polling -- which is meant more to be periodic (every 20 minutes if not higher) just as a verification of the state of the network.
        I think that's exactly what's going on. I'm using Leviton Decora DZS-15 from Home Depot. As mentioned earlier there's only a couple of instances where this issue comes into play. I've been thinking of trying to find one of those switches that do the double-click for this situation anyways. Can the HST Switches do the Double-Click thing?

Comment

I see that they can.

Comment

Note that the Leviton Vizia RF+ line supports instant status, but not the DZS line of switches. The HS switches also support instant status and the double & triple clicks.
            HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Working...
            X