Event Time is at (Value from Virtual)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Event Time is at (Value from Virtual)

Is there a way to set an event run time from a string saved in a Virtual Device?

My ultimate goal is to have a time which can be set in HSTouch and have an event run based on the time. Yes, I am sure I could do a script to set the time, but I was hoping to do this without a script. And if I did this, I would still end up with something saving a string so I could show the time in HSTouch regardless of who opens the screen on which device. Basically, I can set a start time for an appliance, and if my wife opens the display on her phone, she sees that same start time.

Karl
    Karl S
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    1070 Devices
    56 Z-Wave Nodes
    104 Events
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
    Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

No there is no way to do this with a script, I have a kitchen timer and have to run an event every minute when it is running to determine whether or not 'Now' is equal to the time I wish for.

Comment

You could potentially create a delayed event using a script and have it execute based on the time in the virtual string. The event can auto-delete when it runs and then when you change the time, the script can create a new event.

Cheers
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
        No there is no way to do this with a script, I have a kitchen timer and have to run an event every minute when it is running to determine whether or not 'Now' is equal to the time I wish for.
        Does that mean you are just setting a start time in a different event and then setting a virtual device to "Now" in order to fire an event? If yes, why not just set the kitchen timer event directly?
        Karl S
        HS4Pro on Windows 10
        1070 Devices
        56 Z-Wave Nodes
        104 Events

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
          You could potentially create a delayed event using a script and have it execute based on the time in the virtual string. The event can auto-delete when it runs and then when you change the time, it can create a new event.

Cheers
          Al
          If I am writing a script, couldn't I set the event start time and not worry about power failures?

(just trying to think it through and make sure I am as straightforward as possible)
          Karl S
          HS4Pro on Windows 10
          1070 Devices
          56 Z-Wave Nodes
          104 Events

Comment

Originally posted by ksum View Post
            If I am writing a script, couldn't I set the event start time and not worry about power failures?

(just trying to think it through and make sure I am as straightforward as possible)
            Yes, that should work. However, with delayed events you set a specific start day/time so there's no issue with power failures.

Here's a script that I use to change the time on an event:

Code:
            Sub Main(ByVal Parms as String)

Dim ParmArray() as String
            	ParmArray = Parms.tostring.split(",")
            	dim evtName as String = ParmArray(0)		'name of event
            	dim evtGroup as String = ParmArray(1)		'name of event group
            	dim newTime as Date = CDate(ParmArray(2))	'new time

dim Debug as Boolean = True
            	Dim evtRef As Double
            	Dim logName = "Event Time Change"			'set log type for HS log
            	Dim success As Boolean

evtRef = hs.GetEventRefByNameAndGroup(evtName,evtGroup)
            	success = hs.EventSetTimeTrigger(evtRef, newTime)

If success Then
            		If Debug Then hs.writelog(logName,"Event " & evtGroup & " - " & evtName & " time changed to <font color=red>" & CStr(newTime) & "</font>")
            	Else
            		If Debug Then hs.writelog(logName,"Event " & evtGroup & " - " & evtName & " time <font color=red>NOT</font> changed to <font color=red>" & CStr(newTime) & "</font>")
            	End If
            End Sub
            However, if you are controlling an appliance, I'm not sure if you want it running every day so you should probably have a way to disable the event as well. I pass the time to this script with another script, but you could read the device string instead.

Cheers
            Al

Comment

However, if you are controlling an appliance, I'm not sure if you want it running every day so you should probably have a way to disable the event as well.
              I had an event in HS2 for this and it would run this script last, which disabled the event:
              Code:
              Sub Main (ByVal Param as object)
              Dim MyEvent as String

MyEvent = Param

hs.DisableEvent(MyEvent) 
              End Sub
              I am just trying to take advantage of updated possibilities and limit my scripts wherever I can.

(Yes, I am sadly JUST NOW getting around to upgrading even though I did an early purchase of the upgrade license... )
              Karl S
              HS4Pro on Windows 10
              1070 Devices
              56 Z-Wave Nodes
              104 Events

Comment

Originally posted by ksum View Post
                I had an event in HS2 for this and it would run this script last, which disabled the event:
                Code:
                Sub Main (ByVal Param as object)
                Dim MyEvent as String

MyEvent = Param

hs.DisableEvent(MyEvent) 
                End Sub
                I am just trying to take advantage of updated possibilities and limit my scripts wherever I can.

(Yes, I am sadly JUST NOW getting around to upgrading even though I did an early purchase of the upgrade license... )
                That script should work under HS3 as well.

Cheers
                Al

Comment

Working...
                X