Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will My Recurring Event Run After Midnight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will My Recurring Event Run After Midnight?

I created a series of events to incrementally dim to off a light. Question I have, will the event continue to run after midnight or if the light is turned on after midnight?

Thanks,

Jim
    Attached Files

Originally posted by AutomatedJim View Post
    I created a series of events to incrementally dim to off a light. Question I have, will the event continue to run after midnight or if the light is turned on after midnight?
    I don't think so. The HS day begins at midnight, so 12:01 AM is BEFORE your condition times.

In a case like this, I'd create a virtual device that you turn on at your desired start time and then off at whatever time you choose after the new day begins. Then replace the time condition with a condition that your virtual device is on.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
      I don't think so. The HS day begins at midnight, so 12:01 AM is BEFORE your condition times.

In a case like this, I'd create a virtual device that you turn on at your desired start time and then off at whatever time you choose after the new day begins. Then replace the time condition with a condition that your virtual device is on.
      So I can create one virtual device to be a condition for multiple events with different physical devices?

Comment

So I can create one virtual device to be a condition for multiple events with different physical devices?
        Short answer: yes.
        In the case of your events, though, you have different start times for each event, so that complicates the answer. If you need to start the recurring events at different times, it might be simplest to use a separate virtual device that your turn on at the start time of its corresponding recurring event.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Short answer: yes.
          In the case of your events, though, you have different start times for each event, so that complicates the answer. If you need to start the recurring events at different times, it might be simplest to use a separate virtual device that your turn on at the start time of its corresponding recurring event.
          Actually, will this work?

Add a before time that is after midnight?

I would like to avoid creating a new virtual device for each scenario, but will if absolutely necessary.

Thanks,

Jim
          Attached Files

Comment

No, that won't work because in a day there is never a time that is after 9:29PM and before 4:30am.

you can do an OR IF though.

This event will run every 15 minutes
            and if the time is after 9:29PM

OR this event will run every 15 minutes
            and if the time is before 4:30AM
            MeiAutomtion Home

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
              No, that won't work because in a day there is never a time that is after 9:29PM and before 4:30am. you can do an OR IF though.

This event will run every 15 minutes
              and if the time is after 9:29PM

OR this event will run every 15 minutes
              and if the time is before 4:30AM
              The problem with 'Or if' is that it requires duplication of all other conditions and the trigger. So it's a bit more than just adding an or:

If this event will automatically trigger every 15 minutes
              And if the time is after 9:29PM

Or if this event will automatically trigger every 15 minutes
              And if the time is before 4:30AM

That's not so bad if there is just one condition, but some of your events have several more, so all of them need to be duplicated. That approach will definitely work, though, if you choose to go that way.

Comment

Forgot about schedules in EasyTrigger and being able to cross midnight except on Sunday night. Ended up with this. Chime in if you see a problem.

@ Uncle Michael - I know this approach is like yours, but I would rather not have more virtual devices.

@ Sirmeili - I created the events as you suggested and then it dawned on me I have EasyTrigger.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Jim
                Attached Files

Comment

I had issue with a condition that I wanted to trigger between 30 min before sunset to 30 min after sunrise. The "nighttime" virtual device works well for that condition substitute

~Bill

Comment

Forgot about schedules in EasyTrigger and being able to cross midnight except on Sunday night. Ended up with this. Chime in if you see a problem.
                    Good solution! As you've clearly demonstrated, a point well worth remembering is that there are often a variety of ways to accomplish something with HS. Personal preference, experience, happenstance, or just trial and error can often lead to creative ways to solve a problem. Glad you found a way that works for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X