Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garage door open triggering lights, if not already on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage door open triggering lights, if not already on.

I'd like my garage door opening to turn on two exterior light circuits, if at night. Then turn them off 15 minutes later. I've got this part to work. But if the lights are already on, then do not turn them off 15 min later.
    And ideally, if the garage door closes within that 15 minutes, but then opens again, the 15 minute count would start over.

Here's what I did, but it's turning off all the lights after 15min, even if they were already on.

- I set up a manual event for each exterior light switch. see images below.
    - Then I set up an event for if the garage door changes and becomes open, then to run the manual events.
    Attached Files

When you run an event as an event action and you want the event conditions to be honored, you need to tell HS to run the event only if the conditions are met.
    Attached Files
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I don't see this check box.
      Would it be under each manual event for each light circuit, or under the event for the garage door becoming open and manually trigger the two separate light circuits?

==== after typing above...

OK I found the box, under each manual event for each light circuit, I added and action of "Run another event"," left the event blank, but checked the box. running test now.

Comment

well that didn't work. will delete those actions and try it under the event for the garage door triggering the other events, though I don't think that will work because I want each light circuit to work independent of the state of the other light circuit.
        Last edited by CinBRandon; December 5, 2016, 09:29 PM.

Comment

well that seemed to have worked... now i need to wrap my head around it and understand why. thanks for the help.

Comment

You will probably want to add an action to remove (previous) delay actions before setting a new delay action. Otherwise, when you open-close-open in a short span, the lights will go 15 min after the 1st open, not the 2nd. When you cancel the previous delay action it will go off 15 min after the last one.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CinBRandon View Post
              well that seemed to have worked... now i need to wrap my head around it and understand why. thanks for the help.
              This thread may help you understand.
              Last edited by randy; December 6, 2016, 02:03 PM.
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                You will probably want to add an action to remove (previous) delay actions before setting a new delay action. Otherwise, when you open-close-open in a short span, the lights will go 15 min after the 1st open, not the 2nd. When you cancel the previous delay action it will go off 15 min after the last one.
                Yes, I had this thought. Thanks!!!
                I'm trying to figure out where to enter this action. Right now the garage door becoming open is setting off the action of manually triggering the two separate events, one for each lighting circuit... so the status of one light circuit does not affect the other.
                Would I need to enter it in the Garage door event, or in each event for each light?
                Last edited by CinBRandon; December 6, 2016, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I would think in each event. I have another event that turns on the light when, at nighttime, any of the garage doors are opened or motion is detected.

Comment

I tried editing the event of the Garage door opening that triggers the two separate events of turning the lights on for 15 minutes, if they are not already on. It didn't work. Have to eat dinner now, will try other things later.

Here's what didn't work:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Problem may be that you are cancelling the device action after queuing the child events. The event engine is asynchronous, so the child events could actually run before the cancel action. Result would be that the child event's delay actions get cancelled immediately (if this makes any sense...)
                      Try moving the cancel action ahead of calling the child events.

Comment

The following didn't work. The lights came on, but never went off. I'll try another action next.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Another failure below. The lights went off 15min after first opening, not 2nd opening. I may just need to start over. Cause now the more I think about it, would be better to have the lights go off X minutes after closing.
                          So... would need these criteria

> Garage door opens
                          > If lights are not on, turn them on. (2 different circuits looked at independently). If lights are already on, don't turn them on or off.
                          > Garage door closes, turn lights off after 5 minutes. (unless they were already on.).
                          > If garage door opens within that 5 min window, would need to have lights still go off 5min after 2nd closing. Unless they were already on before initial opening of garage.

This is getting complex fast... only been on this software for about a week, certainly a new way of thinking. Thanks for the help.

Failure...:
                          Attached Files

Comment

To make it simpler - you don't need the condition that the light is already on; you can turn them on again. That way you can have the removed delayed action right before setting up the delayed off.

A problem I see with your logic is that with the 'isn't on' condition in there, you don't run the child event actions, so you'll never set the 2nd delay action.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                              To make it simpler - you don't need the condition that the light is already on; you can turn them on again. That way you can have the removed delayed action right before setting up the delayed off.

A problem I see with your logic is that with the 'isn't on' condition in there, you don't run the child event actions, so you'll never set the 2nd delay action.
                              I have that in there, because if the lights are already on for some other reason, I don't want this to be a trigger to turn them off. For instance, the front eve lights are on every night sunset to 10p, or the garage flood lights may be on while playing basketball in the driveway.

Comment

Working...
                              X