Learning Events and Struggling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've read a lot of the posts but I'm stuck on something basic. If I knew what I was stuck on, I probably wouldn't have to write this.

I have a Linear garage door opener and a Zee S2. That part is fine. I want to create an event that notifies me on my smartphone when the garage door is opened. I "assume" this would happen through the HS Touch app.

I see that when the garage door is closed the value is "0" and the string is "Closed". Now I specify if the value changes then Send message...

Nothing happens, that I can see when I Run the event action. I expected to get a notification of some sort on my phone. What am I missing?
    Attached Files

You should probably check out the pushover plugin. It's designed specifically for this kind of situation. I don't have the hardware you're using so I can't comment on that portion of your event but using HSTouch for notifications is not advisable because it doesn't make the transition from Wi-Fi to cellular data well... or at all. Also pushover has a very clear and itemized display of all notifications received so you have a visual history to peruse.

Are you using Android perhaps? If so you can pare the Tasker plugin with pushover for extra special notifications.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

There should be a method to send email to your cell via SMS.
      1. all Cell phone manufacturers should allow you to send to SMS via email . I know that verizon uses the format "number@vtext.com".
      2. setup an outbound email account in Tools - Setup - Email. I use a Gmail account for all my home network equipment.
      3. in your event you should be able to configure a then "send an email"
      A. in the to field enter your cell's email to SMS SMTP email address.
      B fill in the remaining fields.

Alternatively, you could setup pushover. but note that pushover's payment is required when you add smart device clients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Kerat; December 14, 2016, 01:05 AM.

Comment

I've read a lot of the posts but I'm stuck on something basic. If I knew what I was stuck on, I probably wouldn't have to write this.

I have a Linear garage door opener and a Zee S2. That part is fine. I want to create an event that notifies me on my smartphone when the garage door is opened. I "assume" this would happen through the HS Touch app.

I see that when the garage door is closed the value is "0" and the string is "Closed". Now I specify if the value changes then Send message...

Nothing happens, that I can see when I Run the event action. I expected to get a notification of some sort on my phone. What am I missing?
        Unfortunately this option is a bit open to interpretation, the option to send a message via HSTouch is actually only when the HSTouch application is open and connected to HomeSeer, then you will get a pop up notification. It will not send it as a push notification which would appear anytime on your phone.

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
        1. all Cell phone manufacturers should allow you to send to SMS via email . I know that verizon uses the format "number@vtext.com".
        2. setup an outbound email account in Tools - Setup - Email. I use a Gmail account for all my home network equipment.
        3. in your event you should be able to configure a then "send an email"
        A. in the to field enter your cell's email to SMS SMTP email address.
        B fill in the remaining fields.

Alternatively, you could setup pushover. but note that pushover's payment is required when you add smart device clients.

I know that email-SMS seems to be available in the US but outside of the US it appears to be relatively rare, sending bulk SMS is quite a lucrative market here and that's why third party gateway services are the ones that allow this email to SMS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
          +1 Works very well for me.

If, for some reason you cannot send an email to your phone, I've found that Yahoo mail or GMail running on my phone work almost as well. Sometimes there is a short delay, but typically only a few seconds.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
            You should probably check out the pushover plugin. It's designed specifically for this kind of situation. I don't have the hardware you're using so I can't comment on that portion of your event but using HSTouch for notifications is not advisable because it doesn't make the transition from Wi-Fi to cellular data well... or at all. Also pushover has a very clear and itemized display of all notifications received so you have a visual history to peruse.

Are you using Android perhaps? If so you can pare the Tasker plugin with pushover for extra special notifications.
            I recommend the Pushover plug-in as well. Performance on the Android devices that I have used it on is pretty much unbeatable.

Comment

It seems to be working fine. I have a gmail account just for security purposes. I set it up to send an email to myphonenumber@vtext.com and CC my wife. It pops up as an SMS message on the phones within seconds of the door opening. Thanks for the suggestions because this way I don't need more plugins since my limit is five.

Now I need to figure out timing, such as don't apply event when I'm home but if the door is open for more than an hour, then remind me. What a learning experience.

@Kerat, the solution was to send an SMS message via email not the other way around. At least that's what working for me.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by racerfern; December 14, 2016, 04:46 PM. Reason: better explanation

Comment

Glad to hear you got it working. Well, for my occupancy I have a home/away occupancy virtual device that I tie as a condition in my events.

To determine occupancy you could:
                1. tie in an alarm system and set it to away when armed.
                2. use phlocation and a phone app to tell HS3 when you are home. (I am playing with this currently)
                3 configure a Bluetooth beacon to detect your phones when they are close to home.

Comment

I created this event yesterday and it seemed to work fine. However this morning, the bell did not work because it was never told to work and I don't understand why. Any suggestions are welcome.
                  Log follows:

Jan-04 05:26:25 Z-Wave Device: Doors Living Room Front Door Sensor Status Set to Off/Closed/No Motion
                  Jan-04 05:26:18 Z-Wave Device: Security Notification Front Door Home Security Set to NOTIFICATION for type Home Security, Event: Intrusion Unknown Location
                  Jan-04 05:26:18 Z-Wave Device: Doors Living Room Front Door Sensor Status Set to On/Open/Motion
                  Attached Files

Comment

One thing that looks odd is that your status is changes and becomes Opened however the plugin reports On/Open/Motion. I have noticed that the value status pairs in HomeSeer can become reset on occasion for reasons completely unknown. I would try selecting another option in the 'Opened' drop down and then see if it behaves any better. It would be odd though as that should work off of a value rather than a status but you never know.

Comment

Working...
                    X