X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC died

Hi,
    today my HS computer died.
    I brought it to my local dealer an he said that the main board is corrupt but
    the HDD seems to be OK.
    It is a Fujitsu Q9000 mini pc.
    So I have to buy a new one.
    Is it possible to remove the HDD from the new pc and built in the old one ?
    Is it possible to run Homeseer from my old HDD as external HDD ?
    What other solutions do you recommend ?
    Any help would be very welcome !!!

Best regards,
    Fischi

Generally speaking you should be able to put the old HD into the new PC - but it does depend on space and connectors.

However. You might want to consider getting an 'adapter' from ebay that allows you to connect an HD as a usb drive.

Then install HS as a trial on your new PC, then copy the entire HS directory from the old HD onto the new install and overwrite the files.

Then - you will have your old HS setup just as it was before the PC died.

Good luck.

Comment

What OS are you running? Windows is likely to complain if it cannot recognize the motherboard.

As Ian suggested, I'd install a fresh copy of HS on the new machine, then copy the HS directory from the old drive over the one on the new drive.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks Ian and Mike,
        What's about the COM ports for z-wave controllers and TI 103 X10 controllers ?
        Are there the same ports used as the "old" ones ?
        Do I find my backups for my z-wave networks again ?

It's such a pity !
        Fischi

PS.: Mike, I've running win7 64bit professional.

Comment

I've used ghost for many years and have moved my HS from one server to another numerous times. Plug-and-play should find the usual stuff. For anything else, you should be able to download the appropriate drivers. You will need to play with comm ports and the like but it can be done. I have not experienced other side affects.

Robert
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

For a reliable experience I would recommend doing as Ian stated. Get an adapter and use your old HD as a backup drive.
            - Build your new PC using the same operating system as your old one.
            - Load the same version of HS3 or as close as you can find to what you were running.
            - Attach your external devices and load the same plugins you were running.
            - Then backup the HS3 directory on the new PC.
            - Try overlaying your entire HS3 folder from the old hard drive.

This has worked for me in the past.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

... I've talked with my local pc dealer.
              He said it's entirely possible to replace the new HDD with my old HDD into my new pc.
              After that I have to install the still missing drivers.
              This would be the best solution for me because I had running also HS2 and
              many other applications like Jon00 fan control, HS2-HS3 connector .....
              on my old pc so it will not take me too much time to have my whole system
              running again.
              I hope so !

Fischi

Comment

Like I said.. I've done this many times since I started this back in HS1 with absolutely no issue. In fact my present system is migrated from an older system 1.5 years ago. I did it because I wanted faster hardware for HS3. Again, just ghosted the drive onto the new system. I have never had a BSOD and it runs extremely well..

Robert
                HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

PC died

Agreed with Ianireland. You should not be worried about that particular OS, just the HS3 software and settings. I would note that I believe that you need to ensure that the trial HS3 is the same version as your recovered HS3 was.
                  Keeping the old hard drive, just means your using an old HDD with a new PC. The likelihood that the old HDD will fail increases year over year.
                  Your USB interface and COM port names may change when moving to the new computer. You should be able to edit the HS3 config to update them to the new naming conventions once you are back online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                    For a reliable experience I would recommend doing as Ian stated. Get an adapter and use your old HD as a backup drive.
                    - Build your new PC using the same operating system as your old one.
                    - Load the same version of HS3 or as close as you can find to what you were running.
                    - Attach your external devices and load the same plugins you were running.
                    - Then backup the HS3 directory on the new PC.
                    - Try overlaying your entire HS3 folder from the old hard drive.

This has worked for me in the past.
                    Thanks Rupp,
                    my old HS3 is 3.0.0.297 (Beta)
                    Where can I get this version for my new installation ?

Regards,
                    Fischi

Comment

You can load the latest release which is .298 and it should work.
                      http://homeseer.com/current-downloads.html
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

It's running again !

Hi,
                        I have my HS2 / HS3 system running OK on my new PC : Fujitsu Q556 .
                        There is still one issue :
                        I can't shutdown my HS3 .
                        There come some messages in the .log "shutting down ::::::" but it doesn't shutdown completely .
                        If I go then to the task manager and want to shutdown this HS3 task there
                        comes the windows message : "The program is not responding " .
                        Only killing the HS3 process stops my HS3.

There is the issue ?

Regards,
                        Fischi

Comment

Working...
                        X