ZWAVE door sensor with external switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZWAVE door sensor with external switch

I am new to HS and am switching over from Vera. I've been a long time user of Vera but for a variety of reasons I decided to make the switch. I'm in the process of porting my devices over.

I am running into an issue porting over my external gate control setup. It comprises of a zwave on/off switch that is used to toggle the gate to open/close. A separate zwave contact sensor is used to determine the status of the gate, whether it is close/open. Since the gate is fairly long (~20ft) and it is metal, I cannot use the rather small magnet that comes with the ZD2012. I have a separate magnetic sensor that I connect external to the zwave contact sensor. The zwave contact sensor is a Monoprice/Vision ZD2012. The external magnetic contact sensor is a Seco-Larm SM-226Q.

The ZD2012 when used with an external switch sends a type 01 level 11 signal. This is also the same as the tamper signal. With Vera, they had a bug where their firmware ignored tamper signal (type 01 level 11). This also means then my setup with the ZD2012 with an external will not work as the signal sent is ignore. Vera did end up fixing this in one of their more recent updates.

I have confirmed that HS3 is able to receive the signal using the magnet and without external switch (refer to the 2 screenshots below). I've also run a continuity test with the external switch (without the ZD2012) to confirm that the external switch is working

ZD2012 with magnet in open position

ZD2012 with magnet in closed position

With the external switch, HS3 is seeing a status change. Refer to screenshot below. The "Home Security" changed from "Intrusion Unknown location" without the external switch to "Unknown" with an external switch. However the open/close status does not change

I've already sent an email to HS support nearly 3 weeks ago. I've talked to 3 separate techs over the phone. So far, all that's happened is me repeating my story to 3 different people with a promise that they'll forward the issue along. Ironically, experience with tech support here has been a far less satisfying experience than what I was used to with Vera. Hence I am turning to the user community to see if anyone knows anything that can help.

I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

Did you ever find a solution for using an external switch?

Comment

Working...
    X