Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The fix for "ASP.Net page" errors when running as service or task.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fix for "ASP.Net page" errors when running as service or task.

When running HS3 as a background task via Task Scheduler or as a service, you may have seen errors in the log such as:
    Code:
    ASP.Net page: Could not load file or assembly 'HomeSeerUtil,  Version=3.0.0.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its  dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified
    when visiting the WebUI or when assessing third party aspx files.

The fix for this is quite simple:

Add (Change the path as required)
    Code:
    [FONT=Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]<compilation tempDirectory="C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\html\temp" />[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    inside the
    Code:
    <system.web>
    tag in the html\web.config file. Make sure it is not inside <!-- --> tags.

This tells HS3 to store the asp.net files in a folder HS3 actually has access to.

I've already forwarded HomeSeer the technical reason behind the bug and the fix for it.

Cheers,

Josh

This post is over 2 years old yet Homeseer hasn't addressed this simple fix. rjh is there some reason this configuration change can't be made to new installs so we don't have to update this file every time we update the HS3 version? I don't see how it could cause other problems.

Comment

Submitted a ticket as I could not find anything on forum, but tried again via Google search and stumbled on this thread.

Tried the suggestion, and error immediately gone, and more importantly jon00 PerfMon plugin started working correct, as it worked fine on the initial sync, but then refuse to update when the 5-minute update trigger lapsed.

Weird how something like this is overlooked when they have been made aware of it, but if they reply to my support ticket I will mention that this fix works and hopefully they can implement it automatic somehow.

Comment

Are you starting the HS3.exe as an admin user?
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post
          jon00 PerfMon plugin started working correct, as it worked fine on the initial sync, but then refuse to update when the 5-minute update trigger lapsed.
          I can assure you that this issue has nothing to do with PerfMon which does not use ASPX web pages. Your observation is purely coincidental.

Jon

Comment

Just installed 3.0.0.548 and this simple change still hasn't been implemented. I suppose this is an indication that HST could care less.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
              Just installed 3.0.0.548 and this simple change still hasn't been implemented. I suppose this is an indication that HST could care less.
              Are you starting the HS3.exe as an admin user?

Comment

Rupp correct, it is a Win 10 box in a secure LAN environment so I did not want to waste a lot of time setting up limited user accounts to sandbox additional security layers and just run everything from the one user account (called "HomeSeer") that indeed is an admin user.

HS3.exe is launched via Task Scheduler with the option set to launch at the highest privilege. Could go as far as just disable UAC on the machine, or adjust the "Program Files (x86)" folder to stop adding inheritance on the "HomeSeer HS3" folder and allow "Everyone" write access. If somebody is able to gain access to my LAN to get that far as to write files to that folder I've got bigger problems, so reducing the security back to the way WinXP was is fine with me for this particular situation.

Everything has been working fine, launched as Background process, and I was not even aware there was a problem.

Then I installed jon00 PerfMon and did the manual launch method, immediately the values would sync and it appeared working, but then 15 minutes later no updates. Confused I figured I must have screwed something up; time for a full restart and verify if it works. Windows restarted, HS3 launched, PerfMon showed, updated with new time, but 10 minutes later no updates. Looked in log files and saw those errors which I immediately suspected as the cause, since they were the only errors.

Added the web.config line, rebooted the system, HS3 ran, PerfMon synced, errors in logs gone, and exactly 5 minutes later PerfMon was updating.

I personally don't believe in coincidences, so the fact that adding that line made PerfMon work is what made me strongly suspect this was a solution.

Have a bunch of DIY projects lined up for the weekend to get new location finished more, and install more Z-Wave devices, but maybe tonight I will take out the web.config changes, reboot system and confirm. If PerfMon stops working again there must be a connection, but if it remains functional then indeed it was just a big "coincidence"

Comment

All of you guys need to put in a support ticket on this issue as I'm sure it's very very low on the radar since it's not been reported in a long time.

Comment

I can see it in my log. Maybe the reason it is not reported is that very many customers may not look at the log?

Comment

Thanks Josh !!

Incredibly this issue still existing in HS4, and I've just used your HS3 workaround to get it working (yet) again.

Comment

It still exist in HS4 and after opening a ticket on Dec20th (HSCS-4054) the ticket was Declined from HS Support friday without further explanations !

Comment

Originally posted by goldriver View Post
                          It still exist in HS4 and after opening a ticket on Dec20th (HSCS-4054) the ticket was Declined from HS Support friday without further explanations !
                          For the record this ticket was not declined. It was listed as a bug and hasn't been looked at since HS doesn't support running HS3/HS4 as a service. HS hasn't been supported officially as a service ever but as you can see some users have found a way to make it work. These types of issues are support nightmares which is why HST choose not to support these configurations.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

For the record this ticket was not declined. It was listed as a bug and hasn't been looked at since HS doesn't support running HS3/HS4 as a service. HS hasn't been supported officially as a service ever but as you can see some users have found a way to make it work. These types of issues are support nightmares which is why HST choose not to support these configurations.
                            Whilst HS3/HS4 may not support running as a service, it certainly IS supported to run as a scheduled startup task where this issue still exists.

If the ticket only shows issues with a service then this needs to be updated to include a scheduled task.
                            Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post

Whilst HS3/HS4 may not support running as a service, it certainly IS supported to run as a scheduled startup task where this issue still exists.

If the ticket only shows issues with a service then this needs to be updated to include a scheduled task.
                              Here is how the ticket was entered: HSCS-4054 ASP.Net page" errors when running as service or task, and I explicitely mentionned : Create a scheduled task to start homeseer
                              try running an aspx script (In my case the problem was with running jon00 aspx scripts) the following message appears in the log file: ....

Comment

Working...
                              X