Linked Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linked Device

If this is the wrong place to discuss, please feel free to move it.

The new linked devices feature in the zee 2 beta release is amazing! Works so much faster than creating an event to manage. It is really brilliant idea.

So basically it allows you to control a device from another device by linking them. I have a number of events that turn on a series of lights if I turn one on. But there was sometimes a delay of a few seconds. For example I turn on the light at the top of the stairs and an event runs to turn the two basement lights on. Now I have linked the stairs light to basement light a and basement light a to b and the three as one.

Curious..... what's the difference between this and associations? My guess is that this works across all devices and not just ones that support association?

Second question... where is that functionality? Is it in the Zee, or in the software (as I'm running a Z-net with HS3)

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
      Second question... where is that functionality? Is it in the Zee, or in the software (as I'm running a Z-net with HS3)
      It was added in the .307 beta version: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=181241

Cheers
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Basically it is a way of controlling one device from another. When I turn light going down to the basement on, it has one of the two additional basement lights linked and it turns it on. That light has the second light linked, so it automatically turns it on. Likewise when I get to the top of the stairs and turn the light going downstairs off, all the basement lights turn off because they are linked. The really cool thing is this is instaneous, whereas when I create events it can take several seconds. Very cool. You can only link one device to another, but you can chain them as I have for the basement lights. I think many of us have devices that all turn on or off together and this is a great way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
          Curious..... what's the difference between this and associations? My guess is that this works across all devices and not just ones that support association?

I think the beta software is only zee 2 right now. As with most home automation, there are many ways to accomplish the same task. Cheers to homeseer for this new feature.

Comment

Originally posted by wkomorow View Post
            I think the beta software is only zee 2 right now. As with most home automation, there are many ways to accomplish the same task. Cheers to homeseer for this new feature.
            It's available for Windows too.

Comment

Cool, thanks I did not know that.

Comment

I can confirm this does NOT work correctly on different devices. IN my case a dimmer to an appliance module. nothing happens with ON, but it does work on OFF. Guess that makes sense..

Comment

Odd. All my devices are binary, so maybe it only works on on/off and not a device with %. I went wild with it and have over 20 devices linked it has worked on each device I tried. Have not tried virtual devices yet.

Comment

I'm guessing that they must use the same values for it to work So if one has 99 for On, but the other has 255 for On, it won't work. I'll do some testing with that later today.

Cheers
                    Al

Comment

This sounds fantastic. Any ideas as to when this will find it's way to production? I've only been running Homseer for about three days, so I have no idea how the software updates flow.

Comment

It is hard to say when things move from beta to production. My sense is that when there is rapid development,like with the Echo integration, it happens more quickly. However, I have noticed that sometimes we can go a long time without seeing an update.

Anything you can do with linked devices, you can do with events today; however my experience is that with linked devices the action on the other devices is nearly instantaneous, whereas control using events may or may not have a multi-second delay.

Comment

I have the latest version for my Zee S2 but for the life of me I can't find where to begin with linking. Can someone please post a screenshot of the screen,thanks.

Comment

In the beta release - configuration page:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1189020

Comment

Doh! I was on .297 and didn't read the line properly about the available beta.

That won't happen again.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X