Any way to get homeseer to send a text?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any way to get homeseer to send a text?

So I have a gate that controls access to my house and you can send a text to the gate's phone number to open the gate. The gate has its own sim to allow this.

I have an application for it but it would be nice to integrate this with homeseer so I can create events that open & close the gate.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
    Rick

There's the SMS plugin:

https://forums.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1158

requires a bit of hardware.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I have HS3 mail me at my cellphone#@vtext.com (Verizon) and it works great and happens within a few seconds. Some users have had delays using this but I'm very happy with this easy way of texting.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I agree with @Rupp. Have HS send you an email to your phone number.

For Verizon it's phonenumber@vtext.com. It's what I have and it works flawlessly.

For other providers this should help.
        http://www.wikihow.com/Email-to-a-Cell-Phone

Comment

I guess the option to email-SMS is only going to be there if the SIM in the gate is on a provider that allows for this?

If you were up to a challenge there are plenty of modem modules on eBay that you could talk to through the AT command set. I managed to get one for about $2 the other day that I soldered myself and I put a SIM in, the AT command set is pretty easy to use and you can send SMS relatively easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            I have HS3 mail me at my cellphone#@vtext.com (Verizon) and it works great and happens within a few seconds. Some users have had delays using this but I'm very happy with this easy way of texting.
            So, the gate's sim is on t-mobile so text to email is an option, but the problem is that the gate requires a special code via the text. So for example, lets say the code is 1234.

The gate must receive a message with ONLY 1234 in it. I just tried to send the gate a text via email and I cc'd my number on there (also on t-mobile) and the text that arrives basically goes like this:

my email/ no subject / 1234.

Gate doesnt like that lol so it does not work. But maybe I could change the gate to accept the code as all of that? If it accepts text that is... i'll have to try.

Any way around that issue? I don't think I will be able to buy hardware and solder or even buy another sim for my homeseer only.

Thanks all!

[EDIT] - I dont think I can program the gate to accept text. It only has a num pad on it so I can only have it open/close to numbers.

Comment

SMS plugin. I use it to open my front door, garage door and the sliding gate..works perfectly...

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
              HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Pete, how do you have a text open your front door? I can have HS send me a text using the Number@vtext, but how do I send HS a text to trigger an event?

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                  There's the SMS plugin:

https://forums.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1158

requires a bit of hardware.

Cheers
                  Al
                  I picked this up and am using a $15 Huawei (blechhh) usb dongle from EBAY. Picked up a sim card from my vendor (AT&T) and added it to family plan with unlimited text. Works like a charm. So for 20 bucks plus the cost of the plug-in, you're in business.
                  My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

See text belt. I use it with curl at work...

https://textbelt.com/

I also use the vtext.com email address as Rupp pointed out...
                    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                    Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                    weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Working...
                    X