Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaker stops speaking

Hi Folks

Installed latest update, not sure if it has anything to do with the issue. Using Windows 7 and HS3 standard. Speaker app is on the same box

The default voice (anna) stops speaking. The balloon pops up and I can see the dialogue in the speaker box but no audio. If I click on "sample" button under audio/tts it seems to kick the voices into life for a few minutes. Then I run another event, bubble pops up but no audio....

Weird as, never seen this so intermittent....

Nothing in the logs at all to show any app has stalled or failed.

I've used the built in soundcard and tried a USB soundcard with exactly the same results.

Any ideas ?
    HS 2.2.0.11

OK I've done a little more research and it appears when I've logged into HS (with the speaker app) using remote desktop , the audio speaks.

WHen I log off the machine remotely it wont speak

OK, thats officially weird, I have no idea whats going on :-)

Any pointers ?
    HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

OK, I think I got to the bottom of the issue.

It appears under TTS and advanced settings that it was sending the TTS to "remote app" which I suspect was the HS_Speaker app....I set it back to the "default audio device" and now it works.

Rebooted the device and the audio works...

It weird, when I used RDP to connect remotely the audio came out of the default device fine, when I disconnected RDP it sent it to the "remote app"...

Its just a mystery :-)
      HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Remote Desktop will switch the sound but there's an option in the RDP connection form to leave the sound at the remote PC. Also search this board for disconnect.bat as this is a file that can reside on your remote desktop and be used to quit your RDP session and not alter the sound.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I started using VNC to my HS system to eliminate these types of issues with RDP.

Cheers
          Al
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks guys....

What would happen is I'd boot homeseer PC, I'd hear the windows startup sound and then "welcome to Homeseer". I'd trigger a TTS event and I'd hear nothing, this was even before I RDP'd into the machine.

I found the issue to be under WIndows TTS/Advanced option. It would set the output device as the "remote app" which I suspect was speaker.exe.

I changed it over to "default output" and that seems to work. I was able to reboot the PC and then trigger the event and get the Audio.

Yes, weird and no idea why.....but now it works. The wife went to the front door and decided to give me 30+ announcement as she opened and closed the door :-) and then said "we need this why"...
            HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Originally posted by petez69 View Post
              and then said "we need this why"...
              Because we CAN
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Someone tell me what VNC and RDP stand for.

Comment

RDP = Remote Desktop Protocol
                  VNC = Virtual Network Computing

Both are protocols used for remote desktop control of servers and workstations. RDP is used with Microsoft systems and clients exists for many platforms. VNC is an open protocol and servers and clients exists for many platforms.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
                  HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                  Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                    RDP = Remote Desktop Protocol
                    VNC = Virtual Network Computing

Both are protocols used for remote desktop control of servers and workstations.
                    I'm not a network guy, so thank you for the insight.

I just upgraded to HS3 and put it on a different machine. Now I have no TTS audio, but do have the balloons. Speaker client must be sending the audio somewhere, I just have to find it.

(time passes and brain turns on) I found the problem. Apparently "Microsoft Mike" no longer works. Selecting a different voice works.

Thanks again!
                    Last edited by Dave W; March 8, 2017, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Dave

AS per the attached image, I had to go to speech properties and then under voice speed, advanced. WHen it was failing "use this audio device" was "remote speaker" which was weird. I checked the radio button to "use preferred audio output device" and that now works....

Its worked for 2 days now and hasn't flipped back so I'm happy :-)

I downloaded "Allison" from Cepstral, I might just buy it :-)

Pete
                      Attached Files
                      HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Working...
                      X